Dishwasher replacement questions

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Might I suggest a water softener? I've lived in SoCal twice and that water is nasty hard. Water heater failed in one of the houses due to lime buildup. Put a softener in the second house and had no problems.
I really don't like water softeners. I know there are advantages, but I find the Oxiclean takes care of at least one problem.

7mm-08

WKR
What would be special about the installation? I would normally always do it myself.
So, you're asking the dumba** homeowner this question. My recollection, however, is that at the time we installed out Bosch unit, the "normal" plumber we were working with on our house remodel project subbed the installation of the dishwasher to another plumbing company. When I asked our general why his plumber did so, his response was something that caused me to think that there was some sort of expertise/experience that the general's plumber lacked. Sorry if my explanation was less than helpful!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
So, you're asking the dumba** homeowner this question. My recollection, however, is that at the time we installed out Bosch unit, the "normal" plumber we were working with on our house remodel project subbed the installation of the dishwasher to another plumbing company. When I asked our general why his plumber did so, his response was something that caused me to think that there was some sort of expertise/experience that the general's plumber lacked. Sorry if my explanation was less than helpful!
It's so easy, even a caveman could do it.

Loper

WKR
This has me rethinking a recent decision. I just bought a new GE dishwasher from Lowe’s a week ago. It wasn’t in stock so it is set to be delivered and installed here shortly. Now I’m thinking I should have bought a Bosch.

Vaultman

WKR
I've owned more dishwashers than I care to admitt. Biggest problem with "the new ones" is that they fill up on a timer and assume they have a certian amount of water pressure, so if you do not have enough pressure at the shutoff it will never work very well.
We have a KitchenAid now, and it is way better than the last one (ultra quite Bosch) that we had, and the Kenmore we had before that.

Yoder

WKR
Don't buy a GE. Mine only lasted 4 years then it leaked through the floor and destroyed my basement ceiling. The claims adjuster told me GE failed more than any other brand. He highly recommended Bosch. It was $1k which I thought was crazy but I bought it. It is fully sealed and has internal leak detection. I've only had it a year but so far so good.

Beendare

WKR
One thing to consider; the size of the drain hose.
If you pre clean the dishes…no problem with Fisher- Paykel type units with the small drain hose. If not, they clog easy.

IME, Bosch is very good…of the cheaper units Whirlpool has been pretty darn good

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
My guess is all appliances built in the last ~10 years are generally crap. Always exceptions, of course, but quality has taken a hit IMHO for the sake of corporate profits.

With that said, we have a Bosch that was installed in 2010 and has run flawlessly for 13+ years. Quiet as a church mouse and does a good job at cleaning what is put in it.

For the second comment alone, I would buy another Bosch in spite of my first statement.

Good luck,

Eddie

mi650

WKR
Whatever you buy, make sure it's not a Samsung! In 2014, we had an addition put on and bought all new appliances, all Samsung. The stove is the only one left, and we just had it repaired last month. The dishwasher was the 1st to go.

Currently have a Maytag, but will be getting a Bosch when the time comes.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone on here repair appliances and/or handle a lot of rentals and can advise on brands of Dishwashers? I know that most appliances these days are not made to last and its pretty much a crapshoot between brands but I'm hoping someone with hands on experience in the field can give some feedback as to what brands to avoid and/or suggestion on our new purchase.
Well, most appliances are made to be cheap, because that is what the customer wants. You can get commercial dishwashers that are designed to last, they start at $4,000. Or you can spend $600-$1000 on something with more home friendly features and replace it is 5-10 years.

I have been happy with the LG dishwasher I installed last year, it has a metal tub, is very quiet, and cleans well. MSRP was about $1000, but I got it for about $600.

Get a model that has a built in disposer/food grinder.

If it doesn't have a disposer, you will have to pull and clean the filter basket often.

Also, don't try to cheap out and reuse the supply line hose. Get a new one. The hose and rubber washers wear out and won't reseal as well. A slow leak under the dishwasher could cause big problems. A new line is relatively cheap insurance.

Elk97

WKR
A lot of Bosch fans here and maybe they are great and we just got a lemon. About 10 years old now and we've had several problems with it and replaced electronics and had a couple of repairmen out to try and figure things out. Only way we can get it to run now is by repeatedly pushing the start button during the first three minutes or it goes into error mode and you have to start over. Glad others have had better luck.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have a whirlpool from 2017, recently replaced the pump that fills it. Technically it works but not like it should, that pump was $100 easy to install myself but looking at what it would cost to get it back to like new working condition it’s better to just put that money towards a replacement.