Does cordura suck?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have the itch for a new pack. I was discussing packs with someone, he’s not necessarily a smart man, but he said “cordura sucks”.

So my question is simple. When talking pack material

Does cordura suck?

Wrongside

WKR
Nope. I used X-PAC pack bags for the last 10 years. Back to using a pack made mostly of Cordura. It works just fine as a pack material, and is durable.

Just had to add a 2-3 ounce rain cover to the standard carry items, for those wet days.

Most my packs are cordura, recently got one in xpac. I have never torn a hole in my cordura packs by busting brush. I just got back from S Texas and have 3 holes in the xpac one, it's also louder.
They both have their place and I'll continue to use both, but don't think cordura sucks. I think for most peoples purposes it makes more sense than the xpac.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I do not think cordura is a poor pack material. It is a decent balance for cost, weight, abrasion resistance, material noise, and weather resistance. There are fabrics that are lighter but noisier or heavier and tougher. 500d cordura is (currently) a sweet spot for a lot of backpack hunters and I think that’s why many manufacturers use it. As new materials come to market, this may change. For example, I really like the Ultra 400 material my SO Flight 2 is made of and would love a SG bag in the same material for my x-curve.

If you have a specific application in mind or want to try a different material you might find something you like more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve tried xpac and strongly prefer cordura. I might feel differently if I hunted a constantly wet environment; the potential waterproofness of xpac seems to be its only noticeable advantage.

11boo

WKR
My cordura packs do not suck. I am impressed with how well the lighter weight stuff refuses to wear out.

Yeah the 500 type corduroy is where I like to be as well. Id prefer a little extra weight for peace of mind knowing it will last rather than worry about poking holes in something that is super lightweight

Theres a reason the military uses cordura. The only downside im aware of is it is kind of heavy. If you are going for ultralight, theres probably better options. If practicality and durability are highest priority, its the gold standard as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
How much weight do you give the opinion of a man described as "not necessarily smart"?

My SG is a combination of cordura and xpac. In the 10 years that I've owned it, I have never noticed the material sucked.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Also to add, what do you need from your pack in terms of material? Do you have something special in mind from normal hunting?

We’re all assuming normal hunting use when saying 500d (ish) materials do decent.

But if I was they hiking for months lightweight I’d certainly want a pack of lighter ripstop material or such.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Be honest, this is @sndmn11 right?
Haha yeah. I was just busting his balls on the smart part! 😜

I’m not going to lie though. I am tired of my heavy pack. I don’t run a day pack, just my normal pack compressed down. When one starts to count the miles and miles a year a pack is worn in day pack mode, finding a few pounds of savings really makes a difference.

The other big issue is selling my kifaru and starting over. I’m not looking forward to spending a bunch of money on a new system.

Drenalin

WKR
Haha yeah. I was just busting his balls on the smart part! 😜

I’m not going to lie though. I am tired of my heavy pack. I don’t run a day pack, just my normal pack compressed down. When one starts to count the miles and miles a year a pack is worn in day pack mode, finding a few pounds of savings really makes a difference.

The other big issue is selling my kifaru and starting over. I’m not looking forward to spending a bunch of money on a new system.
My only real gripe with xpac is the noise, but for where and how I hunt it's a big one. I don't think you'd have any significant durability concerns with it. But I also think you can save a fair bit of weight going from Kifaru to a different cordura pack, IF you can be as comfortable in another pack as you are in a Kifaru.

I'd really like to see somebody rip off Seek Outside's frame and belt system, build the whole thing out of 330 cordura, and mish mash Exo's and Kuiu's bag designs. I started sketching this out a few years ago, then realized I'm not a seamstress, or even that ambitious :LOL:

Last edited:

feanor

WKR
I’m using an xcurve with a challenge type fabric and simple bag design and my set up is very very light. I prefer that to a bunch of pull outs and attachment etc., because when I haul meat, it still hauls the same as an xcurve (great).

So if you have the itch for a new setup, you can save a good amount of weight on the bag alone if switching to a lighter fabric.

sndmn11

WKR
The US military uses cordura because it's cheap and you can source it in America. It's rare for "the best" of any given product to be in general use by the military. I still prefer cordura as stated above, just pointing out that the military isn't the best measuring stick for gear choices.

I'd add ridiculously available as well. I think there's better choices available for a person who hauls a lot of meat and doesn't want to "maintain" their pack.

Cindy and I had a few snow and sleet days during archery this year, and I was worried that her stuff inside would be soaked. It wasn't.
A friend was using a mystery ranch pack and his stuff was soaked to the point of a few hours in he borrowed some of my clothes because the stuff in his pack was too wet. https://www.rokslide.com/exo-mountain-gear-k4-exs-pack-system/
She also had no issues with blood from meat shelf and internal meat carrying, and I'm pretty sure she wet paper towels for clean up. My knowledge of cordura leads me to believe there's a point where the exterior will need treated with some sort of dwr. It would be a great question for Mark when we talk to him in SLC.

@pods8 should be able to speak to his experience compared to my view; "cordura" is a diluted name just like Kleenex or Bandaid. It can be bought many different ways, with different interior laminates and exterior treatments. When I was buying and selling it, you absolutely had to get samples before buying because "500/1000d cordura" could end up being a lot of things. Buying from the weaving house direct fixed that issue, but elevated the cost drastically. For those doubting that statement, think about how the 500d that SG uses on most of their packs has a different stiffness (hand) than what Exo uses.

For context, @Ucsdryder asked if he should be a Fulcrum bag to replace his Nomad. I assumed the Fulcrum was used. Knowing that he hauls meat as much as he hikes, and I've never known him to do a multi day pack in, I said "cordura sucks". Between his wife, kid, himself, and friends, I have known him to move meat and then have an immediate turn around to get another carcass. He's also mentioned that he feels his pack could/should be lighter. (Assuming a used pack again) I gave my opinion that he'd probably have the same outlook after a season, and he is now going to WHCE to play with packs since Kifaru, Exo, SO, SG, AGC, Initial Ascent, etc will be there.

I'll try and grab some numbers today for waterproofness, tear strength, and abrasion testing, etc.