Early season archery deer. Solo or Group?

Preferred group size.

• Solo

Votes: 35 59.3%

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 2-3

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • 3+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t see this topic discussed much on forums. I know elk hunters have a preference of hunting in groups of at least 2 but a lot of guys like 3-4 in a camp. This pretty much holds true for all times of year.

So when it comes to deer, particularly the early seasons what’s the verdict? Is solo the way to go? What’s some pros or cons you have found relating to both sides of the coin (I have my thoughts about it). Ultimately does solo or a group have an impact on hunt success in your opinion?

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy hunting solo rather than with anyone else. Not real sure why I guess. Probably the solitude and checking out of society for a week.

If I do hunt with someone else, it’s usually direct family wife, daughter or dad.

If you go with anyone, you’d better make sure you get along with them really well. A week on the mountain will bring out personality traits you don’t normally see in people.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Best setup I have found is one guy with a tag and a buddy who enjoys tagging along. One shooter, no questions, one person to make hard decisions and retain all the blame when things dont work out.
💯

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy hunting solo rather than with anyone else. Not real sure why I guess. Probably the solitude and checking out of society for a week.

If I do hunt with someone else, it’s usually direct family wife, daughter or dad.

If you go with anyone, you’d better make sure you get along with them really well. A week on the mountain will bring out personality traits you don’t normally see in people.
Couldn’t have said that last part better. You can learn a lot about someone this way. Good or bad!!!

Fatcamp

WKR
Best setup I have found is one guy with a tag and a buddy who enjoys tagging along. One shooter, no questions, one person to make hard decisions and retain all the blame when things dont work out.

I like the idea of someone at camp who can bet a vehicle closer if I get bit by a snake, but I'm the hunter. My wife and kids like this arrangement.

Wheels

WKR
Spent the entire month of September this last year hunting solo, I’m good with being alone but sure could have used another person to guide me in on some stalks. Had several instances where I crawled right past the bucks thinking they were further up and a couple when they fed off while I was trying to get in range and never knew it. Granted, I was hunting sage country where everything looks the same and getting a landmark is very difficult.

Agreed. These are also the times “when you think you know someone”.. boy have I been fooled.

Archery anything 100% solo. Only way to get to hunt to your full potential. Why have someone along that’s going to slow you down or talk you out of going where you need to go.

If that’s what happens when you have a hunting partner…..you have the wrong hunting partner.
Exactly my point. Most aren’t going to do anything other than slow me down or alter my plans in some way. I see zero benefit to that other than camaraderie. But i’m out there to kill not bond.