CWD Positive. What would you do??

Mike7

WKR
I hope all of you that are throwing out meat with potential CWD contamination, are also using gloves when you harvest & butcher your animal, since there may be a much higher risk of obtaining any prion infection from direct contact to an open wound (i.e. microscopic skin breaks on your hand touching nerve ganglia and lymph nodes) than with eating the meat.

And I hope that those of you worried about potential autoimmune diseases resulting from prion exposure, are also eating only organic foods and also avoiding people whenever possible...people who carry viruses which have been known to actually stimulate autoimmune disease in some individuals, whereas prions are not known to do this.

I’d probably eat it but I’m not letting my 2yo near it. And he loves elk and deer meat.

IdahoHntr

WKR
Since the disease is (presumably) spread through contact with other infected animals (deer and elk don't eat other deer and elk), wouldn't the greater risk of contracting CWD from deer and elk come from just contacting a CWD positive deer or elk? It seems weird that people unwilling to eat CWD positive meat would hunt in a known CWD positive area, kill an animal, handle it with their hands and anything else it touches (The only KNOWN way this disease gets transmitted from animal to animal), and then throw it away when it is positive. Seems like too little too late to me.

Follow up question from the discussion that has happened here. Why would those people who are throwing away their CWD positive meat keep the antlers? Especially the antlers antlers attached to the skull plate which contained one of the most prion dense areas of that animal. Prions that can't be killed. Or am I wrong in assuming people are still keeping the antlers off their CWD positive deer?

LostArra

WKR
I wonder what the percentage of hunters even get their deer or elk tested? Speaking of Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Any difference resident or non-resident?

ndayton

WKR
This very thing happened to me in Colorado last year, I drew a hunt in a low chance CWD unit went out and shot a nice buck. The unit I was hunting didnt have mandatory testing but at $25 for peace of mind I opted to do it. After two weeks of waiting I got the results back testing positive for CDW, I felt like someone had run my dog over as I worked hard to get that deer and even harder packing him out. Having explained to my wife what CWD was and having children who eat what I bring home the wife said it had to go so it was bagged up and thrown out. I live in Oregon where we are currently free of CWD and it is a relief not having to worry about (at least for now) but for me I will likely avoid states and units with CWD as I just cant stand the thought of throwing meat away but if CWD spreads country wide which sounds inevitable I also cant see myself quitting hunting. For the record I would eat CWD deer but cant i good conscience feed it to my kids.

wyosam

WKR
I get them tested because G&F needs the data, but I'd probably still eat it. I agree with those that have mentioned that probably the biggest risk of exposure is when taking it apart in the field, and especially cutting the skull plate off.

Since the disease is (presumably) spread through contact with other infected animals (deer and elk don't eat other deer and elk), wouldn't the greater risk of contracting CWD from deer and elk come from just contacting a CWD positive deer or elk? It seems weird that people unwilling to eat CWD positive meat would hunt in a known CWD positive area, kill an animal, handle it with their hands and anything else it touches (The only KNOWN way this disease gets transmitted from animal to animal), and then throw it away when it is positive. Seems like too little too late to me.

Follow up question from the discussion that has happened here. Why would those people who are throwing away their CWD positive meat keep the antlers? Especially the antlers antlers attached to the skull plate which contained one of the most prion dense areas of that animal. Prions that can't be killed. Or am I wrong in assuming people are still keeping the antlers off their CWD positive deer?

This is spot on... and you can’t wipe CWD off, even with bleach....

brsnow

WKR
This is not meant to be argumentative but I wonder how many folks that cite not feeding CWD positive meat to their kids do feed their kids a steady diet of processed foods and soft drinks. Should we be more worried about the stuff that we know will cause all sorts of health issues and shorten life span or one that has not been proven to be an issue in several decades of testing?

We eat very clean in my household, especially my kids. I feel fortunate we can afford to. That being said you can typically reverse the impacts of processed foods and sugars with altering lifestyle. There is no reversal with CWD type of diseases.

wjj605

FNG
The problem with CWD is that there are a lot of unknowns. Is it transmissible to humans? What are the long term effects on the entire deer population as a whole? Will there ever be a cure?
And it is one thing to say, "Well if you don't want a deer with CWD, then hunt in an area without it!". It is pretty obvious that CWD is spreading. Eventually we will probably be faced with the cruel reality that all of North America's deer and elk will be exposed. And then what? Do we keep hunting? Do we eradicate the populations to lower disease prevalence? Is it even possible to win the war against prions?? I sure wish CWD didn't exist .... or Ovi pneumonia for that matter.

I hunt for meat more than antlers these days. I get it that a lot of guys see antlers as extremely important or even the main reason they hunt. I was there once too. And I still enjoy big antlers when they happen for me. If CWD ever becomes prevalent in my area it will be a game changer for me. Everyone with enough of a brain to watch, listen and learn will form their own opinions on dealing with CWD+ animals, meat and antlers. It's up to that person...to me and you...to do what we think is best and hopefully safest.

I know there is no way I would kill and butcher an obviously sick deer in the end stages of suspected CWD. Then again, I'm not going to kill & eat any animal suffering from any known or suspected infectious disease, regardless of proven or disproven risk to humans, me, my family, or your family. I'll play it safe every possible time and not worry about judgment. Most of this comes from having personally contracted a different disease from a deer (I killed) many years ago. I was messed up several months until medication cleared things up. That is why today I won't touch a deer or other ungulate without wearing gloves.

Today: If I killed a deer which proved to have CWD, I would dispose of the meat or carcass properly. I personally would also not retain the antlers or skull or other parts from that deer....and that is regardless of trophy quality. I'd offer them to the state. That's me. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it the same, and I'd hope their decision was good for them.

Last edited:

IdahoHntr

WKR
I hunt for meat more than antlers these days. I get it that a lot of guys see antlers as extremely important or even the main reason they hunt. I was there once too. And I still enjoy big antlers when they happen for me. If CWD ever becomes prevalent in my area it will be a game changer for me. Everyone with enough of a brain to watch, listen and learn will form their own opinions on dealing with CWD+ animals, meat and antlers. It's up to that person...to me and you...to do what we think is best and hopefully safest.

I know there is no way I would kill and butcher an obviously sick deer in the end stages of suspected CWD. Then again, I'm not going to kill & eat any animal suffering from any known or suspected infectious disease, regardless of proven or disproven risk to humans, me, my family, or your family. I'll play it safe every possible time and not worry about judgment. Most of this comes from having personally contracted a different disease from a deer (I killed) many years ago. I was messed up several months until medication cleared things up. That is why today I won't touch a deer or other ungulate without wearing gloves.

Today: If I killed a deer which proved to have CWD, I would dispose of the meat or carcass properly. I personally would also not retain the antlers or skull or other parts from that deer....and that is regardless of trophy quality. I'd offer them to the state. That's me. I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it the same, and I'd hope their decision was good for them.

I like your point of view, but I'm also curious how far this would go for some people. What about your pack, knives, clothes, processing equipment, freezer, coolers, vehicle(s) transporting the meat, and anything else that touched this animal?

If you are actually that paranoid about the prions, all of those things could have them. Not to mention it would be rather unethical to even sale those things if you yourself don't want to keep them because they might infect you with a disease. I feel like with the spread of CWD, hunting could get real expensive, and nigh near impossible, if you really are trying to avoid any and all contact with these prions.

Again, just asking to better understand the argument for getting rid of the meat. Not trying to be argumentive, just for understanding. People can do whatever they want as long it's legal, and I understand the desire to protect our families, but logically I'm just not following why you would put your family at risk of coming into contact with the prions by hunting in the first place then? Why kill an animal, contaminate all the hunting equipment you own and very likely your home, and then throw the meat away, knowing that you cannot kill prions that are now on your equipment and in your home?

Ratbeetle

WKR
I like your point of view, but I'm also curious how far this would go for some people. What about your pack, knives, clothes, processing equipment, freezer, coolers, vehicle(s) transporting the meat, and anything else that touched this animal?

If you are actually that paranoid about the prions, all of those things could have them. Not to mention it would be rather unethical to even sale those things if you yourself don't want to keep them because they might infect you with a disease. I feel like with the spread of CWD, hunting could get real expensive, and nigh near impossible, if you really are trying to avoid any and all contact with these prions.

Again, just asking to better understand the argument for getting rid of the meat. Not trying to be argumentive, just for understanding. People can do whatever they want as long it's legal, and I understand the desire to protect our families, but logically I'm just not following why you would put your family at risk of coming into contact with the prions by hunting in the first place then? Why kill an animal, contaminate all the hunting equipment you own and very likely your home, and then throw the meat away, knowing that you cannot kill prions that are now on your equipment and in your home?

It's a good point and one to consider. I certainly thought about it while I was waiting for the results to come back on my deer.

Just think of all the things that could be contaminated. Broadhead, arrow, knife, game bags, pack, cooler, clothing, home butchering equipment...

Why stop there. Prions are in feces as well. Set up your tent over deer shit in a CWD area or stepped on deer shit? Gonna toss the boots and tent? Hell, I slept in a deer bed in my floorless shelter one night this season. Woke up and I had my bivy on deer shit. Should I toss it now?

If I remember correctly, in the same or a similar study where the monkeys were infected from eating CWD, the scientists also applied CWD infected material to the skin of the monkeys to simulate exposure like a hunter may get. I don't beleive any of,those monkeys became infected.

So for right now at least, I'm mainly concerned with consumption.

I think your questions and concerns are valid. I believe everyone will have their own perspective and logic to apply.

Certainly we could all stop hunting and thereby basically eliminate exposure to CWD and other deer-borne diseases. Or we could get rid of every last thing which touched a CWD+ animal. We could also pretend CWD is, and will always be harmless to adults and children of the human species. We could elect to cut up and eat a deer which was obviously dying from CWD. There are plenty of extremes we could pursue....whether we were paranoid, stubborn, or willingly blind. Most of us are none of those things and our approach falls somewhere in the middle. We won't quit hunting, but we won't eat a badly diseased deer. We won't put a load of CWD prions in the bellies of our still-developing children, but some of us will risk it for ourselves. We all figure out acceptable risk and that's how we live.

It's one thing to say the prions are everywhere external to our bodies. It's another to imply the risk (of that) is the same as ingesting infected animal meat or parts. We all know e. coli is a common organism in the environment which is pretty harmless and we try to keep it there. Still, we ingest some of it periodically and a few of us get sick. Most don't. Some die from it. We certainly wouldn't eat anything grossly contaminated with e. coli. But we still have to open the bathroom door at a restaurant after washing our hands....and we know it isn't particularly clean after 25 other guys walk out.

I personally think it's unreasonable to have a zero-risk attitude in life, because all risk can't be eliminated. I'll accept that a number of CWD prions might be in the bed of my truck or on a knife. They may well be found at the deer processing shop. I can't see them. I can't completely eliminate them. I can only try to avoid them when and where I know they exist. I can certainly justify not willingly consuming them, or keeping any part of the infected deer in my home, including head or antlers.

It's the same with lettuce. I have no way of knowing if a worker handles his junk and then picks the lettuce I'll eat. I know it can be contaminated but I accept that risk every week. Still....I'll try to avoid knowingly consuming contaminated food and I'm 100% sure most everyone would too. It's always about mitigating the risk....and not about completely eliminating it.

Knowing is the key. If I knew it was positive, I couldn't feed it to my family and friends.