Decoying for Moose

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I got my moose tag this year up in Alberta. I have heard that you can have pretty good results with using a decoy for moose. I will always be hunting solo. So any tips on using a moose decoy solo would be awesome. Archery season runs Sep 1 to Nov 1 then rifle from Nov 1 to Nov 30.

Cheers

JP100

WKR
Get a brown horse....

Ive been pretty close to Moose on horse back and know of numerous people who have had them bow range from horses. Old guide I worked with rekoned he had a bull try and mount a horse he was riding haha.

A horse is a win win, use it for a decoy, then pack that sucker out with it.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I don’t think it takes much if he’s feeling randy. I used ole“be the decoy” trick, smeared black paint all over my face and stood in an open field calling. He walked into 20 yards...

95362c763d5d3e749a0d457966186bda.jpg

You can’t cheat the mountain

Moose like to see decoys early and at a distance. Whatever you're using, let them have a look while they're still out there fairly far. It's enough to convince them to head your way for a better look sometimes....and then you can go to work on them at closer distances.

Sept 1 can be a tough hunt I hear. Are bulls even looking at cows then?
Cow decoy may be the edge needed.
Antler decoys work great around Oct 1

Jimss

WKR
If you've watched any Shockey hunting videos he often uses a paddle, bow, etc above his head as antlers and waddles back and forth. Moose don't have that great of vision and often like movement. A stationary decoy may not be enough? If you can move the decoy that may help? I've often whacked and rubbed a tree with whatever is available to add realism. The sound and movement usualy ,gets bulls fired up and seals the deal! Keep the wind in mind or they'll head the opposite direction!

JLW66

FNG
i went hunting in Manitoba a few years ago and the guide had a big tar paper like cut out of a cow moose. It was something that they had at a lumber camp, not thin tar paper, but thicker and more durable. He could roll it up and carry it without too much trouble. while i didnt get a moose with my bow, but im sure it would be able to at least get a bulls attention.

IdahoClay

FNG
I found calling to be more effective than a decoy. I hauled a Montana Decoy around for a month putting it up and taking it down. In the end found it to be a hassle.