Dream Sheep Gun

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not too fancy here. Kimber Montana, Lilja barrel modified 84m contour. Talley lightweights with a 3x9 Zeiss. 308 win. It's my current set up but still a virgin. Need to fix that.

I’ll get a Lilja When I shoot out my Montana barrel. I personally never saw the need for a tacticool rifle for sheep hunting, the Kimber has served me well.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can have Outdoorsman in AZ make you custom ring that replaces the colored rings that comes standard with the BT scopes. You can calibrate the ring to your rifle ballistics, MOA, or whatever your preferred method is for distance correction. I think Swarovski can do it for you as well if my memory serves me correctly.
And if the scope is anything like the last Z5 I had it won't track and RTZ will be abysmal. That scope now resides with someone who will never have need for spinning turrets so it works well for that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
This is a wicked looking setup!! I really like that stock, and it’s finish!!
I’m a bit jealous, this build didn’t take you to long to get into your hands it seems? Iv been waiting nearly a year now since ordering my action. Everything’s taken twice as long as it’s suppose to have.
It took 2 months, I was lucky and stumbled upon everything all in stock and just took all the pieces to a smith to put together. But yes I couldn’t be more happier with it! It turned out good for a spur of the moment build hahah and man does it shoot! I did a barrel break in with just cheap hsm 178gr amax ammo and it shoots clover leaf and the jet stream break is unreal it’s like shooting a .243

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
a923fa742a906b7180addea975f83d7b.jpg

I’m not sure what I would build for a Dream Sheep Rifle, as I already have this one:
Rem 600 action - ceracoated
20” custom barrel by Canadian maker Ron Smith
Chambered in 7-08 Ackley
Wildcat fibreglass stock
Talley rings
3-12 LRTSi
7lb 4oz (unloaded)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paradigm carbon stock
Hawkins bottom metal
Defiance anti SA
20” proof sendero
Trigger tech special trigger
Spartan bipod.
pva ultralight jet blast
Topped with a kahles k3-18i in Steiner T series rings
Chambered in .300wsm

That thing is SWEETTT! Did you at any point consider a paradigm barrel? Just order a Gunwerks stock for my 7Saum build and am torn between a 20" Proof Sendero or Doing the 20" Paradigm

madcalfe

WKR
That thing is SWEETTT! Did you at any point consider a paradigm barrel? Just order a Gunwerks stock for my 7Saum build and am torn between a 20" Proof Sendero or Doing the 20" Paradigm
I looked into their barrels, can’t find much reviews on them. There seems to be a lot of their barrels for sale on sniperhide well not a lot but a few. And some reviews were good, some were bad (more of long wait times not shoot ability) I guess they use rock creek blanks then someone else does the rifling and they do the carbon fibre process. There is a guy I know doing a 7saum build with one of their stocks and he’s also trying out their barrel. I just decided to go with proof cause well there proven shooters. But they seem interesting you can cut their carbon barrels to any length. And weight quite a bit less than the other carbon barrel makers

tdot

WKR
Paradigm carbon stock
Hawkins bottom metal
Defiance anti SA
20” proof sendero
Trigger tech special trigger
Spartan bipod.
pva ultralight jet blast
Topped with a kahles k3-18i in Steiner T series rings
Chambered in .300wsm
Thanks for posting about the Paradigm stock. I've been looking for that style of stock in a lightweight construction for a couple years and the best I've found was in the 25-28 ounce range. I just placed an order for the last Paradigm stock at GoBig.... found all the rest of the parts there too. I've had this rifle built in my head for awhile now. My previous build got close, but I couldn't quite get where I wanted with the stock I had. Looks like my dream sheep gun is about to become a reality in record time.

madcalfe

WKR
Thanks for posting about the Paradigm stock. I've been looking for that style of stock in a lightweight construction for a couple years and the best I've found was in the 25-28 ounce range. I just placed an order for the last Paradigm stock at GoBig.... found all the rest of the parts there too. I've had this rifle built in my head for awhile now. My previous build got close, but I couldn't quite get where I wanted with the stock I had. Looks like my dream sheep gun is about to become a reality in record time.
you'll love the stock. I have no complaints with it so far!

what action are you planning on running?
AnTi XM would be a sweet combo.
Scope?

The anti in XM is what ill be running, going to have the stock worked to fit the action as Gwerks only builds for SA or LA at the moment, should

On scope, going back and forth betwen Nightforce NX8 or Leupold VX6

tdot

WKR
Thanks again to @madcalfe for posting info about the Paradigm stock. Here's my newest dream sheep gun, and I think it'll be my last for awhile.

Paradigm Stock
Defiance AntiX SA
Paradigm barrels in 7saum & 300wsm both @22"
Hawkins M5 Hunter DBM bottom metal
(The DBM + 3rd Mag weighs less then 0.5oz more then their Hinged floor plate + Wyatts box + spring/follower)
Triggertech Trigger
PVA Ultralight Muzzle Brake
NXS 2.5-10 or Leupold VX3 HD 2.5-8

Weighed in at 6lb15oz with the 7 saum barrel and NXS. 300wsm barrel is 5 oz heavier. VX3 scope is 8oz lighter, if I develop trust in it, though it may be awhile before that scope makes it on a hunt.20210629_202053.jpg

madcalfe

WKR
Thanks again to @madcalfe for posting info about the Paradigm stock. Here's my newest dream sheep gun, and I think it'll be my last for awhile.

Paradigm Stock
Defiance AntiX SA
(The DBM + 3rd Mag weighs less then 0.5oz more then their Hinged floor plate + Wyatts box + spring/follower)
Triggertech Trigger

Weighed in at 6lb15oz with the 7 saum barrel and NXS. 300wsm barrel is 5 oz heavier. VX3 scope is 8oz lighter, if I develop trust in it, though it may be awhile before that scope makes it on a hunt.View attachment 303114
I’m thinking of switching my snowy mountain bottom metal to thr Hawkins to run those mag instead of the aics ones. How you liking the stock so far!?

Decker9

WKR

Paradigm Stock
Defiance AntiX SA
Triggertech Trigger

Weighed in at 6lb15oz with the 7 saum barrel and NXS. 300wsm barrel is 5 oz heavier. VX3 scope is 8oz lighter, if I develop trust in it, though it may be awhile before that scope makes it on a hunt.View attachment 303114
That turned out awesome! Dialling it in for this season? I’m told my build will be here next week, I can foresee lots of burnt powder in the next few weeks lol.

Weighed in at 6lb15oz with the 7 saum barrel and NXS. 300wsm barrel is 5 oz heavier. VX3 scope is 8oz lighter, if I develop trust in it, though it may be awhile before that scope makes it on a hunt.

Awesome looking setup. At sub 7#, I see little reason to mess with the vx3 for weight savings!

tdot

WKR
I’m thinking of switching my snowy mountain bottom metal to thr Hawkins to run those mag instead of the aics ones. How you liking the stock so far!?

The stock shape/feel is awesome in the Living room tests, should hopefully get out o shoot it next week. Then I'll know for sure.

Not too happy that the rear swivel is stuck in the stock and I can't get it out. Will speak to Paradigm to find out how the laminates are built up in that area before I decide how to remove it.

The Hawkins mag is awesome. Really impressed with it. Had also purchased their Obendorf bottom metal as I figured I'd prefer that for mountain hunts. But the Hawkins mag and DBM is so slick and light that I likely won't swap.

tdot

WKR
That turned out awesome! Dialling it in for this season? I’m told my build will be here next week, I can foresee lots of burnt powder in the next few weeks lol.
Definitely gonna try to have it dialed for this season. Have some Bergers landing tomorrow for break in and load development and then I'll work on a load for some Hammers for hunting season.

My physio gave me the thumbs up to start training for sheep season yesterday. So I have 6 weeks before my hunt is planned to actually train, after being laid up for the last 9 months due to an MVA, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. 1st Hike was this AM and my back didn't go into spasm, so here's hoping I can pull it off.

Hopefully your build lands when it was promised. Good luck on your hunt!