Crispi flex ratings

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at getting some crispi boots and I don’t really understand the flex ratings. I’m wanting a pair of uninsulated and a pair of insulated boots. Living in Missouri I don’t have the need for mountain boots so I’m wanting something light and flexible. I was gonna get a set of the Thor boots because they were light but then saw they were a bit on the stiff side. So how do you understand the flex rating. Is the lower number stiffer or more flexible. I’m only looking at crispi because I went to rei and tried all theirs and they didn’t fit my foot. Went to a sheels and tried the crispi and they fit great. So I’m needing some advice on ones to try.

Zeus401

FNG
The higher the number the stiffer they are. I have the Summits which are a 3 and the Briskdal which are 4.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
The higher the number the stiffer they are. I have the Summits which are a 3 and the Briskdal which are 4.
+1
f.png

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Thor's. They are a flex 4 which is a good all around for me but I'm in Montana. I also liked the Wyoming's which were more flexible.....might give those a try. I think the Wyoming 2 may be coming out so the original Wyoming could probably be had with a good deal.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
thanks i was pondering the same question, anyone with exp with the Idaho. Its got a flex of 3, but its meant as a sheep/goat boot.

thank you for any input dont mean to hijack thread

Oldpuck

FNG
Crispi also markets backcountry ski and telemark boots. Flex is important for them and also for climbing boots. I think that has to do with their ratings. The less flex, the better toe or heel hold on rock. That is why the Scarpa is sort of an alpine boot more than it is an open country or hiking boot. So if you are climbing the high places for sheep and goats a stiffer boot is probably what you want. They will give you support too with a heavier load. A more flexing boot may be more comfortable in the forest or meadows, stalking elk and deer or other Western big game.

I have some Crispi Idaho's for early season and a pair of insulated Guide boots for late season. These are the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I still have an old pair of Danner's Tinners for outside work around the house and some Lowa's for day hikes with the dog and light scouting trips, but everything I tried before Crispi (Danner, Red Wing, and even ancient pair of Irish Setter boots) just didn't compare.

Last edited:

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
oh snap
here's mine, started doing this within months. I'd try something different
FstoMR0.jpg

MqaULnx.jpg
oh snap, just taking a look as several Crispi boots are on sale. At least i can justify $120 off retail to the wifey, but not for that to happen to them after several outings.

Perhaps the rubber rand needs some sort of conditioner to be applied ever so often. Looks like dry rot...

danarnold

WKR
Total dry rot and the sole started separating within months of purchase. They didn’t stand behind them. Kenetrek has been the best I’ve ever had so far

Total dry rot and the sole started separating within months of purchase. They didn’t stand behind them. Kenetrek has been the best I’ve ever had so far

So you contacted them, under warranty, and they refused to honor the warranty? I have a couple of pairs of Crispis, and I would lose my mind, if that happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NEhunter

WKR
Tons of miles on my Idaho’s. Wore them through archery elk in Colorado, deer hunting Nebraska October through November then pheasant hunted minimum once per week sometimes 4 times per week from November through end of January. Will be grabbing a second set, very comfortable for me and holding up great, the sale price is awesome.
a5e1152518ff7f2e573ebd9470963406.jpg

e637b192244911066f4c7883beff20ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danarnold

WKR
So you contacted them, under warranty, and they refused to honor the warranty? I have a couple of pairs of Crispis, and I would lose my mind, if that happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

correct. the rep I spoke with told me to wear em thru the season and reach out for some support, after that season I contacted crispi and was told warr expired & there was no paper trail to support the conversation...

correct. the rep I spoke with told me to wear em thru the season and reach out for some support, after that season I contacted crispi and was told warr expired & there was no paper trail to support the conversation...

Wow. I’m sorry to hear that. I’d be beyond pissed. Very disappointing to hear

Rock-o

WKR
Others have already answered the main question. I just want to add that a level 4 is *really* stiff.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
Tons of miles on my Idaho’s. Wore them through archery elk in Colorado, deer hunting Nebraska October through November then pheasant hunted minimum once per week sometimes 4 times per week from November through end of January. Will be grabbing a second set, very comfortable for me and holding up great, the sale price is awesome.
a5e1152518ff7f2e573ebd9470963406.jpg

e637b192244911066f4c7883beff20ec.jpg

Wow so much wear and tear and the rand looks basically new minus the mud. I mean it may have been an isolated case with @danarnold. I tried looking online to see if this a concern or an ongoing defect of the rubber. I have not found much with the sole and the rand becoming brittle and or separated.

Crispi is updating certain models.

Thanks 🙏 for the response, great forum lots of hunting knowledge.

Splitfinger tab getting itchy...

OP
Whitetaildown215

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I have some Lowa Tibet’s and were great in the mountains but just don’t work chasing turkeys, whitetails, or coyotes here in the Midwest so I gotta find something else

danarnold

WKR
more issues popped up in my feed

Kotaman

WKR
I've been a Crispi fan for quite awhile. In fact, I've owned just about everything they've made. I'm shocked they would not take care of the issue above as it is an obvious warranty issue for that short of time. I've never had any issues with any of their boots. Good lesson to keep receipts and document in writing company conversations. You would think a reps "word" would be good enough. I would certainly have another conversation with said "rep".

To the OP, contrary to their stiffness rating, the Thors are not what I would call a "stiff" boot by any means. Excellent for general use, light duty. In fact they are not stiff enough for me in the "tough stuff". I think the flexible upper on the Thor makes it really seem like a minimal stiffness boot, when in fact the sole is probably stiffer than it appears. Regardless, IMO I do not feel the Thor is a stiff boot at all.

I've been a Crispi fan for quite awhile. In fact, I've owned just about everything they've made. I'm shocked they would not take care of the issue above as it is an obvious warranty issue for that short of time. I've never had any issues with any of their boots. Good lesson to keep receipts and document in writing company conversations. You would think a reps "word" would be good enough. I would certainly have another conversation with said "rep".

To the OP, contrary to their stiffness rating, the Thors are not what I would call a "stiff" boot by any means. Excellent for general use, light duty. In fact they are not stiff enough for me in the "tough stuff". I think the flexible upper on the Thor makes it really seem like a minimal stiffness boot, when in fact the sole is probably stiffer than it appears. Regardless, IMO I do not feel the Thor is a stiff boot at all.

I agree on your thought on the Thors stiffness. It’s a 4 and my Wild Rocks are a 3 but due to the ankle support in the Wild Rock, it wears like a much stiffer boot. I have no trouble in the Thors in less rigorous terrain, and there are spots where I wish it was stiffer.

Last edited: