Dream Sheep Gun

Antares

WKR
Perfect! The 130gr. TTSX is pretty sweet out of that rifle as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. I’m not super happy with the groups I’m getting from the 150 TTSX, but I’m also aware that this isn’t the year to be picky. I special ordered some 165 GMX. Not sure when/if they’ll show up. The 130 TTSX is next on my list to try.

BrandonH

FNG
if i could ever put my Wyoming preference points to use, Id just grab my Remington Mountain Rifle stainless in 7-08 topped with a silver Vari XIII 3.5-10 out of the gun safe and be comfortable it would get the job done

idig4au

WKR
Well it’s all about what one has passion about. I would never spend many of thousands on rebuilding or restoring a hot rod as not my thing, but don’t judge those who do. Same goes for customs rifles, or expensive sheep hunts or anything else. Hobbies no matter what they may be can get expensive if it’s your passion. Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed

madcalfe

WKR
Good choice. I never really understood why people build these crazy expensive, fancy high tech rifles to take a 300yd shot at a sheep. To me, a sheep (or any mountain rifle) is a light, compact walking rifle. Most guys I know here in AK just have a tikka or a Kimber and they call it good.
each to their own, I've only ever owned 1 gun at a given time. My current is a full custom build.
There's people that own several different rifles in numerous cartridge's but ultimately you can only shoot 1 at a time. I'd rather have one expensive rifle than 5-10 run of the mill rifles

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
each to their own, I've only ever owned 1 gun at a given time. My current is a full custom build.
There's people that own several different rifles in numerous cartridge's but ultimately you can only shoot 1 at a time. I'd rather have one expensive rifle than 5-10 run of the mill rifles

That just wouldn’t work for me as the guns I use for moose and bear hunting just aren’t guns that I’d want to use for mountain hunts.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if that's all up- I'm very impressed! if not, my Kimber Hunter bare is sub 5 lbs

madcalfe

WKR
if that's all up- I'm very impressed! if not, my Kimber Hunter bare is sub 5 lbs
yea I realize Kimber's are some light guns. I coulda been under the 5lbs mark easy if I went to a Sendero light contour barrel and the hawkins hunter DBM. but my point was id still rather have 1 nice do it all gun than multiple different factory guns.

idig4au

WKR
yea I realize Kimber's are some light guns. I coulda been under the 5lbs mark easy if I went to a Sendero light contour barrel and the hawkins hunter DBM. but my point was id still rather have 1 nice do it all gun than multiple different factory guns.
Sounds like a nice set up! If you don’t mind saying, what are your components?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've had factory rifles that outshot custom builds and were way less finicky. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had factory rifles that outshot custom builds and were way less finicky. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s been my experience as well, not only that but since I got into hand loading, I have been able to make pretty much every factory rifle I’ve owned shoot just as well as any custom I’ve seen.

To each their own though, it all depends on what features you want, if there isn’t a factory rifle with those features, then custom it is. I’ve had great luck with kimbers, I like the CRF, triggers and sticks right out of the box. They check enough boxes for me and I can work up great loads for them.