Dishwasher replacement questions

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone on here repair appliances and/or handle a lot of rentals and can advise on brands of Dishwashers? I know that most appliances these days are not made to last and its pretty much a crapshoot between brands but I'm hoping someone with hands on experience in the field can give some feedback as to what brands to avoid and/or suggestion on our new purchase.

P.S. tried getting the wife drunk but apparently that's not a good way to load the dishwasher anymore.

go_deep

WKR
Best dishwasher I have ever owned.
Fisher and Paykel, split draws are fantastic!

All ears. Mine is 10 years old and starting to fail. FWIW a repair man quoted $150-200 to come out for a diagnostic. Even he recommended that I go ahead and spend the money to replace it Instead of trying to fix it.

Mt Al

WKR
We have a Bosch that's 14 years and still operating, FWIW. Maybe the new ones suck, but ours has been great. Main issue on ours have been not leaving a ton of crud on what goes in to the dishwasher and the total cheapness/garbage drain hose out the back of the dishwasher that goes into the drain. Have had those fail twice.

7mm-08

WKR
We're super happy with our Bosch - spendy, but quiet and dependable. Make sure you find a plumber with knowledge of Bosch dishwasher installation if you go that route. We have KitchenAids in our rentals and they have been very good. I also have a friend who has Maytags in his rentals sand he says they're bullet proof.

OP
E

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
We're super happy with our Bosch - spendy, but quiet and dependable. Make sure you find a plumber with knowledge of Bosch dishwasher installation if you go that route. We have KitchenAids in our rentals and they have been very good. I also have a friend who has Maytags in his rentals sand he says they're bullet proof.
What would be special about the installation? I would normally always do it myself.

MattB

WKR
We have been happy with our Boschs. Seems like there is a theme developing.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
My Miele is like a pressure washer and does a great job. I dont like the sour smell it gets frequently though.

TaperPin

WKR
Whatever you get, it’s not uncommon for the quietest models to clean like crap. One way around it is to use the 1 hour wash - the noise and power consumption ratings are for the normal wash cycle and ours is twice as good at cleaning on the one hour.

I have heard that most appliance repairmen buy Bosch.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The only issue I have had when installing them is where to secure them because of the type of counter tops we have. I ended up using the side method. No big problem but a little more care needs to be taken. As for the type, now days it's a crap shoot. Check consumers report.

Mpmoody15

FNG
I wish this thread existed last week. The Whirlpool that I believe is original to my house (10+ years) was working fine but the plastic coating on the racks failed and rust was starting to form. Over the past few weeks, chunks of rusted rack were starting to fall off after each use. I looked into replacement racks but for my long out of production model, the top and bottom racks were $300.

I found another Whirlpool on sale at Lowe’s for $399 delivered before tax. I used my same power cord and installed the thing in about 30 minutes. I hope to get another ten years with this Whirlpool.

Went thru two in the last decade.About the same time I heard someone,maybe like Tony robins etc talk about all the time wasted.He was right.
Scrape off plates,well the kids don’t!
Rinse plates,load dishwasher and rearrange because kids can’t stack stuff correctly.
Run cycle,works for a few years than you have to run again to because it didn’t clean.
Than if it does clean dishes it does not dry them so you have to hand dry with a towel.
Than if you dont take apart and clean every qtr it cakes up a lasagna type gunk.
All the time is now saved by hand washing immediately and putting in dryer rackZ
30 seconds and it’s done and every one does there dishes.
Best appliance decision we have ever made,after a few years even the wife agrees.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Every dish washer we have had always left Classe with spots. We have hard water where we live. My wife found out from a friend, Oxiclean crystal clear glasses and dishes is the answer. Just a little squirt is all it take, Classes come out completely spotless.

SWOHTR

WKR
I put Bosch's in the last two houses I owned. They're fantastic machines and I cannot recommend them enough. The third rack (uppermost one) adds a lot of functionality and capacity. They clean well, dry well, are whisper quiet, and the door doesn't squeak when you open/close it (unlike my in-laws' new GE). The only two things they could do to improve the unit would be to 1) extend the lower rack, higher so plates/cutting boards don't hang over the side when loading and 2) make it so the silverware rack doesn't catch on the lower rack so easily. We have the 42 dB model.

All this to say, I would never buy a different brand at this point.

SWOHTR

WKR
Every dish washer we have had always left Classe with spots. We have hard water where we live. My wife found out from a friend, Oxiclean crystal clear glasses and dishes is the answer. Just a little squirt is all it take, Classes come out completely spotless.
Might I suggest a water softener? I've lived in SoCal twice and that water is nasty hard. Water heater failed in one of the houses due to lime buildup. Put a softener in the second house and had no problems.