Driving to AK

My wife and I are thinking of taking the month of July off, and driving to AK for our 30th. Just an idea at this point. I'd love to hear from those in the lower 48 who have done this, where they went, how long they stayed and what their experience was like.

Thanks.

OXN939

WKR
My wife and I are thinking of taking the month of July off, and driving to AK for our 30th. Just an idea at this point. I'd love to hear from those in the lower 48 who have done this, where they went, how long they stayed and what their experience was like.

Thanks.

Think your biggest obstacle would be, as alluded to above, the Canadian border. Still a coin toss whether it'll be open by July or not.

did it 3 times driving back and forth from work and i'll do it again, great trip, camping out ,fishing ,hiking, you can take as long as you want or as short as you want, came and went thru eureka, taking a shotty for protection is easy at border,pay a couple bucks ,sign some papers, kid got chewed up pretty bad in a campground we just showed up to.
get good glass !
we would have people spend a ton of money to get there and not have good glass.
have a great time with someone you love!
my friend works the border and says it will be at least another month for non essential though.

by the way, check out the alaska outdoors supersite, that will definitely get you fired up.
border still closed?, go to bellingham and take the ferry north.party on the upperdeck with the hippies, great fun

johnsd16

WKR
Did it one time from AK to MN in May. Was really cool as it was very quiet that time of year. Saw about a billion black bears. Liard hot springs, Watson lake area and muncho lake park area were highlights. Had a stone sheep ram charge the truck. Lots of creeks to fish here and there for grayling and trout. I’d do it again in a heartbeat and would do May again too but obviously timing for you will be different.

OXN939

WKR
So let's say you're spending a week in AK for the first time. Where you goin' and where you stayin' ?

Anchorage down the Kenai peninsula to Homer is a wild drive. Get to see some of the Chugach sheep territory you always hear about on the way down... just be careful, because it's on the driver's side. Hah. Lots of awesome places to stay on the way down, and can catch a halibut charter day trip out of Homer once you make it.

That's really too broad of a question. Alaska is huge, although our road system is not so much. It depends on what part of the state you want to spend that week in, ie., SE, arctic, central (Fairbanks area), southcentral (Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula), etc. You could cover a fair amount of terrain in a week, but that might require doing a lot more driving.

OP
Newtosavage
That's really too broad of a question. Alaska is huge, although our road system is not so much. It depends on what part of the state you want to spend that week in, ie., SE, arctic, central (Fairbanks area), southcentral (Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula), etc. You could cover a fair amount of terrain in a week, but that might require doing a lot more driving.
I grew up in TX and have crossed the state in a day (17 hours) more times than I can remember. The size of AK doesn't worry me. But I do want to experience AK while we're there. It's not out of the question that we may retire there if we see the right things while we visit. So while it might be a sighseeing trip, it could turn into a scouting trip at the same time.

Reactions: scp
You could easily spend a week in southcentral and pretty much see it all, but you won't really be able to experience it all in that timeframe, if that makes sense. If you're looking to just road trip for a week, I would suggest once you get into mainland Alaska, take the AlCan to Delta Junction then head south to Valdez, once in Valdez, turn around and head back north to the Glenn Hwy (Glennallen), and take a right (west) towards Anchorage. Once in Anc. head south down the Seward Hwy and go to Seward, once you get there, turn around and head back north, then take a left and head south down the Sterling Hwy to Homer. From there, turn around and head back north to Anchorage and continue on to the Parks Hwy. Take a left onto the Parks and continue north to Fairbanks, or only go to Cantwell and take a right onto the Denali Hwy ( it's called a Hwy, but it's actually only paved for about 20 miles in on that side then is gravel for the next 130 miles or so). If you decide to go across the Denali, once you get across, you'll hit the Richardson Hwy, from there you can take a left and go to Fairbanks that way. There are other Hwy's you could check out, but there mostly all gravel roads and can be pretty rough at times and you definitely won't be doing 60mph.

OP
Newtosavage
You could easily spend a week in southcentral and pretty much see it all, but you won't really be able to experience it all in that timeframe, if that makes sense. If you're looking to just road trip for a week, I would suggest once you get into mainland Alaska, take the AlCan to Delta Junction then head south to Valdez, once in Valdez, turn around and head back north to the Glenn Hwy (Glennallen), and take a right (west) towards Anchorage. Once in Anc. head south down the Seward Hwy and go to Seward, once you get there, turn around and head back north, then take a left and head south down the Sterling Hwy to Homer. From there, turn around and head back north to Anchorage and continue on to the Parks Hwy. Take a left onto the Parks and continue north to Fairbanks, or only go to Cantwell and take a right onto the Denali Hwy ( it's called a Hwy, but it's actually only paved for about 20 miles in on that side then is gravel for the next 130 miles or so). If you decide to go across the Denali, once you get across, you'll hit the Richardson Hwy, from there you can take a left and go to Fairbanks that way. There are other Hwy's you could check out, but there mostly all gravel roads and can be pretty rough at times and you definitely won't be doing 60mph.

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions!

So let's say you're spending a week in AK for the first time. Where you goin' and where you stayin' ?
Just off the top of my head?

Deadman Lake- just over the border, free campground, canoeing, fishing- skeeters will eat you alive.

Eat at Fast Eddie's in Tok.

Chena Hot Springs- awesome place! Good hiking trails and campgrounds in area.

Eat at one of the great restaraunts or breweries in Fairbanks.

Denali National Park.

Denali Highway to Brushkana campground- great spot.

Byers Lake.

Talkeetna.

Nancy Lakes.

Hatcher Pass.

Drive through Anchorage as fast as possible!

Girdwood- eat at Chair 5, camp at Crow Creek Mine, hike the trails.

Portage Valley.

Side trip to Hope.

Seward. Hike Caine's Head, Mt. Alice, Exit Glacier, or Lost Lake.

Homer....take fishing charter out of here or Ninilchik.

Drive back thru Anchorage like a bat outta hell.

Lake Louise.

Side trip to McCarthy.

Return from whence ye came....