Does cordura suck?

CorbLand

WKR
Looks like I’ll be in SLC the week of the expo so the plan is to go play with some stuff and see if I can talk myself into something new. I’m pretty good at that.
The most expensive part of going to the Expo is getting the necessary clothes required for entrance.

The only downside I have found to Cordura is its initial weight. Its just heavy compared to other materials.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Excellent suggestion 👊🏼. Even the 3600 bag isn’t overbearing during the day hunt style, and I can put 7 days of stuff in it if need be.
I used Cindy's for a few days on my SO frame and I liked all the pockets and layout of the 2200 bag a lot. Down at the bottom of that text was me referring to likely buying a K4 frame at WHCE since we have two bags and just her frame in the house. I think he would love it IF the frame fits him. I haven't ordered one because of the frame fit IF as well.

I very much agree with @pods8 (Rugged Stitching) that webbing and straps are a significant source of overall pack weight. I think @mtwarden gave a good summary of materials as well.

As promised.
Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 10.50.28 AM.png
Under the specs tab it says 5.25 ounces per square yard. https://www.challenge-outdoor.com/ultraweave-collection

Cordura is very hard to track specs down. This is the only sheet I could find with the two same ASTM procedures.
Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 11.04.59 AM.png
Here's a great example of what I meant by dilution of Cordura products. These are both stated as 500d Cordura; notice the differences in weight, tensile strength, and Taber testing.
Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 11.17.42 AM.png
Here's a neat video showing the 2261 testing. https://www.universalgripco.com/astm-d2261
Here's one for 3884 astm d3884

So, for me, "Cordura sucks" is part the relationship I have with @Ucsdryder, part difficulty knowing exactly where in the range of parameters for "cordura" the piece of material falls in, a decade in textiles at Davis Tent, and using some of the UHMPE fabrics. In the specific context of the conversation he is referencing, I think he would have been sad with the purchase, and knowing him, I'm nearly certain "I can get it for a bargain" carried more weight in the attractiveness of the purchase than anything else.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I built myself this bag before the 2018 season and have primarily used it since, other than fading the 500d nylon has held up well. The bottom is either VX42 or X50 xpac, there are a couple pin holes worn into that (keep in mind this pack has been thru NM sheep hunting a few times set down on abrasive rocks), the durastretch took a beating this season and has torn in a few places now.

Its moderately feature rich with extra layers/zippers, etc. which allow organization/access and if I recall correctly is 2.6lb, there is room to shave weight but unless your kit is really dialed in light its not a massive weight contributor. I can see going to some other material to avoid wetting out if you hunt in a place that is really wet (not too much of an issue for me in CO). But long story short the 500d is cost effective and holds up without too much weight penalty imho.

37NOg8Ll.jpg

KS42WM9l.jpg

RPH5etwl.jpg

nRoYDJNl.jpg

ljalberta

WKR
I have had packs made of Xpac, Ultra and Cordura. Cordura is an excellent choice in my opinion for a pack material. I’ve found it to be quiet and durable. Maybe it stains easier than other fabrics, but I tend to just hose my packs down at the end of the season to get most of the blood out. If you’re concerned about never having a stain, something like Xpac might be better.

I haven’t done a proper test, but it’s seemed that when my ultra pack got soaked through, it may have taken a hair longer to dry compared to the cordura. Or course the cordura is less water resistant to start off.

I’ll be interested to see how the Ultra fabrics stand up over long term use.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wonder if kifaru is going to continue to use cordura in their new packs?

I wonder if kifaru is going to continue to use cordura in their new packs?

1acc8cc6ae78655338095bb1721badbb.jpg

This looks like a different ripstop fabric. Definitely doesnt look like the X Pac I have used. Anyone know what it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Cordura for out West where distances are long, it may be fine, even preferred.
In the East, where distances are much closer and stealth is of upmost importance, I consider cordura way too loud.

Alaska92

FNG
No, it does not. Something rarely mentioned about “waterproof” material, is that whatever keeps water out, also keeps water in. Cordura can breathe. Some will say that water will never get in. All I can say, is good luck with that. For reference, I live and hunt in Alaska. It gets a little wet up here sometimes. I have seen that exact scenario. Obviously, waterproof stuff sacks are great as long as what you put in them is dry. Not always the case in reality. Multi day back pack hunts up here are typically wet. Everything is wet. Even a day that it doesn’t precipitate, likely it will be cool to cold and no sun. Reliance on a brisk wind to help dry things out is all you may have. Every material you consider for your gear needs to be able to dry easily and quickly comparatively. Continued water (even just trapped moisture) in a pack after 10+ days can start to get a bit moldy. Something to consider. If you go into a warm place every night or possibly only hunt in dry climates then it‘s probably not a concern. But then again, if that was the scenario then why would you need a pack made with “waterproof” material? Save a few ounces? Potentially a little tougher? Certainly noisier. Especially when it gets cold. I have multiple packs with X-PAC and it’s extremely crinkly in the cold. Another thing to consider. Food for thought.