Early season archery deer. Solo or Group?

Preferred group size.

• Solo

Votes: 35 59.3%

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 2-3

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • 3+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like this discussion. I have a couple of great hunting partners but I usually only deer hunt with one at a time. The spotter sits back and can help flag in or tell the stalker when they've screwed the pooch.
I think the important thing is just having the right expectation for what you're doing and designating the shooter somehow. If it's not a spot I've found, I assume I am the second-choice shooter. If it is a spot I've found, we'll talk about it first - either designate a shooter or say whoever gets the spot gets first right of refusal. It just varies hunt to hunt.

The one time I rolled with 3 people, my good buddy and I stalked in on a herd of 8 bucks and nearly had a double. His buck got up and didn't give him a shot before disappearing over the ridge. Then, my buck got up a few hours later and we all packed him out that night. Our third buddy (who had stalked the day before) watched it all go down from across the canyon. It's one of my favorite deer hunting memories yet.

At the end of the day, though, if I'm on a bigger adventure hunt with a limited time frame, I like being solo. Sometimes it's just what you need to clear your mind and mess up stalks the way you want to mess them up. So I cast my vote for solo.

Lytro

WKR
I prefer hunting solo. If I'm not solo, I'd rather just tag along with my wife or a buddy to help them fill their tag and not have to carry a bow or rifle. Two people hunting together with the same tags never really made sense to me.

bohntr

WKR
I guess I define hunting solo differently. Solo to me means nobody else came with you on the hunt.

Never had a hunting partner actually hunt ‘with me’ step for step. Usually I’m hunting a basin or area that is different from where they’re at……meet back at camp at dark.

DDH00

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
This is a great topic to discuss. The group I hunt with all prefer to have at least 2 people especially if you are doing mainly spot and stalk. It is extremely helpful during spot and stalk to have another perosn helping guide you into a good position to get a shot off.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Some great insight. Seems like everyone has a preference one way or the other.

For everyone who hunts in complete solitude or that may have a significant other at home how does/how did this impact you? If I was a betting man I would say most significant others are hesitant at first, maybe entirely against it. Some on the other hand may not care. Im sure that’s not always an easy conversation.

Any extra precautions you make sure to take? Obviously with satellite communication it’s easier to stay in touch and adds a little piece of mind but outside of that how do you maybe balance it.

Fuenstock

FNG
I mainly hunt alone on extended hunts or short evening hunts, but I live where I hunt so help or friends are never to far away if I need help packing. If I get an animal down I have a short list of people willing to help pack I can contact. I also have a Garmin inreach which gives the wife and me some peace of mind.

Taudisio

WKR
I do both and don’t have a preference. Both have pluses and minuses. The guys who absolutely hate hunting with others, have had bad experiences with with someone on a different training or skill level. If you’re solo, it’s more work. Not a bad thing. I guess each individual can write out a pro/con list for each hunt and each person that may be in the group vs going solo. So many variables that are specific to every single person.

For everyone who hunts in complete solitude or that may have a significant other at home how does/how did this impact you? If I was a betting man I would say most significant others are hesitant at first, maybe entirely against it. Some on the other hand may not care. Im sure that’s not always an easy conversation.

Any extra precautions you make sure to take? Obviously with satellite communication it’s easier to stay in touch and adds a little piece of mind but outside of that how do you maybe balance it.
I have satellite communication and touch base every evening and that's a good way to alleviate any worries from their end.

It's kind of been baked into our relationship from the start, though, so probably harder to start doing solo than to have started doing it from the get-go with someone. I try to be a little safer and not spend too much time on cliffs, for example, by myself, but I won't say that always occurs. I think starting with a scouting trip or just simple over-nighters by yourself is as good a way to get your spouse confident in your abilities as it is for you to practice up a bit.

Edit: I HAVE gotten myself in a few pickles by making poor water choices. So add that to your list of things to not be dumb about while solo.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Solo is good for success but group is good for good old deer camp fun/memories. Solo is awesome but it's also good to be part of family/community.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider

My wife’s a pretty understanding woman and she knows it’s something that I throughly enjoy and would miss terribly if I didn’t get to go. I know she worries and I tend to leave out some of the events that have happened over the years to keep her mind at ease. I use a Zoleo now and that really helps her with piece of mind, being able to check in daily and even text back and forth if something needs addressed definitely helps.

Whatever you do, don’t show her and YouTube videos of bear attacks, lion encounters or dudes falling off of slippery cliffs a few weeks before you leave.

Taudisio

WKR

Been going solo well before I met my wife so she had an understanding going into the relationship. I let her know where I’ll be parking and the absolute latest I will be back to cell service. She expects a phone call every evening if I have service where I’m camping. I obviously pick my camping spots accordingly 😆

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I do both and don’t have a preference. Both have pluses and minuses. The guys who absolutely hate hunting with others, have had bad experiences with with someone on a different training or skill level. If you’re solo, it’s more work. Not a bad thing. I guess each individual can write out a pro/con list for each hunt and each person that may be in the group vs going solo. So many variables that are specific to every single person.
although I voted "solo" as that's how I usually end up, I agree with this. Fun to hunt with a buddy

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I voted solo because I haven’t found someone with a tag or willing to go that won’t shit out on the hike in.

But I think the most lethal would be a 2 man crew for flagging in, to handle some of the work and also fun hunting and sharing and making memories with a buddy.

But that being said I would rather go solo then bring and have to deal with a guy who is going to be a casualty.

I have often scouted and hunted solo (and usually end up that way when we actually get on the mountain), but as I age, I prefer to share the experience with any of my family members who can join me … for the following reasons:

Relationships & memories (my remaining days in the remote backcountry are numbered)
Help with logistics and packing in/out
Having good company to combat boredom
Safety, if something were to go wrong

Gratefully, most of my family members share the same hunting philosophy, approach, and skill level.

I like solo but missed the camaraderie last year while my brother was in neighboring unit , different tag. This year we will camp and hunt same unit, he with bull elk tag and me buck tag. I hope he gets one as I have already shot a couple big bucks.

This is mz hunting but similar to archery in many ways - except for the stalking in for shot! We hunt where all the shots opportunities are close anyway. 17 to 50 yds over the last 5 years

I enjoy going with a buddy but I have to change my mentality. I have two buddies I hunt with. We shall call this on group A- One buddy has a tag and we have a camera man with us (not counting him). Group B- My other buddy it would be just the two of us. With A I have to learn to compromise and sometimes not say what I am thinking. We both get a strong head and know when to just walk in silence. When we get into elk it’s a ton of fun but he doesn’t believe that I know what I am talking about a lot of the times. I try to teach more than tell. We make it work but it can be taxing and make you no enjoy the trip at sometimes. B- great guy but doesn’t like to hike in as much as I do so I find spots that are not as far in. Sometimes we butt heads with that. I enjoy hunting with both but this year I will be going by myself. I don’t have to worry about timing of vacation or waiting for guys to leave. I am doing this for both elk and deer. Elk is going to be tough.