Davis Wall Tent... Help me get it right the first time.

@Beendare what size is your tent? How many people do you sleep in it typically? Where do you get aluminum poles? With the 3/4 floor do you have issues with bugs and critters in the warmer seasons? Do you typically cook inside the tent or outside?

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Guys I've been following this thread and thinking about getting my own wall tent. It would be to support elk and mule deer hunting and occasionally family camping.

The only thing I'm unsure of is the size. It will mainly be used to fit 2-4 people. I don't want it too big so that I can't strap it to the roof or back of my side by side. I need to be able to set it up with two people in under an hour. I'm worried if I get the 14x16 it will be so big I won't want to set it up if there are just two of us. I think I would use it most commonly with myself and two boys, who are 9 and 14 but growing fast.

So my main questions are, how fast to set up a 14x16? How big is it bundled/bagged up? Too big to fit in the back of a side by side with other camping gear? Or must it go in the back of a pickup truck or trailer?
By myself I can do it around 30-45 minutes weather dependent. A brand new 14x16 tent rolled up at our shop is approximately 15" x 33". A 14x16 would be tough to do with a side by side. Doable, but tough. The hardest part with that side by side will be transporting the poles.

OP
A
Aggie2010- did you order your tent yet??
I did! Hope to have it in 5-6 weeks, which seems to be the lead time right now at Davis. I’m hoping it arrives before the weather warms up here, so that we can test our cold weather gear

We skipped the fire treatment, upgraded to the large stove, added the extra windows, a poly rain fly and the max stove baffle.

I think we might add on a porch down the road.

Beendare

WKR
@Beendare what size is your tent? How many people do you sleep in it typically? Where do you get aluminum poles? With the 3/4 floor do you have issues with bugs and critters in the warmer seasons? Do you typically cook inside the tent or outside?
I went from a 12 x 16 (almost 20 yrs old ) to a 12 x 14 From Reliable tent.
I also have the Davis herder.

I never slept more than three guys in the bigger tent anyway though you could, so I went smaller on my new one and cut down my aluminum frame I had for the 16 footer.

i’ve had that aluminum frame for almost 20 years, I don’t know who makes them now.

my buddies have various configurations with the EMT conduit, I hate the ones with the polls down the middle after using my aluminum frame. those polls always seem to be in the way.

I sometimes cook inside when it’s just two guys but mostly we cook out in front of the tent under a tarp.

that cylinder stove will get a wall tent so hot its crazy

If there are mice and critters they will get into that tent whether you use a full floor or not. That is what Decon is for.

FWIW,
These tent companies always have sales after the hunting seasons for as much as 20% off if you can wait to buy one.

Thanks @Davis Tent for the advice.

It sounds like the 14x16 should really be for truck camping. For a spike camp or just a short duration 2 person camp that needs to be all packed up on a side by side, I should plan on the Go tent or a 10x12. What are the differences in size for these two tents, packed up? And for the Go tent I'm thinking it make sense to get the sewn in floor with zippered cut out for stove. I've read that the sewn in floor is a major pain for the bigger tents for this little guy it seems like it would be easy enough to manage.

Last edited:

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The 10x12 (brand new) packed up is approximately 14" x 22". The staff Go Tent, which has a sewn in floor, is approximately 16" x 30". The sewn in floor does add some bulk to it.

The staff Go Tent does have a sewn in floor with the zipper cut out. I used that tent during archery, 1st season, and 2nd season here in Colorado. I always bring a broom and then sweep the dirt into the zipper cut out area before packing the tent away.

Hope this helps!

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I ordered a Davis tent around 3-4 weeks ago. Obviously I can’t speak to the quality of the tent from my own experience since I don’t have it yet, but have heard nothing but great reviews. I can speak to the customer service though which was top notch. I’m recently getting back into hunting and camping and they happily answered all of the ridiculous questions I had. They also recommended certain upgrades which I was looking at and steered me away from things which I wouldn’t need based on my usage. They also are letting me come get the tent from a local outdoor show they’re attending in order to save me the cost of shipping.

if this tent turns out to be half as great as their customer service then I’ll be a happy camper (cheesy pun intended)

Thinking about grabbing one of these. I've got a canvas spike tent that I use for quick trips but would like to add a larger one for extended trips with more people. About how long is it taking to receive the tent after ordering?

OP
A
Thinking about grabbing one of these. I've got a canvas spike tent that I use for quick trips but would like to add a larger one for extended trips with more people. About how long is it taking to receive the tent after ordering?
I ordered mine on 2/19 and was told around 6 weeks. I still have about 2.5 weeks until mine is "due". Can't wait to get it and maybe even try it out on a turkey hunt this spring.

I went ahead and ordered a 14’x16’. I’ve already got a Colorado Cylinder stove and most of the other accessories so mostly just needed the tent

Ritzer81

FNG
I ordered my Davis tent in January, can't wait. My uses are simular to yours. I went with 14x16 with 24ft rain fly and side walls. I upgraded the stove to large. After talking to Davis tent I didn't get the FR treatment nor additional windows. I went with the 3/4 floor. I pick up the tent in May.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I did! Hope to have it in 5-6 weeks, which seems to be the lead time right now at Davis. I’m hoping it arrives before the weather warms up here, so that we can test our cold weather gear

We skipped the fire treatment, upgraded to the large stove, added the extra windows, a poly rain fly and the max stove baffle.

I think we might add on a porch down the road.

My hunting buddy and I just ordered ours last weekend from Davis Tent and they told us the lead time is 10 weeks right now.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Pay no mind to the stove pipe. I was trying something and it didn't work.

Taylor,

What size tent is this? Is that the traditional pole system or standard angles w/ EMT? Can you run through the advantages/disadvantages of each?

What's the packed size of each of the components for the 12x14?

Does your valley stove have a gasket on the door? I've read that it really helps with creating an air tight seal to control burn times. Is there any merit to that claim?

Davis Tent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Taylor,

What size tent is this? Is that the traditional pole system or standard angles w/ EMT? Can you run through the advantages/disadvantages of each?

What's the packed size of each of the components for the 12x14?

Does your valley stove have a gasket on the door? I've read that it really helps with creating an air tight seal to control burn times. Is there any merit to that claim?
This is the new Go Tent. It has the traditional pole system. The advantage of that system is that it has less poles than the internal frame, so it is lighter. The internal frame has more of an open concept. It has more poles and is heavier.

The tent itself for a 12x14 would roll up into more or less a cylinder shape, depending how you fold it. It would approximately have a height of 2' and a diameter of 1'. If doing a 4 column internal frame you would have 8 rafters approximately 6'6", 9 ridges right under 5'0", and 8 legs at 4'5 1/2". Those poles would all be cut from 1" EMT.

Our stoves do not has a gasket on it. That is something that I'm looking into though. I haven't done enough research yet to tell you if there is any merit to that claim.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I got my second Davis tent this spring. I have a 12X14 and now I have the 10X10 Go tent. Love both of them. I have screen Colorado door and a back window on both. Great for cross ventilation. Full roll out floor with the zipper for the stove on the larger tent. If you bought a stove, they recommend you burn it out before using it in the tent. It burns off the paint. Make sure you really get it hot and well burned off. I made the mistake of not getting it hot enough. The fumes from the paint burning off drove us out of the tent on a cold night until we could get it aired out.

Make sure all of you guys that said they were getting a tent post pictures of camp this year. Actually, I like nothing more than seeing wall tent pics so post em up!!!
XzX1GGi.jpg

PBUp7tx.jpg