Defund the Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The pendulum is swinging.

It is and it isn’t. If you google “Officer Acquitted Shooting” you will find pages of stories relating incidents just like this one from the past few years.

The past few years the routine in prosecution Across the country is for the DA to charge the officer, even if they know the shooting falls under state law, federal law, department policy, and case law like Graham v Connor and Tennessee V Garner. The jury acquits the officer and the DA can blame the system, the defense, or the jury, but he/she can still tell the press that he stands up to Police Misconduct....and tried. The Chief or Sheriff fires the officer even in states where they have due process or civil service appeals, and knowing they were following policy and the law. After the trial there will be little to no news about the officer getting his/her job back, back pay, and a big settlement. But the admin can say they “tried”.

The thing is if you follow US history, this type of stuff is cyclical, starting in the mid 1960s.

16Bore

WKR
Sort of...

It is just the time you lose being behind the incident as it unfolds with unfortunately action always faster than reaction. It is being on the defensive side of the OODA loop. It does not always excuse the behavior or reaction by the officer, but it explains the delay in response.

Not saying it’s an “excuse” but real in that kind of situation.

GA law
Atlanta police dept lethal force policy
I think you missed the point of my comment.

I'm very familiar with use of force polices. Studied them for nearly 20 years and was trained in them every year, 2x/year.

The point is whether there was in fact, a threat. Not how to respond once the threat has been identified as one that justifies deadly force. Two different questions.

Last edited:

The pendulum is swinging.
Damn!! I hope this is the classic overcharge knowing that none of it’s gonna stick but after watching the conference I think the DA is going for blood. I think police officers and sheriffs deputy‘a need to take a long hard look at where they’re at in life and decide if this is really what they wanna do or if they feel that the job is worth it anymore. I don’t think it is. It seems a shift has happened and whether it’s just media portrayal or real I don’t know. I have idea why anybody would want to job in law-enforcement currently. If anyone is considering, has a son or daughter considering a career in law-enforcement I think you need to get your head examined.

kda082

WKR
If this happened to my son I’d be mad as hell at everyone but mostly him for doing something as reckless as driving drunk and stupid as fighting a cop and stealing the weapon. It could have been handled differently but when you cross that line and fight an officer, the consequences will be severe. What if that officer got tased, now a man making reckless decisions has a pistol. I cant watch the news any more. I like to think for myself and draw my own conclusions.

jmez

WKR
If this happened to my son I’d be mad as hell at everyone but mostly him for doing something as reckless as driving drunk and stupid as fighting a cop and stealing the weapon. It could have been handled differently but when you cross that line and fight an officer, the consequences will be severe. What if that officer got tased, now a man making reckless decisions has a pistol. I cant watch the news any more. I like to think for myself and draw my own conclusions.
And that's the reason something like that isn't going to happen to your son. He was raised better than that.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
Yeah kinda what I said. And why all of this is more a societal/ socioeconomic issue rather than a race issue.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
they had a retired leo on the news (now a professor at a university) asked about the latest shooting in Atlanta and his statement rang pretty true- "it was lawful, but awful", that sums it up pretty well

jmez

WKR
And he had a father figure at home, which not everyone has.
And not everyone that doesn't have a father figure at home is like that either. Mother's can raise responsible law abiding citizens on their own if they so choose.

Nutsknr

FNG
So, dude was on probation fro felony imprisonment, felony child abuse.

DUI sent him back to prison.

POS got 7 years for beating a kid. Amazing how those facts just came out.
He fought and ran to not go to prison.

How bad do you beat a kid to get 7 years?

And not everyone that doesn't have a father figure at home is like that either. Mother's can raise responsible law abiding citizens on their own if they so choose.

Yup, you're talking to one in fact. But what do most studies show - that young people who grow up without a father figure in the home are many times more likely to be arrested, spend time in jail, etc, etc. Which was my point.

It's a compounding influence.

So, dude was on probation fro felony imprisonment, felony child abuse.

DUI sent him back to prison.

POS got 7 years for beating a kid. Amazing how those facts just came out.
He fought and ran to not go to prison.

How bad do you beat a kid to get 7 years?

So, that means it's okay to shoot someone because they had a prior conviction? Did the officers know that at the time?

jmez

WKR
Your also talking to one. It kind of Jade's my view on this topic because when I get the walk a mile in their shoes, I already have.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, that means it's okay to shoot someone because they had a prior conviction? Did the officers know that at the time?

no but it does probably explains why he resisted, took the officer's taser, tried to escape and pointed and shot the taser at the chasing officer

Nutsknr

FNG

Did they know he didn’t have a gun?

Kinda disproves the kind dad looking forward to celebrating his daughters B day narrative. Same daughter he imprisoned and beat the shit out of?

Also kinda shows he WAS trying to fight to not go to prison.

He wasn’t cuffed, so he wasn’t patted down, how do you know he didn’t have a gun in him?

Seems there might be a new issue.

I guess folks can call Killer Mike or the mayor when they are being robbed, raped, beat, or stolen from.

no but it does probably explains why he resisted, took the officer's taser, tried to escape and pointed and shot the taser at the chasing officer
agreed. it's pretty common for folks to resist when they realize the cuffs are about to go on, or when the first one goes on.

That was a shitty situation for those officers. I've watched the video a few times, and I am not sure they violated any policy, but it's been a while since I went through taser training and I can't recall exactly what the policy was regarding having a taser aimed at you. If it's the same as pepper spray, then that is in fact, a deadly force situation, and if that's the case, then that was a justified use of force.

I think in other periods of time, this would be pretty cut and dried. However, right now, in our current climate... it's a bad time to use deadly force for officers, and since my son is a brand new officer, I am very concerned for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.