Combining Insulation Jackets

LJ Buck

WKR
Does anyone run for example the Kenia with a brooks down instead of maybe a lost parka or the SG Grumman.

Combining 2 insulation jackets allowing for versatility instead of one jacket that mainly is only used when stationary.

With all the active insulation like the kenia or sitka Kelvin active does it make anyone rethink the use of just having one puffy so they can add an active insulation piece without a huge weight penalty?

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I think Aron Snyder does this. He’s a huge proponent of the kelvin active and his own companies LPP. That being said he self-proclaims he doesn’t like the cold and he’s a beast who can carry heavier loads than most so there’s that.

I would try it if I got a kelvin active for free but that will never happen so for now I wear a puffy kelvin lite vest when I need extra warmth on the go, then put a puffy over when I’m stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I run the LPP with the Ghar or the Torrid jacket from enlightened equipment.

It's best not to have a hood on the puffy that goes underneath.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have a torrid apex jacket as well that I have used in combination with a LPP or down vest. Or down vest with superdown jacket. Or...?
I'm going to add a torrid apex vest, no hood (about 6 oz) that will compliment any of my insulated jackets since for activity I really prefer the vest and sometimes feel bound up a little when I stack jackets.

Ryan - what puffy vest are you wearing in that elk pic from last season? ....I think the one at 700 yards with the 300 PRC?

I do on occasion. I find it can get a bit complex with the overlapping layers but it is manageable. I have run my kelvin active jacket and uncomphagre under other layers.

As some have noted above, a light puffy plus a vest is a neat combo.

I ran a kelvin active jacket and a kelvin light vest for one trip. I like the vest option for less bulk in the arms. I have also ran a down vest both under and over a lighter insulating garment.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
After looking at the Op's question

I look at this differently if I want to double up my insulation. I don't want active insulation. I run hot and don't have on insulation unless I am stopped glassing or at the tent even in November/December. Do you guys walk around with puffy pieces on?

Jbehredt

WKR
I put a first lite cirrus under an uncompahgre pretty regularly. If the plan is for high and low activity on the same day. Works better than one heavier jacket for me. Still have a Grumman if low activity is the main objective.

AndyB

WKR
I run a kenai which doubles as a soft shell too, hard shell over the top if I need more warmth, and I also carry a superdown vest which fits nicely underneath everything if temps get really frigid.. Versatile system for me.

@ Ryan Avery, is the Tradecraft vest really worth $240? I'm looking for a very warm vest and it look's like what I'm looking for but that's a good bit of money for a vest.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
@ Ryan Avery, is the Tradecraft vest really worth $240? I'm looking for a very warm vest and it look's like what I'm looking for but that's a good bit of money for a vest.

No it’s not that warm. I like it because it doesn't have bulk on the sides. I’m not a vest fan.

Last edited:

Chuck44

FNG
I have been pondering a very similar scenario as the OP. Has anyone combined an uncompahgre vest under an uncompahgre puffy? I have both (both in Large) but have never worn them together and was wondering how they would work together if I found myself needing more insulation than the Puffy? I believe they would stack to 200 grams of insulation in the body and 60 in the sleeves. I am comfortable stationary in the low 20s in the Puffy +Sawtooth+Merino Base and was figuring if I added the vest, the combo might take me in to the high single digits....or at least low-teens.

Here's what I normally have:
Merino short sleeve shirt, medium/heavy weight merino long sleeve shirt, hoodie, down jacket, soft shell

This will allow me to shed layers while moving and add layers when stationary. I can mix and match as necessary without taking up too much space in my pack.

If I were to add another insulation piece, I'd add a down vest or replace my down jacket with a heavier version. If I am moving then I am not wearing an insulation piece.

While not directly related, I never sit directly on the ground when it is cold. I am either sitting on a glassing stool or half a Thermarest Z-Lite pad. The ground will sap your body's heat away.

Napperm4

WKR
Where I hike / hunt is one of the windiest places in the world. (Look up southern Alberta chinook) so I find the wind is what kills my warmth more than anything. I dumped the first lite uncomphagre because it didn’t cut wind and was too hot for moving around in. I too replaced it with a kenai and gave up the wind proofing.

I layer a Kuiu peloton 240 under it (hoodie and kenai is unhooded) for stopping wind. That combo keeps me comfortable very close to freezing, even when stationary. The fleece adds a few degrees of warmth and with the wind proof hood and beanie I’m quite comfortable.

In colder weather I use the kenai / peloton with a down puffy overtop when I’m stationary to glass.

Where I hike / hunt is one of the windiest places in the world. (Look up southern Alberta chinook) so I find the wind is what kills my warmth more than anything. I dumped the first lite uncomphagre because it didn’t cut wind and was too hot for moving around in. I too replaced it with a kenai and gave up the wind proofing.

I layer a Kuiu peloton 240 under it (hoodie and kenai is unhooded) for stopping wind. That combo keeps me comfortable very close to freezing, even when stationary. The fleece adds a few degrees of warmth and with the wind proof hood and beanie I’m quite comfortable.

In colder weather I use the kenai / peloton with a down puffy overtop when I’m stationary to glass.
Curious why you are using the 240 under the Kenai and not the other way around?

If he's like me I rather have the windbreaker closer to my body. It also doesn't compress the insulation
Ryan,

Why do you prefer the 240 under the Kenai? In my mind any warmth trapped by the Kenai would be potentially "blown away" by the wind.

What am I missing with your guys' approach?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
It regulates heat you body temp better. Sound counter intuitive.

John Barklow explains in better than I can in this podcast.

Last edited: