Down mid layer vs expensive outer layer for colder hunts

I can get 800 full power ua down jacket on sale or possible spend big money on Sitka fanatic for $200 more. I have a decent windproof outer layer that is fairly quite. What do y’all recommend. Any experience with under armor down jacket as a mid layer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I went to CO for a mule deer hunt that had a blizzard mid-week with subzero temps for a couple days - I brought a Gander Mtn breathable rain jacket, puffy vest, fleece jacket, long johns, and a sweat shirt or two to go with jeans, synthetic socks and 400 gr boots. Was fine. Had a great time.

The idea of spending $400+ on a jacket is mind numbing to me. If it is a long term investment, that's a little diff but would certainly explore all options.

Lowg08

WKR
I have the under armor alpine ops for my down but I wear them over my base and pants and under my rain shell if needed

OP
B
I have the under armor alpine ops for my down but I wear them over my base and pants and under my rain shell if needed

Do they keep u warm? Any issues? I’m trying to use them as outer layer for elk while glassing and mid layer for whitetail

Lowg08

WKR
Do they keep u warm? Any issues? I’m trying to use them as outer layer for elk while glassing and mid layer for whitetail

No I actually prefer them over every thing I’ve tried. I’ve tried the kelvin pants, Uncompaghre and one of the kuiu. Can’t remember the name. I’ve never gotten cold in them down to 18 stationary in a saddle. They are quiet. Best puffy down pants in my opinion.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
down makes a very crappy mid-layer; a mid-layer is something you'd wear on the move in cool to cold conditions

down makes a great static insulation piece- ie at camp/glassing/breaks/etc

two very different animals

Lowg08

WKR
down makes a very crappy mid-layer; a mid-layer is something you'd wear on the move in cool to cold conditions

down makes a great static insulation piece- ie at camp/glassing/breaks/etc

two very different animals
I only wear down once I settle in. I never wear it while in motion. It’s packed in and packed out.

Lowg08

WKR
exactly- great choice for static insulation, but poor choice for a mid-layer
For sure. I’ve been looking at the new badlands detour with the 40g of primaloft gold in the core area and fleece sleeves and a hood for my mid layer

EdP

WKR
Down is the go to insulation when weight and compressibility are the primary concerns. That points to backpack hunts. For any other application wool, poly fleece, or synthetics are a better choice. I have all of the above and use them as appropriate.

Lowg08

WKR
Down is the go to insulation when weight and compressibility are the primary concerns. That points to backpack hunts. For any other application wool, poly fleece, or synthetics are a better choice. I have all of the above and use them as appropriate.
I’ve been tweaking my set up. I’ve also found it necessary to have the appropriate material for changing situations.

Wrench

WKR
You have to apply some logic to where you use down. If you are wearing a pack, you get no insulation on your back, shoulders or sternum.

If your outer layer is snug, you cripple the insulation properties of the down.
Down is awesome, but it's compressibility is both a blessing and curse.

I run a down pullover by brooks range when it's uber cold....but I don't expect it to work when backpacking.....at least not to potential.

Lowg08

WKR
You have to apply some logic to where you use down. If you are wearing a pack, you get no insulation on your back, shoulders or sternum.

If your outer layer is snug, you cripple the insulation properties of the down.
Down is awesome, but it's compressibility is both a blessing and curse.

I run a down pullover by brooks range when it's uber cold....but I don't expect it to work when backpacking.....at least not to potential.
I always up size the jacket/pants I plan to wear over my down to avoid the compression. I never wear it in the move. I actually strip down to either a base or a base and mid when I’m moving. I will sweat horrible if moving

OP
B
I always up size the jacket/pants I plan to wear over my down to avoid the compression. I never wear it in the move. I actually strip down to either a base or a base and mid when I’m moving. I will sweat horrible if moving

I am on a similar situation/mindset I think. I can put my puffy pant over my base then throw my insulated dwr pants over the down then climb up the tree into my saddle. The down pants can double while glassing for elk

Lowg08

WKR
I am on a similar situation/mindset I think. I can put my puffy pant over my base then throw my insulated dwr pants over the down then climb up the tree into my saddle. The down pants can double while glassing for elk

I actually find it more versatile. I hike long distances in the blue ridge deer hunting. I hunt eastern whitetail with a western twist

OP
B
I actually find it more versatile. I hike long distances in the blue ridge deer hunting. I hunt eastern whitetail with a western twist

Do u wear a puffy jacket as a mid layer too?

Lowg08

WKR
Do u wear a puffy jacket as a mid layer too?

I do not as of now. I will be adding a badlands detour hoodie. 40g of primaloft gold insulation through the chest and back. With fleece sleeves and hoodie. It’s kinda like a puffy but active insulation if I need to move in it. My normal set up is kiln/fuse base Klamath hoodie, brooks down sweater and hard shell. Been having an issue with a good hard shell for bow hunting. Going to try the badlands exo. I have a Sitka goretex rain suite for real rain situation