Component availability

Lawnboi

WKR
Even when o find powder locally

“We can only sell you two pounds max, people are buying it and selling at gun shows.” Thanks A hole but I’m just trying to shoot a few matches this year.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Been looking for IMR 4831 for about 6 months now, it's nowhere I can find same with large rifle primers, especially the magnum ones, also no Hornady SST bullets, shortages yes, hording no someone is blowing smoke up our asses.
1lb'ers in stock right now.

Our local dunhams here had cases of CCI 450s a few months back. 12.99/100. I would rather stalk discord 24/7 than pay more than online prices including hazmat shipping. Went back last week looking around and they has sold every box. Crazy times all around. Popular powders tend to be showing up more and more though. Glad I'm not reloading any magnums currently.
My wife is savvy on our reloading needs. She will cruise for me when out of town. She told me she found Small Rifle and limit was 500. I didnt ask the price and simply told her to grab them. I shit when she got home and told me it was $12.99 per 100.

Super A+ for effort and thinking of the good of the Team. But F that....

EastMT

WKR
I was at a gun show talking to a dealer today, he said we are looking at $50-60 dealer cost on powder this year, that’s what his distributor told him.

On another note I have 4lbs of RL26 that I’d like to trade for some benchmark. I bought it to try out in my WSM, but decided my w760 works just fine.

11boo

WKR
Dudes with 200 pounds of powder stored in their basement for their kids is what’s driving this at this point.
Disagree. Everyone I know who is still loading a lot stocked deep when it was cheap. We aren’t buying now. When this passes, do the same.

Lawnboi

WKR
Disagree. Everyone I know who is still loading a lot stocked deep when it was cheap. We aren’t buying now. When this passes, do the same.
I was a little late to the party but was prepared. I don’t think anyone thought it was going to last this long.

Resellers are not helping. There’s a reason you can never get anything from powder valley, biggest margin

Zappaman

WKR
I used to shoot about 300 rounds of 9mm a year... now it's more like 40 rounds. The pistol shoots the same every time, it's just entertainment (for me). The 45 and 40 S&W got shot about 5 times since Covid.

When primers "come on down!" in a year or two, I'll shoot more again. Until then, I am VERY thankful I stocked up years back. I haven't bought ANYTHING in the last two years and I'll shoot less until this situation improves. If it doesn't, I'll just keep shooting less and less because ALL I REALLY NEED is about 10 bullets (and 40-60 shotgun shells) a year to "fill" my many deer and bird tags (for what I want to eat yearly).

This year:

Four Deer: three bullets (one deer was gifted to me)
Six geese: about 25 shells (I'm not a great long pass shooter, but that's what I like to hunt)
Pheasant: 15 shells or so- 6-8 birds.
One (maybe) Turkey this Spring (1-2 shells)
Elk: one shell (usually)

I always check zero (one shot, or a few more if tweaks are needed), but that sums up my ammo "needs".

Hey! I'm hunting!!! All I need- is all I need!

That said, I have enough powder, primers, and bullets to "work up some loads" (which I do 3-4 guns a year- some for friends). But I do not foresee running out of reloading stuff for my 5 calibers or several shotguns for about 20 years. Maybe the damn market will correct by then ;)

But if I had a 270 (or similar) and 100 bullets, a lb of powder, sleeve of primers, and brass-- I could go a LOT of years on that supply! But until then... reloading stuff is is super high demand right now and so I'll just shoot the minimum, be happy I have my pet loads all done and loaded, and wish the new guys luck while suggesting they focus on the ONE or TWO guns they want to use if they don't have a lot of cash to spend.

11boo

WKR
I was a little late to the party but was prepared. I don’t think anyone thought it was going to last this long.

Resellers are not helping. There’s a reason you can never get anything from powder valley, biggest margin
I have given primers away for the 20 or 30 bucks I paid, when this mess started.
Felt bad for the guys in my pistol league who couldn’t shoot because they weren’t prepared.
I considered flipping 10k for whatever they would sell for. Nah.

Not any more. I like shooting.

Nothing I have right now for powders or primers is from the last 1-2 years. I always picked up a little more than I needed over the years to build up stock and glad I did.

Edit: After posting this I went to Midway USA and ordered 2 pounds of 2000-MR powder and IMR3031. Many powders in stock as of this time on Super Bowl Sunday. I don't feel too violated on the cost of powder.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Why can't the market keep up? Everything is getting way more expensive too. It seems like the market can bear the price increases, so why not produce more?
A few manufacturer’s have said they aren’t going down the road of investing into too much more production capacity only to have it slow and then left with equipment sitting and not earning its keep like they did in the last great shortage. I can totally see that sentiment in the business decision.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep. Trump years were SLOW for the ammunition and component industries. People got complacent and didn't stock up during the good times. Lots of companies that invested in extra tooling during the Obama administration took a hit once the market slowed. These companies haven't forgotten that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, we are 2 years into the Great Shortage. Call it election, virus, whatever. Is there an end in sight? I know certain items are coming back on line (daily discord monitor here), but man it's still tough.

The big offenders for my personal use are Nosler Accubonds, Reloder powders, and large rifle magnum primers. Why can't the market keep up? Everything is getting way more expensive too. It seems like the market can bear the price increases, so why not produce more? Understand we are talking about manufacturing regulated explosives, but come on.

Before you bring up the supply/demand cycle issue FWIW, I had trouble getting Reloder 26 BEFORE the last election cycle. I would pay just about whatever they want if I could buy it at the time I need it. So why is the only consistency a lack of supply? Do they just not make enough from reloaders? Just lost on why the reloading suppliers can't seem to make any headway at all in two years time.

Take a look at Nosler. Zero product in two years. You're telling me they can't ramp up production on a process that takes copper and plastic and makes it into a specific shape within a two year time period?
But some ammo companies can send millions of rounds to the Ukraine. Not that i am against helping them. But where the heck did that ammo come from during the Great shortage. Leads me to believe product is being with held to drive up prices or some crazy scheme ls like that.

My thought is making 1 million rounds is not that hard of task, time-wise. My thinking is they are tooled up for greater capacity with respect to military rounds so it's not like they're changing out the equipment to make the million rounds.

Even when o find powder locally

“We can only sell you two pounds max, people are buying it and selling at gun shows.” Thanks A hole but I’m just trying to shoot a few matches this year.
I just want to make some bullets to practice with and hunt. Not one shop near me has had powder in at least 18 months. No joke
My thought is making 1 million rounds is not that hard of task, time-wise. My thinking is they are tooled up for greater capacity with respect to military rounds so it's not like they're changing out the equipment to make the million rounds.
Does the Ukraine army use 5.56? If not isn't that a point at which the company would have to reconfigure for 7.62. The point i originally getting at was aimed more at supply chain issues and component shortages that are supposedly plaguing the manufacturers. How arenthey all of a sudden able to pony up ammo in such quantities for free?