Crispi or Kenetrek??

Hi, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought about these two pair of boots. I know we hunters are gear junkies and I am no exception! I drive my better half nuts! So if any of you guys have tips on how to smooth that transition, I would be forever grateful. I guess for know having the gear sent to my work will have to do.

So far I have really come to love Kenetrek and Crispi boots. On the Kenetrek front, I have the Mountain Extreme 400 and I love them. I do have two issues with them, but they are only a cosmetic issue and not a funtioning issue. The two issues are one they are a little bulky and feel clunky at times. But other than that, they performed awesome on my Elk hunt in Idaho last year and in Montana the year before that! From crossing small creeks to heavy morning dew, my feet stayed warm and dry, and were very comfortable during the long days and hiking around the mountain! Yes my feet did get a little warm, but not that bad. and I did have 400 grams of insulation. I remember getting these boots and breaking them in. It felt like my foot was in a ski boot for a while, and then one day I was like Yes! these boots are finally broken in! no more walking around like my foot feels like im walking around in a ski boot! I do oil the Kenetrek's on a regular basis when I am wearing them, and before every hunt. The tread has some wear, but for the amount of use these boots get I am surprised they are still going strong! The leather on the upper is just like new and even the leather on the lower portion of the boots are still going strong but do show some wear, but still in great shape. The rubber rand on the boot is wear you see most of the wear, but to me thats the rand doing the job of what it was intended to do and I was in some narly blow downs in Montana and the rand definitely did its job!

On the Crispi Front I have two pair. I have the Crispi Guides in a wide and the Briksdahl. I can tell you, I abdolutey love the Crispi Guides, and I like them more than the Briksdahl, and only because the Briksdahl is more narrow and is a little tight on my feet, but its managable. I wonder if I order the Briksdahl in a half size bigger that will help in the width department. The only negative about Crispi boots and this goes for both the guides and the Briksdahls is that the soles are hard as a rock to me. again cosmetic and can easily be fixed. Which I have replaced the insoles with Sheepfeet and I am very happy! But even on my elk hunt in Idaho with the Crispi's they perfomed flawlessly crossing the same creek and dew from walking the edges of the meadow. I havent had the Crispi Guides nearly as long as the Kenetreks but I use the Briksdahls for everyting and the sole is still like new and has great traction even in wet conditions. I oil the Crispi Boots regularly also and I use the crispi boot cream with them, and I have had no issues. the leather on both my crispi boots still look brand new. Right out of the box the Crispi boots were very comfortable with no ski boot feel and had more of a tennis shoe feel, and they dont feel bulky or clunky. Overall I think the Crispi Guides will be my go to with the Kenetreks as a back up set in my truck when I go hunting.

What are your all's thoughts and Opinions on these boots. I have tried Salewa's and they are just to narrow for my feet. I thought about trying Hanwags out also. I would love to hear your feedback.. Have a great day everyone.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the post it’s funny you posted this I’m actually trying to decide between the Kenetrek mountain extremes and the Crispi Guides at the moment just having a hard time deciding without being able to try on both and see which ones fit my Feet better.

which of the 2 do You notice is a stiffer boot? Or can you tell a difference?

OP
Wapitihunter1
Sorry to hear about your blisters bud. Glad you found a boot that works great for you. I have herd great things about the Nevada's!
Thanks for the post it’s funny you posted this I’m actually trying to decide between the Kenetrek mountain extremes and the Crispi Guides at the moment just having a hard time deciding without being able to try on both and see which ones fit my Feet better.

which of the 2 do You notice is a stiffer boot? Or can you tell a difference?
Yes I can tell a difference. The Kenetrek is a stiffer boot than the Crispi Guides. With that said they both give great ankle and foot support. I have a wide foot so I went with the wide on both the Kenetrek and the Crispi Guides. To me the Kenetrek has a better insole than the Crispi's but if you change them out anyway thats a non issue. I hope this helps and let me know which ones you went with and your thoughts and how they did for you..

CCooper

WKR
I have tried jus about everything including Crispi guides and Kenetrek as well as Lowa, Hanwag, Asolo, Danner, White's, Etc... I just picked up a pair of Schnee's Timberline's and all I can say is where have these boots been my whole life? These are going to be the ticket for archery elk- the fit was so good, I may pick up a pair of their 200g Granite's for late season. Although I think boots are pretty individual. Don't know what size you are, but I will make you a hell of a deal on a pair of like new Hanwag Macra Combi's. size 10.5

OP
Wapitihunter1
I have seen the boots you speak of, but not tried them myself. My cousin is actually getting a pair of the schnees boots though. Thats awesome and I greatly appreciate it! I will message you about the HanWag's thanks again..

Last edited:
I have both as well.
Kenetreks feel like they have more sole support to me compared to Crispi Guides.
I feel the ankle support is better on the Kenetreks
Guides seem more narrow in the toebox and in general compared to Kenetreks.
Kenetreks give me some heel rub but NEVER blisters.
Crispi Guides no heel irritation what so ever.
Kenetreks more solid shank/sole.
Crispi Guides have more of a toe rocker and flexibility in toe box/ball of foot.
I have MTP issues (hallux rigidus) and had surgery 6 days ago (bilaterally) for said condition.
For me I'll stick with Kenetreks because part of the long-term management plan for this condition is stiff soled shoes and/or boots.

OP
Wapitihunter1
I agree with you on the toe box comparison with the Crispi and Kenetrek's. I have a wide in both, and the wide in the crispi is slightly slimmer than the kenetrek. I wish you a speedy recovery my friend and keep me posted on your healing bud.

Boots are going to differ person to person....Which stinks when you’re talking expensive boots like Crispi and Kenetrek. Even if a company has a solid sizing exchange program set up...I rarely have the time to deal with that. It is what it is I reckon...Crispi for me.

Calcoyote

FNG
Neither one are better than the other. I like Crispi and have the Nevada and the Colorado. On the other hand I know guys that have more backcountry experience than me that love the Kennetrek. It is like Nosler vs Barnes, Mathews vs Bowtech, Ford vs Chevy, and the list goes on.... Find the one that fits your foot and get in the woods and go hunting.

Last edited:

def90

WKR
All brands/boots will have slightly different footbed shapes so the best thing to do is go with what fits your foot best. Go to a shop or to multiple shops and try on as many boots as you can and buy the one that fits the best out of the box.

There are also a ton more brands of boots than just Crispi or Kenetrek and a boot doesn't have to be labeled a "hunting" boot to use it for hunting.

OP
Wapitihunter1
I agree with you def90 and Calcoyote. Each boot will feet each person differently. And the only way to know is to try them on and get out in the woods. I’m just seeing what everyone else is using and share my experiences. I live in a small town and don’t have an REI or store that I can try several boots on at a time. So for me it’s all about trial and error and ordering on the web… plus I am a gear/boot junky and love trying different boots out

Jimss

WKR
I had Kennetreks one day and returned them! Their heals and soles felt like I was on stilts. I wore mine for a day on a rocky slope and was stumbling all over the place. It was also nearly impossible to stalk quietly with them because the soles are so thick and they are stiff and heavy.

I wear boots year round at work in the field. I've pretty much switched over to Crispis. They are very well made and stand up to a lot of use and abuse. I've used Lowas and Scarpas in the past but they didn't seem to last as long. Scarpas were also too narrow for my feet. I still wear my Lowa Tibets in deep snow and they work great in that setting but I prefer a mid height/weight hiker for everyday use. All leather tends to out last synthetics but is a little heavier weight.

OP
Wapitihunter1
I know what you mean on the stalking front with the kenetreks. When walking around in the woods, they are louder and do feel more clunky to me and my Crispi Guides feel more like a comfortable running show that has a little more stiffness and support

rspecht55

FNG
Great information from everyone. I am really new to all this and am looking for a great boot. Do all of the boots you are talking about repel water or are water resistant? Appreciate the information.

rspecht55

FNG
I see a lot of guys purchase different boots and then send a pair back. I don’t have the cash to do that. How can I go about trying these out to see how they fit my feet. Checked out Cabela’s today and they don’t have any of these brands that are talked about on here.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk