Drop the 1,500 ft.lbs myth

bradyhunt

FNG
GREAT!!!

The cartridge debate is finally over. It has been settled, once and for all.

On to the next topic.
I pray that this is the case and I dont have to see the constant droning cartridge debate that lives in this forum. All those threads should be moved to their own forum.

Seasick

FNG
interesting video. I'm new and looking to get into hunting. Any thoughts on a 357 Lever for Deer inside 150?

TaperPin

WKR
I absolutely love all the elk hunters talking about how easy elk are to kill standing still broadside, as if elk are all right out of a hunting video. Sedentary elk make great videos because it’s many many times harder to film 5 seconds of an elk hauling ass across an opening, or over a saddle. *chuckle*

TaperPin

WKR
Im confused, are you saying people should take running shots at elk?
Oh gosh no - it’s much better to pass up all elk that aren’t calmly standing broadside so you can digiscope the kill shot. I just find it entertaining that western hunting has turned into the search for calm slow targets. Lol

KenLee

WKR
Oh gosh no - it’s much better to pass up all elk that aren’t calmly standing broadside so you can digiscope the kill shot. I just find it entertaining that western hunting has turned into the search for calm slow targets. Lol
Next you are gonna say every man should pursue wild women. Heck with that! I don't want the competition for them.

OP
100 others
I absolutely love all the elk hunters talking about how easy elk are to kill standing still broadside, as if elk are all right out of a hunting video. Sedentary elk make great videos because it’s many many times harder to film 5 seconds of an elk hauling ass across an opening, or over a saddle. *chuckle*

I just find it entertaining that western hunting has turned into the search for calm slow targets. Lo
Isn’t the goal to take deliberate and ethical shots? Or are you more of a “magazine capacity over ballistics” kinda guy?

For me it's velocity and understanding my bullet. I like to keep my impact velocity well above the stated minimums.

mattg65

FNG
All the comments about how velocity is important but energy isn’t make no sense. The two are so closely related you can’t change one without changing the other. For a given projectile if you alter velocity you also alter its energy and vice versa.
As far as saying a projectile requires a certain velocity to expand/upset/fragment, you could just as accurately say it requires a certain amount of energy to expand/upset/fragment. A required amount of energy would possibly even be a more accurate statement as it’s the energy resultant from the mass and velocity of the projectile that’s actually doing the work of expanding the projectile.

KenLee

WKR
All the comments about how velocity is important but energy isn’t make no sense. The two are so closely related you can’t change one without changing the other. For a given projectile if you alter velocity you also alter its energy and vice versa.
As far as saying a projectile requires a certain velocity to expand/upset/fragment, you could just as accurately say it requires a certain amount of energy to expand/upset/fragment. A required amount of energy would possibly even be a more accurate statement as it’s the energy resultant from the mass and velocity of the projectile that’s actually doing the work of expanding the projectile.
Energy needed to expand would be bullet weight dependent and a complete pain to state for a product line.

mattg65

FNG
Energy needed to expand would be bullet weight dependent and a complete pain to state for a product line.
I didn’t mean to imply manufacturers should state it.
I’m saying that people who try to argue that velocity is important while arguing that energy is not are arguing against themselves because you don’t get one without the other.

A required amount of energy would possibly even be a more accurate statement as it’s the energy resultant from the mass and velocity of the projectile that’s actually doing the work of expanding the projectile.
Does an object have energy if it isn’t moving? Seems velocity would need to be present in order for energy to be present so in my mind velocity is more relevant than energy since energy is produced by a mass in motion.

I’m no physics expert by any means but I did have to take it twice in high school….

OP
100 others
*for a given projectile.
You said it yourself. The FPS minimum is usually about the same throughout different calibers of the same model bullet. The FPE will vary drastically at the same velocity throughout those weights. It’s just not a reliable number to base performance when everything is tested to a velocity standard for bullet performance.

mattg65

FNG
Does an object have energy if it isn’t moving? Seems velocity would need to be present in order for energy to be present so in my mind velocity is more relevant than energy since energy is produced by a mass in motion.

I’m no physics expert by any means but I did have to take it twice in high school….
You’re proving my point that the two are so closely related you can’t say one is important and one isn’t

OP
100 others
You’re proving my point that the two are so closely related you can’t say one is important and one isn’t
They are only related in the fact that velocity is a part of the equation to generate an energy number.