Davis Wall Tent... Help me get it right the first time.

rbljack

WKR
following this one for my own info as well. Although I don't have one, I would think that the 3/4 floor would be nice to have an entry area with no floor, and the rest covered would be good. Because its comes standard with the elk package, that works. The rainfly with awning sounds like a HUGE benefit as well. I would also think that the rainfly would help with heat retention during winter hunts. I can see the benefit of a larger stove also. Side windows make sense too me for more airflow in warmer weather .Hope to read more on this, and also would love to hear more from yall as you continue through your decision making process. Good luck. Im sure you plan to ask these questions to the Davis Customer service. My only other thought would be: Is there any benefit for ya to getting screen doors at both ends instead of one door? just something to think about. Buy once cry once....right? LOL

OP
A
rbljack- our thoughts are pretty much aligned.

A porch addition might be something we add on down the road, as it sounds like a really nice thing to have.

I've already talked with Davis once this week, and they're great to work with. I'm going to call them at least once more before I order.

OP
A
Any tips on how to reasonably secure a wall tent camp while away hunting? I know if someone wants in the tent bad enough, they'll get in. This is just something I haven't had to consider before. Typically I lock many valuable things together via a long cable to make them more difficult to collectively drag off and put into a vehicle. Any other tips?

OP
A
Another question: At what point (mph) do these tents not work well in windy weather?

Last year hunting in WY a 20 mph wind was a calm day. 30-40mph steady winds was pretty common.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
If the tent might also be used in warmer weather the two side windows, one back window, and screen door sure are nice for ventilation. The Colorado style door is also well worth it. I have a rain fly for one of my wall tents but have never used the rain fly. Got it for a hunt that was expected to last three weeks in November and thought for sure would have to deal with some storms during that time but only hunted for 4 or 5 days and the weather was good. Have had wall tents out in the snow many times without using a rain fly though I do think it would help to keep some heat in.

Another question: At what point (mph) do these tents not work well in windy weather?

Last year hunting in WY a 20 mph wind was a calm day. 30-40mph steady winds was pretty common.
I've had mine in some miserable wind storms, I'm not sure how fast it was blowing, but it blew! The biggest thing is keeping the wind from getting under it. If it gets under one of the sides, it'll blow it up like a balloon. Then you have a rodeo on your hands. The porch extension usually gets pulled down if the wind gets too miserable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Any tips on how to reasonably secure a wall tent camp while away hunting?
I don't worry too much about it. You can throw up some hidden game cams if you want.

As for winds, in 2016 I took the family to Yellowstone and Glacier NP's. We were the ONLY people there with a wall tent, but a storm came through Yellowstone with 50+ mph winds while we were out. We may very well have been the only camp there without any issues. There weren't many tents still standing and many of them were flat out gone. I made some long stakes out of 1/2" rebar (2 feet long) with the top end hammered over that I use on each corner when I expect storms.....just to help. Never had an issue.

OP
A
Stakes was going to be my next question: Are the ones from Davis adequate for the most situations? Having a few longer rebar stakes on hand seem like a good idea.

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
We have some new stakes that we are coming out with in the next few months. Very similar to old army stakes. They will work very well with the ropes/guy lines. I used the prototypes all fall and loved them.

As far as how well they do with wind, I was in a pretty good wind storm in Colorado during the 2nd rifle season. I'll see if I can post the video of the wind/snow storm I was in.

Last edited:
OP
A
Davis Tent- Thanks for chiming in here and taking the time to answer my questions on the phone. You guys are top notch. My wife and I look forward to using our new Davis tent this fall.

cnelk

WKR
1) Definitely get a screened window in the back wall of the tent. It makes it nice for a cross breeze.

2) Get a stove pipe jack sewn in. At least a 4"

3) I bought some 'astro turf' at Home Cheapo for my floor.

4) I bought a good tarp and customized it to fit

I’ve been in some hellashish weather with mine. Keep the guy ropes tight and you’ll be fine

312B7F69-3F5B-4ADD-8F79-0D7E4E9648F1.jpegAA87C55F-76B8-43AB-8B3A-A60340134A5B.jpeg

WKR
I'd buy a quality made American stove. My Cylinder brand stove works great and is made in Utah. There are some other top quality American made products out there. I would pass on the chinese made stove that Davis sells.

I have a Davis tent built about 18 years ago. It has served us well on many hunts. I would buy another.

Have the Davis full floor with zip out, works quite well.

blackdawg

WKR
Has anyone tried adding the cook shack rather than a bigger tent if you want to add extra room? Looks like a decent option if you don’t need all the space every time you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have some new stakes that we are coming out with in the next few months. Very similar to old army stakes. They will work very well with the ropes/guy lines. I used the prototypes all fall and loved them.

As far as how well they do with wind, I was in a pretty good wind storm in Colorado during the 2nd rifle season. I'll see if I can post the video of the wind/snow storm I was in.

Can’t wait guys! Please post up when they are available! I’m a big fan of the old army style stakes! Still using them for my corners

Hey Guys I've been following this thread and thinking about getting my own wall tent. It would be to support elk and mule deer hunting and occasionally family camping.

The only thing I'm unsure of is the size. It will mainly be used to fit 2-4 people. I don't want it too big so that I can't strap it to the roof or back of my side by side. I need to be able to set it up with two people in under an hour. I'm worried if I get the 14x16 it will be so big I won't want to set it up if there are just two of us. I think I would use it most commonly with myself and two boys, who are 9 and 14 but growing fast.

So my main questions are, how fast to set up a 14x16? How big is it bundled/bagged up? Too big to fit in the back of a side by side with other camping gear? Or must it go in the back of a pickup truck or trailer?

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I’ve been using Wall tents for about 35 years, I am on my second and my buddies all have them in different support configurations.

I have the aluminum frame for mine and would never go another route after using that. super strong, light and easy to setup. I can set up the tent solo in 20 minutes with the aluminum frame ( I color-coded my poles)

All of my wall tents have the fire treatment and it’s worth mentioning that in some states and national parks they require canvas tents to be fire retardant. Now I’ve never been checked but it’s worth mentioning that is one of the regulations in many areas.

The fabric smell goes away after it’s been set up and aired out for a few days. You can smell the treatment if you put your nose right up to it but otherwise no.

I don’t think you can beat the cylinder stoves.

I like a three-quarter floor.