Custom turret question

Ucsdryder

WKR
Didn't realize people were so against custom turrets and would rather plug a bunch of numbers into their ballistic app before taking the shot.

For ethical ranges a custom dial is fine. For long range hunters not so much
My ZEISS rf10-42 poop out a dope correction, I dial and shoot. Slower than a custom turret…yes…but by maybe 2-3 seconds.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My ZEISS rf10-42 poop out a dope correction, I dial and shoot. Slower than a custom turret…yes…but by maybe 2-3 seconds.
If it was slower, everyone who shoots NRL Hunter matches would be using a custom turret.

I have never seen a single person do it.

To the OP: If you want a custom turret, I would put tape on the one you have and mark it based on the conditions of your hunt.

Ucsdryder

WKR
How is it slower? Whether you dial X.X mils or XXX yards it's a simple twist of the knob either way.
My rangefinder spits out the range, then the correction. A normal rangefinder would spit the range and you’d dial to that range. Waiting the .5 seconds for the correction to come up then count the clicks. Like I said 2-3 seconds. 😜

SDHNTR

WKR
Swaro EL Range TA spits out corrected dope using station pressure pretty much immediately.

Aside from the change in environmentals negating the benefit of a custom turret, ammo and component availability and natural barrel changes are real issues. I’d venture a guess that most guys shooting custom turrets also shoot factory ammo. If so, you better buy several cases of the same lot number of ammo when you get a custom turret made! I’m talking an entire barrel’s worth of ammo all from the same lot. Thousands of rounds.

Ammo manufacturers are having the same difficulties us reloaders are having sourcing components. I’ve seen the same ammo obviously change brass and primers in between lots, and I’m sure powder too. I have a good buddy who’s rifle went from consistent sub moa to 3-4 moa when Barnes changed something in between lots, has to be powder for that much change to occur. Same branded ammo, same bullet. So what are you custom turret proponents who shoot factory ammo doing about this? I bet most of you are going “huh”?

Did you custom turret guys also know that a barrel often changes speed throughout its life? Especially versus new. And often by 100 fps+. Another “huh”? Right?

So I’m genuinely curious. How do you cut turret fans account for barrel speed changes and inevitable ammo/component changes?