Crispi Colorado - Semi-live boot review

Glad I found this chain and review when I did. Appreciate everyone’s insights and Jordan’s great review.

Been scrambling to find a boot for this years hunt. Surrounded by boxes - Scarpa R-Evolution GTX (KUIU’s), Asolo Fugitives, Asolo Drifter GVs, Salomon Quest 4D and was just ordering Crispi Thor’s when I read this. Colorado sounds like the perfect blend of features for western big game so placed an order for those as well. Will definitely come back with my thoughts and how sizing was for each once I’ve sorted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a question for anyone that knows.
I’ve tried on the guides, Colorado’s and Thor’s
The thors fit well but I do not like the lack of support in the ankles
The guides are very nice, fit well but maybe a little overkill for what I’m looking for
The Colorado’s seemed to be the most comfortable but the toe box seemed much narrower than the other two
Which boot would be recommended that was similar to the Colorado but with a wider toe box or does anyone know how much of a difference the wide sizing makes

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Summit has a wider toe box, but is a 3 flex and technically doesn't have the extra ABSS ankle support. Although I have a bad ankle and I've worn the Summits quite a bit with no ankle stability problems. The Colorado is also sold in wide sizes, may be worth a try if you really like them.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I’ve been wearing scarpa Charmoz are the Colorado that stiff of a boot and are they any lighter than the scarpa

They will not be as stiff as the Charmoz. They'll be a little wider as well with more room in the toe box. They'll be very similar in weight, I believe the Colorado may be a few ounces heavier if their websites use the same sizing for their weights.

Squirrels

WKR
I read through the entire thread but didn't exactly find the information I was looking for. I wore Solomon Quest 4Ds on my last two trips. They served me okay with no issues rubbing or anything like that. Foot fatigue was the biggest issue. I recently picked up a pair of Summits. With no hill time my evalution is that they don't seem to have as much ankle support as the Solomons, just my opinion mind you. They also don't seem as stiff as the Solomons, again just my initial thought with no hill time. That may be due to the sole footprint (the Solomon sole is wider), not sure though, just a theroy. Anyone that has experience with these two boots care to weigh in??

With that information and answering the first question, where does the Colorado compare in regards to the two previously mentioned boots??

Thanks for the review and continual answering of questions everyone and @Jordan Budd!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a pair of 4D's a while back.. 4-5 years ago. It's interesting becuase I put the 4D's and Summits in the same category as far as stiffness, but it has been a while since the Quests for me. The Colorado will be stiffer for sure and I believe them to be more narrow. The 4D's had too much room in the toe box for me and a bit too wide overall. When I started wearing more narrow boots I started doing better with blisters.

I just blew the heel out of a pair of 4 year old Zamberlans, and am scrambling to get a new boot bought and broke in by early Oct. This review has been very helpful, I'm down to either the Womings or the Colorado, going to stop by the BlackOvis storefront in UT next week and hopefully walk out with a new pair of boots!

Kotaman

WKR
I finally found my size (12.5) and bought a pair. Wore them around the house all last night and at work today. Will hike in them tonight, tomorrow and Friday and decide if they're going sheep hunting or not. Initial thoughts are FANTASTIC. I agree with pretty much everything that has been said in this thread up to this point.

My thoughts so far: They are way more boot than the 4D's or Summits. Of all my Crispis (Thors, Nevadas, Idahos, Guides and Wild Rocks), these are my favorites with the limited use they've seen. Gonna be a great all around boot and maybe even an early season sheep boot.

Kotaman

WKR
I put 6 miles on them tonight in the hills and was impressed. I really wanted to see how they’d do side hilling. They don’t do as well as my Lowa Bighorns on a steep side hill, but they are much better than my Nevada’s on a side hill. No hot spots so far and the heel pocket is breaking in nicely. Jury is still out on whether I take them on my sheep hunt next week. But, they are so much lighter than the Bighorns, I might be willing to sacrifice the difference in comfort on the side hills. Two more days to figure it out....

I put 6 miles on them tonight in the hills and was impressed. I really wanted to see how they’d do side hilling. They don’t do as well as my Lowa Bighorns on a steep side hill, but they are much better than my Nevada’s on a side hill. No hot spots so far and the heel pocket is breaking in nicely. Jury is still out on whether I take them on my sheep hunt next week. But, they are so much lighter than the Bighorns, I might be willing to sacrifice the difference in comfort on the side hills. Two more days to figure it out....
Hows the fit compared to the Nevada's? The toe box on the Nevada's works well for me, but the heel area has too much volume for my foot shape.

Kotaman

WKR
The heel on the Colorado is better. I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel. Both the forefoot and heel fit me great. Compared to the Nevada, the forefoot is “different” but works fine for my foot shape.

Scrappy

WKR
Here’s a question for anyone that knows.
I’ve tried on the guides, Colorado’s and Thor’s
The thors fit well but I do not like the lack of support in the ankles
The guides are very nice, fit well but maybe a little overkill for what I’m looking for
The Colorado’s seemed to be the most comfortable but the toe box seemed much narrower than the other two
Which boot would be recommended that was similar to the Colorado but with a wider toe box or does anyone know how much of a difference the wide sizing makes

Your looking for the crispi Nevada's, everyone including me have loved the extra room in the toe box of the Nevada's.

I have the Nevada’s and the Colorado. I have 10.5 in Nevada and 10.5W in the Colorado. The Nevada’s are very well made but the toe box shape would rub my pinky toe to death. I constantly had to tape everyday because of it. It would also cause pin in my pinky nail bed from the contact.

The Colorado’s have been awesome so far. I heard it was narrow and that info paired with my Nevada experience led me to get the 10.5w. It has fit my foot really well, the toe box feels about as good as I’ve ever had, the heel is nice and tight with the ABSS system. Only the top of my arch has a little rubbing now if I really cinch them down which has only been a minor annoyance for now. The stiffer Colorado has solved a lot of my foot fatigue on rocky surfaces.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Nevada’s and the Colorado. I have 10.5 in Nevada and 10.5W in the Colorado. The Nevada’s are very well made but the toe box shape would rub my pinky toe to death. I constantly had to tape everyday because of it. It would also cause pin in my pinky nail bed from the contact.

The Colorado’s have been awesome so far. I heard it was narrow and that info paired with my Nevada experience led me to get the 10.5w. It has fit my foot really well, the toe box feels about as good as I’ve ever had, the heel is nice and tight with the ABSS system. Only the top of my arch has a little rubbing now if I really cinch them down which has only been a minor annoyance for now. The stiffer Colorado has solved a lot of my foot fatigue on rocky surfaces.

That is very helpful information. Thank you.

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in here again. I have been running this boot as well as a few others as I prepare for some upcoming hunts. I had a foot injury early summer and was searching for the perfect boot. My initial impression was this boot wasn’t as stiff as what I or the doctor wanted me to use but it’s seeming to be really great the more I use it. Like Jordan said the boot really doesn’t feel as stiff as it is. The rocker is exceptionally well done. I don’t feel like I’m standing on a ball and the foot just rolls through the steps. No real flex of the foot or articulation is required to walk. While these boots do run a little warmer than I anticipated they aren’t bad. On comparable days my Colorado will breath nearly as well as my Scarpa Charmoz with OutDry.

The only problem I am having with these and my other stiff/more rigid boots is the damn area under the insole seems to be so hard and causes some fatigue after pushing out the miles. I’m using a combo of insoles and they all seem about the same. If anyone has any help I would appreciate that.

I would also like to say this is my first pair of Crispi boots and I’m pretty well impressed and that’s not easily done.

Thanks

Last edited:
Following up on my experience here in case it's helpful. While trying to find a pair of boots for this year I went through a ton of options - Scarpa R-Evolution GTX (KUIU’s), Asolo Fugitives, Asolo Drifter GVs, Salomon Quest 4D, Crispi Thor’s and Crispi Colorados. At one point my wife came to be with some serious questions about our running Amex bill.

I'm thrilled to have found Jordan's review because, in the end, the Colorados were far superior to all the others I tried. I liked the Scarpas from KUIU but, despite ordering my regular size 11 and an 11.5, I just couldn't get these things to fit. Like everything else from KUIU (who I love), I think if you want the Scarpa R-Evolutions you need to order a full size up to start with and then go up more from there.

As soon as the Colorados were on my feet I was sold. These boots have just the right amount of stiffness for climbing steep terrain and supporting heavier loads but "rock" very well when moving across more level terrain which gives a nice sense of forward momentum. I broke my ankle hunting in December '18 (La Sportiva :/) so Crispi's A.B.S.S. feature was a huge selling point for me. The additional support can be felt immediately, especially when compared to a boot that doesn't have a dedicated support system (I'm thinking of the Crispi Thor GTX here which I also liked but the lack of ABSS was a deal breaker for me).

First hike (relative term here in Texas) was a local preserve where I knocked out 7 miles and 1,000 vertical feet gained. While my feet did get slightly sore over the course of the day, the next morning I had zero blisters or hot spots. Really no break-in needed on this boot.

The boot was slightly heavier than some of the others I tried. The 11.5s came in at 3lbs, 10.6oz. Not bad in general or when you consider a "light" boot like the Scarpa R-Evolution weighs in at only 2.4oz less (which is a little deceptive as you'd need to go up half a size to have a similar fitting boot).

I wear a size 11 in my Brooks running shoes and the Crispi 11's were about perfect at first. However, I did notice on a steep incline that my right toe barely clipped the front of the shoe. I ended up going with the 11.5 which was slightly wider than I'd prefer but toe room was excellent and it wasn't too hard to lace them down to take out some volume. I have an average foot width so anyone with a wider foot would likely find these to be perfect.

To anyone looking in to these, I'd recommend them highly. Can't wait to get them into some real backcounty terrain this season and put them to work. Now I just need to return all these others...

6.5x284

WKR
Had my Colorado’s out in my first rain during my archery elk hunt today. Right boot was soaked inside within an hour. Leaking from the front somewhere. I sent Crispi a video taking my boot off and ringing out my sock. Left boot was great all day. Frustrating. Glad I wasn’t backpacked in or it would have been a lot bigger issue. Rain forecasted rest of the week so I’m not real happy about it. I’m hoping you guys have better luck than I do! I have no doubt their CS will take care of me.

Update: CS said to send them in for a new pair (as long as they fail their testing...which they had better or I would never buy anything they made if that was considered acceptable). Overall very pleased with CS so far. I’ll definitely be checking my boots in the tub before an out of state trip in the future though! Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for highlighting this. I’ll definitely need to check mine out before I’m miles deep