Defund the Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to see the statistics from various areas on how many interactions and arrests are the result of calls to police vs. from just patrolling.

Some areas for cops must be no different than finding a saddle with a game trail between bedding and feeding areas.

Almost all of the times that I have ever been stopped were when getting off work at 2AM downtown on Friday or Saturday nights and having to drive through the bar district to get home. I was usually pulled over for an incomplete stop (most common excuse). The cop then leaned in really close to talk, smell for alcohol, and look at my eyes & license, and then said make sure you fully stop, and abruptly turned me loose...and then likely went right back to his treestand overlooking the game trail.
Now, imagine that same scenario again, and this time you're a black man. Did your chances of being harassed or arrested just go down, or up?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in larger cities my guess is that it's mostly call driven; I'm sure they get some patrolling in, but it's busy enough they are probably going call to call mostly

eamyrick

WKR
In that case, that is unquestionably foolish. The PD doesn't need brand new vehicles every other year and paramilitary equipment, but they CERTAINLY need to exist.

Try sitting in an armored vehicle as it gets shot up and tell me cops don’t need “military equipment.” Also most cars in big cities get run 24/7 365 with rotating shifts. They are sold every few years when repair cost exceeds new vehicle purchase.

Jauwater

WKR
Try sitting in an armored vehicle as it gets shot up and tell me cops don’t need “military equipment.” Also most cars in big cities get run 24/7 365 with rotating shifts. They are sold every few years when repair cost exceeds new vehicle purchase.
I agree completely. I get there are some bad apples out there, but we keep telling police what they "need" and "how to do" their job soon there wont be anybody willing to do their job. Not much in this world is perfect, and police as an entirety shouldnt be looked down upon from a few bad choices made by a few officers. As sad of a story it is, everyone caught up in that stink, in my mind were nothing more then products of their environment. I'm not saying either of them were terrible people. It's all a shame. But to talk like defunding the police is a good idea is ridiculous. The "Law", and the officers holding up that "Law" are the only reason alot of unlawful people haven't been shot. I think maybe some of these rioters should keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Cops don’t need military equipment because they aren’t military. They’re cops. They should drop the “civilians need to obey me” and “civilians are the enemy “ attitudes that they carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
Cops don’t need military equipment because they aren’t military. They’re cops. They should drop the “civilians need to obey me” and “civilians are the enemy “ attitudes that they carry.

So when you call because your neighbor decides to hole up in the second story of his house with a rifle and shoot every house in the neighborhood because he is high as a kite the cops should show up in a......? I’m asking because I’ve been there, multiple times, big cities aren’t Mayberry. Our swat team has vehicle assaulted a terrorist bomber, targeted isis, used night vision to peacefully end hostage situations of children. A lot of folks here are talking about something with zero experience.

So when you call because your neighbor decides to hole up in the second story of his house with a rifle and shoot every house in the neighborhood because he is high as a kite the cops should show up in a......? I’m asking because I’ve been there, multiple times, big cities aren’t Mayberry. Our swat team has vehicle assaulted a terrorist bomber, targeted isis, used night vision to peacefully end hostage situations of children. A lot of folks here are talking about something with zero experience.

My only experiences are from multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan where military equipment was necessary.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My only experiences are from multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan where military equipment was necessary.

then maybe consider a "ride-along" with a large municipal SWAT team and then tell us what you think

eamyrick

WKR

Sounds like you gave great ideas and a wealth of experience. Maybe you could join public service stateside (elected government, PD) and contribute to meaningful change.

then maybe consider a "ride-along" with a large municipal SWAT team and then tell us what you think

I think cops are not soldiers and they shouldn’t be treated or act as such. I do believe that they should have ROEs that we do though.

Sounds like you gave great ideas and a wealth of experience. Maybe you could join public service stateside (elected government, PD) and contribute to meaningful change.

Being a public servant doesn’t interest me in the slightest. The change that’s needed is in the form of training, specifically around constitutional rights. Hopefully that happens in the near future but I sincerely doubt it.

Respect is a two way street especially among citizens and our public servants.

Beendare

WKR
Such a stupid idea to get rid of the cops;

A guy needs to look at the statistics. Liberal Progressive totally ignore the fact that there are some really bad people running around out there.

Heres one stat; I think it was 262 cops injured or killed in NYC alone in the last 2 weeks. I can't imagine what the impact to normal law abiding citizens and destruction to businesses if we didn't have cops on the street.

What a truly idiotic proposal.

_____

_____

Defunding the police is an entirely different position than abolishing the police altogether. Most aren't arguing for completely getting rid of the police.

Attachments

• defund.jpg
    defund.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 56

rodney482

WKR
The guy was a slacker and lacked common sense. 16 complaints in 20 yrs..not all that surprising... working a craphole...

Brother been LEO 18 years. I asked him the same thing. His response was quite different.

He said guys obviously a douche and should have been fired years ago. You don't get that many complaints by doing a good job. Said union is the only reason he's still employed and this is what you get.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR

Seems to me that some civilians are cops enemies and the public should obey legal orders given by a cop. When a cop is arresting you and you resist you open a Pandora's box and anything can happen as we have seen a few times recently.
Departments are already having trouble finding good people to work and that is just going to get worse now....the answer certainly is not allowing rioters free reign so they will continue to vote for your party as we see more and more now in some areas.

in larger cities my guess is that it's mostly call driven; I'm sure they get some patrolling in, but it's busy enough they are probably going call to call mostly
Yup, and who is more likely to be called on. Ask the black birder in Central Park.

Ask the black dad who takes his daughter on walks through his neighborhood so he doesn't have the cops called on him for "being in the wrong neighborhood."

This is what is meant by "systemic racism." It's the snowball cause-and-effect scenario where people of color are suspected more often by citizens, so the officers are called on them more often, which turns into more contacts and opportunities for bad outcomes because officers are more suspicious and push those contacts harder, which leads to more people of color being arrested and fined, which starts the whole feedback loop up again.

I'm guessing that's probably true of most folks now. They won't have to "worry" about defunding the police, they won't be able to get anyone to even take the job in the first place.
Mandatory military service for every able-bodied American isn't the worst idea. There are many countries that require this. I think it would give a lot of folks some valuable perspective and maybe help them understand that if people like them don't step up and fill those public service jobs, we're all going to pay for it in the end.

Defunding the police is an entirely different position than abolishing the police altogether. Most aren't arguing for completely getting rid of the police.
They chose a terrible phrase to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't handed to them by the other party on purpose, so it could be used this November against them. That would be pretty smart actually.

Mike7

WKR
Now, imagine that same scenario again, and this time you're a black man. Did your chances of being harassed or arrested just go down, or up?

Here is the point that many fail to realize, and I suspect that you may be part of that crowd. No one here that I have heard is condoning an officer behaving in the harassing fashion that you describe. In fact, most would want increased police accountability for those kind of actions (and have recommended mechanisms for this, which historically have fallen on deaf ears in cities controlled by progressives who need for the public to be controlled and dependent in order to maintain their power structure).

But that also means that all suspects, including that portion who are black males, need to take responsibility for their actions as well.

For instance, if I happened to be a black male when stopped as you suggest, and was to yell at the cop for needlessly stopping me instead of containing my frustration somewhat, and called him a little white bitch or uncle tom and got out of my car in a threatening manner against instructions, well then some of the escalation is directly on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.