Diesel truck regret?

Hey all, so I have been thinking about getting a new truck. Possibly going back to a gasser 1/2 ton. I have a small farm I tow a no more then 10k. Have any of you guys had regret going from diesel to gas? I’m a little worried I will regret it.

SDHNTR

WKR
10k is no slouch of a load. Forget about 1/2 ton. Not for lack of power, which is what everyone thinks about, but for lack of handling and braking capabilities. IMO, towing anything over 5-6k is not fun with a 1/2 ton. I drive a diesel now but it’s a 5.9 Cummins and dead reliable without all the emissions and DEF crap. If I were new truck shopping now, and considering I tow on occasion too, I’d buy a 3/4 ton gasser.

hflier

WKR
My 2018 Cummins Ram gets twice the mileage of my previous Chevy and Toyota gasser. At a 20% premium to regular gas the math makes no sense for me to go back to gas. Love my Diesel!

Ron

PARA1977

FNG
I had an 06 Dmax 2500 that I sold due to not pulling horses anymore so I bought a Ford F-150 4x4
I was all happy for about a year I kept telling myself
I don’t need that extra power or towing ability.
That worked for another year and then I went and bought a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 and then it dawned on me I was lying to myself. They are no more costly to own then these new Gas trucks so why not.

Trr15

WKR
Ive debated this myself. I’m considering trading in my 2015 Ram Cummins. I don’t really “need” a diesel at this point, but I honestly don’t think I can go back to a gas engine truck. As previously stated, it does t really cost more to own one over the other and I really like having the extra pulling power if I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was I. Your shoes. Traded in my duramax and bought a 14 1500 5.7. The first time I hooked to a trailer and put it in drive I instantly regretted it. Drove it for three years gave it to my son to go to college. I went and bought a 3500 duramax. Haven’t had a single problem.

Marble

WKR
Can you rent or borrow a truck that is exactly what you want to get and try it out for a few weeks?

For me, based on towing 10k regularly, 3/4 truck for sure. Doesnt have to be diesel. There are gas trucks with enough power to pull. But the chassis and supporting tranny, brakes and attachments on a 3/4 ton are beefier. Built for what you plan on doing.

Getting a half ton may cost you more in the long run with repairs and/or replacing it before you would with a big truck.

Grumman

WKR
I have not regretted it for my purposes. Diesel is a +30% premium over gas where I live. I was especially happy when I went across a muddy section of the farm this year that I am certain my heavy front end diesel would have gotten stuck.

Outlaw99

WKR
Today’s diesels are great, as soon as you delete all egr and emissions related systems. Don’t worry about voiding your warranty deleting those things. Those things are the only reason you’ll be going in for warranty work. My 11 ram 6.7 cummins has 177,000 on it, and hasn’t needed a thing besides a water pump since I got rid of that crap. Also increased my mileage and hp in the process. That being said, the majority of guys I see driving around in 3/4 diesels don’t even come close to needing them. It seems like somewhere a bug got put in someone’s ear that driving a diesel will actually act as a penis extension as well.

OP
U
When I do tow it’s usually never more then 50 miles. Like I said we have a small farm that we moved to last year. This year I will start growing hay so I will be towing a little more then normal. I currently have a 2015 ram 2500. I just hate all the emissions on the new ones. I have had a few problems with it in the past. I could always delete it. I’m mainly just concerned I would regret it and the more I think about it the more I wanna stay with a diesel.

I drive quite a bit and there’s a slim chance I get into another half ton. They can’t do the work, don’t hold value, and get poor gas mileage.

Hey all, so I have been thinking about getting a new truck. Possibly going back to a gasser 1/2 ton. I have a small farm I tow a no more then 10k. Have any of you guys had regret going from diesel to gas? I’m a little worried I will regret it.
I've recently pondered the same question. I have a 1-ton Dodge that I bought new back in 2003, and at the time I wanted to buy my first "exactly everything that I want in a truck" new truck. So I ended up with the most loaded 4 door, 4WD, Dodge diesel that was available in '03. I was able to pay it off within a couple years and have since been driving a truck that now has almost 250,000 miles on it and costs me around $1200-1500/year average with maintenance and insurance costs. I've had some big maintenance costs years, like a new transmission at about $3500, but then I've also had $0 maintenance costs years as well. When I bought the truck I had a very heavy (3000+ lb), slide in camper and a 21' jet boat that I would haul and tow around quite a bit (my biggest reason for buying the truck). I have since sold both the boat and camper, and now rarely haul anything really heavy and the heaviest thing I tow is a light wt. 17' aluminum river boat. So, I guess I really have no need for this type of truck anymore. The question is, do I want to get into monthly payments and insurance costs, that would probably be over half of what my current yearly costs are, just for the satisfaction of owning/driving a new pickup? In the end, the answer is always no. Another thing that I didn't mention when I first bought this truck, was my plan/hope to drive it until it had at least 500,000 miles, and now that I'm about half way there, I figure that I only have another 17 years left of driving it to reach my goal. Since I've always been kind of suborn (word my wife often uses to describe me), when it comes to attaining goals, I guess I'll either reach the 1/2 million mark, or die trying. Boy, I sure hope it's not the latter.

rayporter

WKR
gas is fine for what you describe. half ton????

lets put it this way, if you hit me i will make sure the cop checks the capacity of the trucks hauling and the trailer.

I'm really curious about the maintenance cost of a gas pickup. I'm having trouble figuring out what y'all are spending all your money on. I know of a pile of 1/2 ton gas trucks that only get the oil changed. Plugs somewhere at 75-125k.

I run a '17 Cummins 3500 drw. Maintenance on it sucks. Fuel filters every oil change, just the oil to do change is around $75. Fuel filters are costing around $100. Everything on these heavier trucks is more expensive. Granted this newer one seems better with the emissions stuff than the '11 I had.

Last year our trip out west we pulled the same trailer with different trucks. I had to come back early so I pulled it out and a different truck brought it back. Wasn't a heavy load but it was a 14' enclosed that is a flat nose and extra tall. Had a 3/4 ton gas pull it back east. Fuel bill was cheaper for the gas truck than my diesel. Granted we ran around 80 mph and I have 4.10 rear so rpms kill kill fuel mileage as much as anything.

From what I have been seeing fuel cost/mile are pretty even on these gas trucks compared to the diesel if not in favor of the gas now. Granted that hasn't always been the case, I'm not talking about a big block Chevy compared to a pre-emissions Cummins. But for what I'm seeing new gas 3/4 ton to new diesel 3/4 they are costing pretty even on fuel, maintenance is more on the diesel, initial purchase price is more for diesel. Better fuel mileage when heavy hauling with diesel, better resale. I'm not convinced that a diesel will be on the road longer than a gas truck anymore, there's a lot more to them than just the engines. And I have been seeing plenty 1/2 ton trucks going 3-350k now.