Coyote Call Recommendations?

Looking to get into predator hunting, looking for recommendations on what call to purchase. I will be hunting wide open areas, that do see some pressure from other electronic callers.

I have a few hand calls that I plan to learn how to use but need an e caller for the moment so I can get some stands under my belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a Crit'R Call or Dan Thompson PC2. They are so easy a "caveman could do it".
I really believe that with pressured dogs hand calls win every time because they are unique and not the same old same old you get with the electronic callers.
Predator hand calls are very easy to make good sounds on, as opposed to, say a short reed goose calls, or elk diaphragm bugle.

OP
T
Get a Crit'R Call or Dan Thompson PC2. They are so easy a "caveman could do it".
I really believe that with pressured dogs hand calls win every time because they are unique and not the same old same old you get with the electronic callers.
Predator hand calls are very easy to make good sounds on, as opposed to, say a short reed goose calls, or elk diaphragm bugle.

Thanks, would you recommend I go straight to hunting with mouth calls after a little practice? Or slowly incorporate them while using an electronic caller?

Thanks, would you recommend I go straight to hunting with mouth calls after a little practice? Or slowly incorporate them while using an electronic caller?

Start with hand calls, Carver calls and Crit'R calls are good.

OP
T
Start with hand calls, Carver calls and Crit'R calls are good.

Much of a chance I can call coyotes in while still learning or is it just as productive to sit at home and practice while I’m still trying to learn?

Much of a chance I can call coyotes in while still learning or is it just as productive to sit at home and practice while I’m still trying to learn?

Watch some videos on how to use them properly.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpUl5vCK5QirLPDhyqz27pQ

Then practice whenever you can, when I started I'd carry a call or two where ever I went. I did a lot of calling driving or just sitting around the house. You will get the hang of it pretty quick. If you can find coyotes that aren't hunted too hard, they will come into just about anything. When you first start out, finding a good area and knowing where to make stands is about the most important thing. Once you figure that out and have some success, sell some coyotes to your furbuyer and use your profit to buy a good e-caller.

Start with hand calls. The biggest difference between predator calling and most all other calling is you're trying to sound like something that is dying or thinks it's dying. No love sick cow, or snort-wheeze, or mallard feeding call. These all need to sound close to real. A rabbit or fawn screaming for it's life all sound different and all sound like food to a coyote.
Remember your lungs are likely 100 time larger than a prey animal, so don't blow a long drawn out note like you would with an elk bugle. Instead use lots of very short notes, vary the pitch, use your off hand to change the tone.
Your approach to a stand is way more important than your calling ability. Sneak in, break up your outline, MAKE SURE YOU CAN SEE DOWN WIND!! They have an uncanny ability to know which blade of grass the sound is coming from, so keep movement to an absolute minimum, because they will be looking right at you when they come.
They will almost always circle down wind. If they get your wind hold about1 fence post in front of their nose because at the point they are hauling a$$ and that's the lead you will need to dump one! :)

Be careful it's addicting!

Dana

FNG
A closed reed call is easy to master quickly, the little Circe is a good choice. Open reeds take a bit longer but are very versatile and are not prone to freezing in cold weather like the closed reeds can. Call less by hand as they are looking for you when coming in. E callers are great and an excellent way to learn. You can set them away from you of course and gain an advantage that way. Use something visual for them to home in on that sits away from you it can be anything really even just a bit of fluff that moves in the wind. Use the wind always.
Hand calling is very rewarding and can be one of the least expensive forms of hunting there is. Good luck with this....Dana

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be the odd man out here. I suck with hand calls, I never had any luck. I got a foxpro fusion last year and instantly had success. The tx1000 remote is by far the best on the market. There are other features on the call that will increase your odds, i.e. pitch, fusion of sounds, and the fading of sounds. The trick is learning what sequences work for others, and buying sounds that are aftermarket, so less people have them. I recommend reading Andrew Lewand books. They give you sequences that work, and setups to improve your chances.

dogkilr

FNG
All great advice. Hopper-Dropper is spot on too. I own both handcalls and electronic. My personal experience is I call more dogs in overcalled areas because I sound different from every e-caller out there. Being in Southern Utah we are highly over called. I can slip into an area, sit down and begin calling without the added motion, noise and time to go set up a caller.

I use Kerry Carvers calls, and the sound and volume I can get out of them does everything I need.
Don't get me wrong. There are times I utilize my e call. If I'm hunting thicker brush, or sagebrush flats and I want to get the call away from me so I can focus on incoming dogs targeting the sound instead of honed directly in on me.
I think there are reasons for both types of calls, but as I said, I have more success with my hand calls then my e calls.

Best bit of advice I can give you is don't wait around. Buy a hand call tomorrow and get after it. You can't kill coyotes if your sitting at home on the couch.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
In my area, every farm kid in the tri-county area blows a rabbit in distress call. Subsequently the coyotes are mighty educated & call shy. I never had any luck with the rabbit calls, I had better luck with a fawn bleet or a turkey call. These days I pack a foxpro inferno in a maxped versipack.

I'm pretty fond of my foxpro but I'd like to get ahold of the lucky duck Revolt, seems pretty legit. I dont think youd go wrong with either the LD or a foxpro with the tx1000 remote. Best advice I have is dont be afraid to try sounds from something you may not necessarily have in your area, make them pay to get down wind and I always end my stands with some type of pup distress. Good luck

Looking to get into predator hunting, looking for recommendations on what call to purchase. I will be hunting wide open areas, that do see some pressure from other electronic callers.

I have a few hand calls that I plan to learn how to use but need an e caller for the moment so I can get some stands under my belt.

Foxpro

A bit late here, but I just purchased a new coyote call device, and I thought about sharing in case some other people are interested. It's the FOXPRO Shockwave and I'm absolutely in love. If you are thinking about maybe making an investment in such equipment, please do your research beforehand. The first coyote call device I ever bought was a complete scam and I took no precautions, so I was left with no way of getting my money back. See what the market has to offer, read some articles about the best electronic coyote calls and see what best fits your budget and your needs. If you want a recommendation, that's it from me.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Dan Thompson - Weems Replica /or/ PC2 /or/ either of their "Long Range" models. These you can blow as hard as you want. They never "hit the wall" in terms of the reed.

Primos - Thrid Degree
Be careful, you CAN blow *too* hard with this call and it'll hit the wall and the reed will either tweak or go silent. But you do NOT need to blow it that hard. Blow it just regular pressure and let the design of handle the loudness.

The Mouser and Squealer combo!

I called in a Yote standing at the fabric-covered fence of the Los Alamitos Training Base... in just 7 minutes using the Mouser! Try the Mouser at any Dog Park and see what happens! You can run this hands-free too! Also of note... on that same calling session it also called in 3 different Red-Tailed Hawks.. and an Owl!

The Squealer sounds amazingly life-like to a rabbit especially once you give it a little tremelo to it... and you can run it hands free. It's pretty dang loud too! Especially for such a small thing.

If you got a place where you know they are there, but they are hard to call in? I'd totally recommend trying that Mouser!

Yotehntr

FNG
I prefer hand calls but use both. when the area's open and I need the coyote's attention to be away from me... I use to cur dogs and have them tied behind me... they're to aggresive to decoy. Believe it or not after a coyote shows up if they start barking the coyote just gets more interested. (I've doubled because of that) you can do well with closed or open reed calls I make and prefer open reeds. You will enjoy it much more if you use hand calls. Something about it is just more rewarding. Hopper dropper gave good advice on calling, remember it's just a dying critter if you've rabbit hunted chances are you've heard it. Ki-yi's with a good open reed are the best way to end a stand. So good that when we've hunted for a few hours my dogs lay down on the stands but when we start to ki-yi they stand up. (it's just more fun with dogs )

IMG_7031.jpg

Roi-Dan-BW.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm pretty fond of my foxpro but I'd like to get ahold of the lucky duck Revolt, seems pretty legit. I dont think youd go wrong with either the LD or a foxpro with the tx1000 remote. Best advice I have is dont be afraid to try sounds from something you may not necessarily have in your area, make them pay to get down wind and I always end my stands with some type of pup distress. Good luck
I've got a Revolt with the rechargeable battery pack if you're still looking to try one

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I replaced my Foxpro Wildfire with a Revolt last year. I like the remote a lot better, but I've heard great things about the new Foxpro remote as well. It seems to be a little lower build quality than Foxpros, but have had zero problems with it. The thing is very bulky, but definitely gets loud. The sound library is fantastic, which is what made me switch. I've been out calling and heard Foxpro Pup Distresss 2 from the neighboring property so they're definitely getting educated to those sounds.