Does cordura suck?

I won't be ever going back to cordura as my main backcountry pack. I've had great luck with my Xpac and am sure will someday be trying out whatever the latest and greatest fabric is when my current pack gets tired. That said, my primary backcountry trip every year is on the Kenia - so as close to true waterproof as I can get is important to me. I had the experience of a completely wetted out cordura once and it wasn't fun (oddly not in AK but mountain goat hunting in CO). I've yet to put a hole in my Xpac from alder, devil's club etc. up there - but I've heard stories about the thorns in TX and AZ and do not doubt it can be done. Xpac isn't too loud to me above freezing but can get very loud in the teens and 20's. The answer is of course you need several packs! Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Looks like I’ll be in SLC the week of the expo so the plan is to go play with some stuff and see if I can talk myself into something new. I’m pretty good at that.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cordura doesn't suck, but there are alternatives.

I pretty sure SO has moved away from XPac to Ultra; pretty sure SG is starting to move at least some of their pack bags to Ultra as well.

I find Ultra to be quieter than XPac and just as water resistant (can't technically say waterproof unless use seal the seams). It's evidently more durable than XPac, but I've always found XPac to be plenty durable.

Wetting out a Cordura pack is not a lot of fun, takes on a lot weight and it starts life already heavier then XPac or Ultra.

Nothing wrong with Cordura, but there are some advantages to alternative fabrics that makes them worth giving a peek.

It was me!

What's the reason?

High abrasion resistance and very durable for its weight. High water resistance and dries fast. There are more durable fabrics, lighter weight fabrics, and more waterproof fabrics. Cordura is a very good balance of all 3 features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
Haha yeah. I was just busting his balls on the smart part! 😜

I’m not going to lie though. I am tired of my heavy pack. I don’t run a day pack, just my normal pack compressed down. When one starts to count the miles and miles a year a pack is worn in day pack mode, finding a few pounds of savings really makes a difference.

The other big issue is selling my kifaru and starting over. I’m not looking forward to spending a bunch of money on a new system.
Just get an EXO K4 and never look back IMO.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’m not going to lie though. I am tired of my heavy pack. I don’t run a day pack, just my normal pack compressed down. When one starts to count the miles and miles a year a pack is worn in day pack mode, finding a few pounds of savings really makes a difference.
For me, the weight isn't the issue, it's the overall encumbrance of the frame size/shape etc for days on end. I'd rather hike out completely empty to get my hauling pack, than carry my hauling pack every mile of every day for days on end. Having said that, I never come out empty my first trip out to get my pack, but I'm also not hauling quarters with my daypack either. It's really rare for me to want to shoot the first bull I have a shot at. So I generally expect to be hunting at least 12+ days before deciding to release an arrow. My comfort and streamlined ease of moving etc are very important to me. My daypack weighs about 3lbs empty and has a very soft almost fleece-like outer material that is quiet, no frame to get in my way, and I hardly even know it's on my back the whole season. It generally weighs 15-17lbs and most of that is water so it gets lighter as the day goes on.

But as far as cordura goes.......I like it. Some of my favorite boots also have it with leather & cordura uppers. Also, simple pack rain covers are cheap, lightweight, and take up very little space.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Ucsdryder Going to a smaller and or simpler cordura bag can save a little weight as well as a different frame. What all is always in your pack, can you drop some weight there instead? How much are you looking to drop? I’m not advocating for sacrificing comfort or performance just giving you some different ideas.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
@Ucsdryder Going to a smaller and or simpler cordura bag can save a little weight as well as a different frame. What all is always in your pack, can you drop some weight there instead? How much are you looking to drop? I’m not advocating for sacrificing comfort or performance just giving you some different ideas.
The nomad is about as small as it gets for cordura. The main issue is loading it big when needed. I can carry 2 quarters but I’ve got straps running all over the place. I’d like a more traditional “bag” without paying the weight penalty. I did a 5 day backpack hunt for my wife’s elk tag this year and I had shit hanging all over the place. 😂

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you need a bag for just hauling sure you can simplify a lot on material choice and also features. Ditch as many zippers and buckles as you can to shed weight, etc.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@pods8 should be able to speak to his experience compared to my view; "cordura" is a diluted name just like Kleenex or Bandaid. It can be bought many different ways, with different interior laminates and exterior treatments. When I was buying and selling it, you absolutely had to get samples before buying because "500/1000d cordura" could end up being a lot of things. Buying from the weaving house direct fixed that issue, but elevated the cost drastically. For those doubting that statement, think about how the 500d that SG uses on most of their packs has a different stiffness (hand) than what Exo uses.
Yes Cordura is a brand. Most folks are thinking 500d and 1000d nylon typically with a polyurethane coating on the back and DWR on the front, its a fairly common commodity as a mil spec fabric and you generally know what you're gonna get at that point. Yes different lots of stuff can have a different initial stiffness.

Marble

WKR
I have the itch for a new pack. I was discussing packs with someone, he’s not necessarily a smart man, but he said “cordura sucks”.

So my question is simple. When talking pack material

Does cordura suck?
The only thing I can imagine they mean by this is the weight of Cordura vs. other materials. As far as toughness, I'm 6 years in to using some of my packs (Kifaru), and they have zero signs of wear. I broke one buckle, no stiching has ripped. They get moved around on me, horses, ATVs and on the back of trucks.

And all Cordura is not created equal. Some of the cheaper versions are not abrasion resistant and are thin.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
The only thing I can imagine they mean by this is the weight of Cordura vs. other materials. As far as toughness, I'm 6 years in to using some of my packs (Kifaru), and they have zero signs of wear. I broke one buckle, no stiching has ripped. They get moved around on me, horses, ATVs and on the back of trucks.

And all Cordura is not created equal. Some of the cheaper versions are not abrasion resistant and are thin.

I don’t think you can argue durability but at what point is it “over” durable. My kifaru setup isn’t bulletproof. I’ve ripped stitching due to excessive weight on a belt, broken buckles, etc. I’m not sure how many animals my setup as packed over the last 5 years, but it’s probably in the 45-50 range so I’m not complaining about it.

Marble

WKR
Haha yeah. I was just busting his balls on the smart part!

The other big issue is selling my kifaru and starting over. I’m not looking forward to spending a bunch of money on a new system.
For me, the weight of the pack isn't and has never been the issue with the pack. Mine was back pain. When I switched to the really stiff frame, great shoulder straps and a waste belt that didn't slip, I've had more time in the field since then.

So if weight is your primary concern...can you lose 3 pounds? I'm just messing with you.....

I wouldn't sell what you like until you know what you end up trying works for you.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don’t think you can argue durability but at what point is it “over” durable. My kifaru setup isn’t bulletproof. I’ve ripped stitching due to excessive weight on a belt, broken buckles, etc. I’m not sure how many animals my setup as packed over the last 5 years, but it’s probably in the 45-50 range so I’m not complaining about it.
What is it YOU want to accomplish, its way to vague of a discussion otherwise. If you need something that doesn't wet out that's one angle, if you are going for lighter that could be a different angle.

As I mentioned before on weight I wouldn't be looking at the fabric as much as the features. Think about it, something like VX21 xpac (that thin brown xpac on some kifaru stuff) is 6oz/sqyd. 500d nylon is 7oz/sqyd. The weight isn't in the fabric generally speaking. Zippers, buckles, etc.

Marble

WKR
I haven't done that many...I'm usually 1-3 a year. I have multiple packs, and each gets its share of use. Normally, I have a horse or 5 with me in Oct, so my pack outs are short.

So far, no stiching has ripped...

TaperPin

WKR
I’m lucky enough to have an industrial sewing supply with surplus mill end fabric scraps (and new). A heavy weave pack cloth can be nylon or polyester, coated or not, in any of dozens of weaves and twill counts way heavier than 1000d. 500d or 1000d nylon are like vanilla and chocolate ice cream - everyone makes and uses them, but it’s as generic as it comes.

If anyone thinks their packs are too noisy just add a thin fleece cover, shaped like a rain cover, or have a few fleece patches sewn into the sides that are causing the noise, or even adding sewn on nylon straps to hold a jacket, or an uncoated pocket or holder breaks up the scratchy sound. Vinyl coated polyester (vcp) is essentially what an industrial tarp or heavy duty dry bag is made of, and is quieter, yet strong as you need, albeit a little heavier. If you want to blow your mind look at your buddy’s “extreme” Carhartt bibs or jackets - these are an uncoated 1000d nylon and is quite soft and quiet with a little wear.

I‘ve had packs of fleece covered heavy polyester and straight pack cloth and don’t notice much difference in sound, at least how I hunt. I have industrial sewing machines and yet never felt the need to sound deaden a pack.