Drop Camps for Elk- What was you Experience?

bevance

FNG
I’ve read quite a few posts on here asking for drop camp recommendations, but I wanted to pivot and ask what your drop camp experience. And I’m more concerned with how you felt the drop camp was in terms of putting you in a better position to kill an elk. Bonus points if you’ve rented your own stock ( horses, llamas, etc) and packed in your own camp to hunt and have also done a drop camp to compare. Drop camps are something I have kicked around in my head a lot for my dad and myself, so I’d be interested to hear other roksliders experiences. Again, not really focused on outfitter recs but if you had a good experience and want to plug them at the end of the story, wouldn’t mind to hear that. Pictures are welcome as well!

I've done a drop camp twice, once about 20 years ago and once last fall, different outfit each time. Both were great experiences with excellent service and a perfect backcountry camp. First trip was great hunting late season with brutal cold and snow, we killed 2 bulls, three cows and had a blast.

Last fall was a little earlier season, not as much snow and a little warmer. Didn't see an elk or any elk sign the whole trip. Still a great time and looked like good elk county just bad timing I think.

KHNC

WKR
I've done a drop camp twice, once about 20 years ago and once last fall, different outfit each time. Both were great experiences with excellent service and a perfect backcountry camp. First trip was great hunting late season with brutal cold and snow, we killed 2 bulls, three cows and had a blast.

Last fall was a little earlier season, not as much snow and a little warmer. Didn't see an elk or any elk sign the whole trip. Still a great time and looked like good elk county just bad timing I think.
Sounds like Pre-Wolves on the first one. Idaho used to be phenomenal.

FLS

WKR
No drop camp but I have had a guide pack me in with my own gear a few times. I was familiar with area before hand but knew where I wanted was too far in for me to get an elk out and there was no motorized access.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I went on one and they rode and packed us in, dropped us off and left us for 10 days in some really remote country. When I realized the country required horses all the time to get around more effectively, I bought my own horses after that trip and haven't looked back. But if you want to get into some tough country and don't have the means of your own stock, I recommend them. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So here’s my take
Drop camp
Pros- an outfitter should be giving you info on the area and where animals are, which helps from having to make on foot scouting trips
- you’re not putting wear and tear on your personal camping gear or hauling it cross country
- packed in on horses and left saving ur legs and time getting there
- ur not taking care of horses or stock the entire time, taking away from your hunt
- outfitter should be in to pack out ur harvested game
- you don’t have to take care of the stock year round/ or the duration of ur hunt
Cons
- ur basically stuck in the camp the whole time
- may not have a choice of the camp ur put in
- a bad outfitter will ruin it for you with every other hunt you want to do just cause it leaves a bad taste in ur mouth

Now here’s my deal with renting stock, mainly horses/mules if you have no idea what ur doing or how to pack don’t do it, I’ve seen way to many accidents from people not ever packing and YouTubing it. If ur not willing to put the animals before ur hunt, don’t do it, I see stock tangled tied to trees, no water no feed, injured etc and hunters are no where to be found, they finally returned well after dark to a live animal and an ass chewing cause I took care of it for them for the animals sake. It’s not throwing ur gear in bags and putting it on the animal and going up or down the trail. Horses/mules are a commitment especially on the mountain, you better get up 2-3 hours earlier than you plan to leave camp, to water/feed and check horses, and 2-3 hours after you get back to camp to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpb21

FNG
Do your research for sure, have heard of some great experiences and some that make me cringe. Dont think just because youre going in 20 miles on horses means there will be game all around. Be honest with the outfit and yourself about your expectations.

For example if they are dropping you at 5000' at a set up camp but the elk summer at 8000' and its an October hunt but theres no snow in October, youre probably not gonna have a great experience even if they've killed elk in October before.

Biggest negative would be that, if youre in there that far and dont have the ability to really move on your own, you are locked in.

cnelk

WKR
I did an archery elk drop camp with a couple buddies once.

We used one of the guy’s horses and went 5-6 miles into a Wyoming wilderness and then his wife took the horses back home.

We stayed a week. Then his wife rode back in with the horses and we hiked out.

Saw a few elk, saw a lot of hunters. Got snowed on, got rained on.
It wasn’t the best time had but not a bad time had.

Not sure if I’d do it again. If I did, it won’t be in that particular wilderness.

IMG_1078.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m following along to see what others say. I’ve never drop camp hunted but to me it’s hard to picture an outfit is going to put me in a drop camp in their prime spots if they are also guiding higher paying customers my opinion with nothing to back it up. What do you guys think?

Maverick1

WKR
I’m following along to see what others say. I’ve never drop camp hunted but to me it’s hard to picture an outfit is going to put me in a drop camp in their prime spots if they are also guiding higher paying customers my opinion with nothing to back it up. What do you guys think?

Drop camps can just drop people off in the same place, week after week, season after season. Nothing to stop them from doing so; not saying they all do this, but some might. Might not be the best for their business year after year, season after season in getting repeat customers though. If you have a less than desirable hunt (however you may define that) - will there be a doubt in your mind, that little voice asking the question "How many people were here the week before me? How many people are going to be here the week after me?"

Take this with a grain of salt, the year we had success none of the other drop camps or guided hunters killed anything at all. It's still hunting and it doesn't matter if you're DIY, drop camp, guided ect, If you're in the right place at the right time doing the right things success may come your way or it may not.

Laramie

WKR
The only way I would do a drop camp is if I scouted and researched the area personally and then paid the outfitter to pack everything in and out. I wouldn't risk being placed in a questionable area sight unseen.

You are correct.

Well depends on the outfitter, myself I actually usually book up drop camps first then get a guided hunt. Ask the outfitter how many drop camps they run vs guided. Yes probably will guide their best camp, but someone like me I hunt the camp that fits my clients abilities the best. Might have my best camp
Open cause the clients wouldn’t be able to handle it.

TA2510

FNG
I have been on several drop camp hunts. Went 5 years in a row with 2 buddy's and we killed 14 elk over those 5 years. We actually did better than the guided camp 3 of the 5 years. Our success got out with other's around town and our last two years up there we had another outfitter come in on us with his hunters. I went with a different outfitter on a drop camp for a couple years with my daughters, first trip my oldest daughter got sick opening day and we had to pack out. On that trip we saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 elk from Thursday-Sunday before we packed out. Last year with my youngest daughter at a different camp from where I took my oldest daughter we only saw 1 elk and could not get close enough for a shot. With all that said, drop camps have been good to me since I don't have my own horses or camp. I do have dreams of having my on stock and camp to do my own hunts but until then I really enjoy drop camps.

KHNC

WKR

Thats ALWAYS been my take on it. I did a hunt in 2005 in Idaho with Boulder Creek Outfitters. We flew into Fish Lake airstrip out of Orifino. Took horse 4.5 hours to his camp. Had a successful hunt and were into elk daily. (Before the wolves killed or ran out most of the elk). That outfitters drop camps were right on the side of the airstrip. Those guys were left to fend for themselves with few elk around. Group after group after group cycled thru those drop camps all season , year after year.

Thats ALWAYS been my take on it. I did a hunt in 2005 in Idaho with Boulder Creek Outfitters. We flew into Fish Lake airstrip out of Orifino. Took horse 4.5 hours to his camp. Had a successful hunt and were into elk daily. (Before the wolves killed or ran out most of the elk). That outfitters drop camps were right on the side of the airstrip. Those guys were left to fend for themselves with few elk around. Group after group after group cycled thru those drop camps all season , year after year.

Like I said I’ve never done a drop camp just because of stories like this. Don’t get me wrong I’m sure some great outfits take care of the drop camp guys but it makes me gun shy not personally knowing the reputation I get it is hunting and you can’t control everything

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Did a drop camp for a 2nd rifle limited unit in CO. Original plan was for packer to drop us off with our own gear. Had a place picked out between two drainages that I wanted to be and they agreed they could get us there.

Well, he ended up not having any guided clients in the unit for 2nd season and had a camp sitting empty. There was a big storm coming and he ended up packing us into his fully set up camp for same price he had agreed to for us using our own gear. Wanted us to help keep the tents from collapsing with all the snow that was in the forecast for the next couple days.

We didn’t see many elk the first few days due to storms, but we lived like kings in the camp! Once the storm broke, we managed to get my buddy his first bull. But there just wasn’t a lot of sign still in the drainage we were in. So we called and had them come pick us up a couple days early. They even went 1.5 miles further in to pick up the bull we had down.

Overall was a good time and successful hunt. It was different style than I am used to though and felt a little closterphobic with only one drainage really to hunt. We climbed up to one of the ridge tops and could see several herds a few drainages away. So was kind of bummed to not be as mobile as I’m used to on an elk hunt.

I would do it again if the situation was right. We learned a lot on that trip regarding drop camps/outfitters, and what questions to ask and how to set ourselves up for success. It’s not the type of trip I want all the time, but I can see where it has its merits, especially with regards to packing the meat back out.