Colorado Elk in Crested Butte or Gunnison area

KHNC

WKR
Well, with all of the info in this thread, i would not expect that area to be nearly as good next year. Plenty of lurkers on here daily. You can bet MANY have taken note of the exact locations mentioned.

Well, with all of the info in this thread, i would not expect that area to be nearly as good next year. Plenty of lurkers on here daily. You can bet MANY have taken note of the exact locations mentioned.

Which nugget did you think was most useful? I can't think of anything that would make me pack my bags and head that way. Most of the comments led me to believe that it's not that good. Hell, I spend a lot of time in the area every year, it would be WAY down on the list of places I would want to go hunting.

J78

FNG
I have hunted elk and mule deer in 55 at least half a dozen times over the last 10 years as a nonresident. My parents have a home outside Crested butte so this is where my Western hunting adventures started. I have only hunted first and second rifle seasons no archery. Most of the back country where the elk will be is very rugged and steep. My last two elk I killed up there were both taken at about 11,000 feet and many miles from any road. All my hunts have been DIY. Definitely not an easy hunt but if you get high and off the road you can find success. Between my brother in law and myself we have pulled 5 bulls out of 55 over the years. Included are pics of my last 2. I’m new to the forum deal, but feel free to private message me if you want to visit.FECE2BC7-E18E-4DC6-902B-7811DDEB8F4B.jpeg39653034-0043-409B-9C2A-416F8B7461D8.jpeg

Ktm500

FNG
Our group hunted 55 a couple years ago. The hikers and dirt bike riders were pretty much everywhere. I was shocked at how deep I was and still running into hikers. We seen some elk but I don’t think I would go there again. We took our families to gunnison and crested butte this summer and it was crazy how many people were there. We camped by spring creek reservoir and I didn't think we were going to find a place to camp because it was so crowded. We literally got one of the last places to camp on the whole road.

Bulldawg

WKR
Since you're new to the forum stuff I'll just give you a tip. Delete your post. It's bad forum etiquette to post up that kind of thing, especially OTC units.

I think the real prick in this whole ordeal is the OP who keeps bumping this thread up to get the gullible to spill the beans all over the internet.

I have hunted elk and mule deer in 55 at least half a dozen times over the last 10 years as a nonresident. My parents have a home outside Crested butte so this is where my Western hunting adventures started. I have only hunted first and second rifle seasons no archery. Most of the back country where the elk will be is very rugged and steep. My last two elk I killed up there were both taken at about 11,000 feet and many miles from any road. All my hunts have been DIY. Definitely not an easy hunt but if you get high and off the road you can find success. Between my brother in law and myself we have pulled 5 bulls out of 55 over the years. Included are pics of my last 2. I’m new to the forum deal, but feel free to private message me if you want to visit.View attachment 210978View attachment 210979

OP
T
Thanks for the “tip”. But I’m new to this “forum” stuff. I appreciate your feedback, but my tip to you would be if you don’t like a forum post don’t read or participate. I agree that shared info should be taken offline. I have offered some awesome hunting locations to folks who have shared any info with me. Also, I have committed to not share any info with anyone else withOut explicit permission. I only posted the thread to get some insight into the area. Nowhere in my questions did I ask for specific locations. I know unit has tons of trails so I would expect non hunting traffic so I wondered if it remained heavy during hunting season and potential outfitter references. Sorry if I stepped on toes, but lace up boots are required while participating in this “forum” stuff.

Thanks for the “tip”. But I’m new to this “forum” stuff. I appreciate your feedback, but my tip to you would be if you don’t like a forum post don’t read or participate. I agree that shared info should be taken offline. I have offered some awesome hunting locations to folks who have shared any info with me. Also, I have committed to not share any info with anyone else withOut explicit permission. I only posted the thread to get some insight into the area. Nowhere in my questions did I ask for specific locations. I know unit has tons of trails so I would expect non hunting traffic so I wondered if it remained heavy during hunting season and potential outfitter references. Sorry if I stepped on toes, but lace up boots are required while participating in this “forum” stuff.

If someone does give you permission to share info, how many people do you share the info with, and how many people do they share the info with?

OP
T
I trust the guys I hunt with (with my life every time we hunt together). If I ask them not to share(which I have) they won’t share. Their integrity means as much to them as mine does to me. I would name the 2-3 people I share with and provide contact info. This reaction to shared info is the very reason Any help is so hard to get. My reputation and word mean more to me that all the elk in Colorado. If some were to share specific info with me I would respect the info the same as I would private property. In my mind he has granted me access to info that he has gained over time and has trusted me to not abuse that access.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're new to the forum stuff I'll just give you a tip. Delete your post. It's bad forum etiquette to post up that kind of thing, especially OTC units.

I think the real prick in this whole ordeal is the OP who keeps bumping this thread up to get the gullible to spill the beans all over the internet.

Bulldawg

WKR
"Prick " . Grow up . Immature bullchit .

d384e1b36d342fb1b75acd7e067f1f68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hunted 54 and 55. Did not see many successful hunters in 54 the year I hunted it. The wilderness in 54 is hard to get into and back out without horses. Good luck this fall