Elk .243 or 25-06

Zappaman

WKR
I think a well versed hunter with a small caliber gun is less of an issue than a novice who's over confident because they are using the latest in vogue magnum.
And... it turns out most hunters fall into the middle of the bell curve here. But it's their tag (and money) and so they will do what they want to no matter what I think is or isn't worth pursuing. AND... I LOVE buying guns from hunters who "lose interest" in the sport (too).

Some people just need to tinker and that's ok... as long as they finish the hunt and do it ethically all these new gun companies get to make money selling those vogue magnums (and multi-$k scopes).

I just wish I started a gun or scope company 10 years back, so I could sell it to Vista and retire (back to) using my old Weaver and Nikon scopes on my Savage and Vanguard medium caliber rifles ;)

FLS

WKR
Unless you have a custom barreled 25-06 you probably won’t be able to stabilize the high BC .257 bullets. Your factory rifles are all 1-10 twist. The 115 Berger is the highest BC bullet I can stabilize out of mine 24” 1-10” Bartlein. IMO the 120 Swift A Frame is the premium big game bullet in a 10 twist 25-06. Partition and Grand slams are a close second.

I wouldn't even leave the truck if my hunter or my partner showed up with a .223 on an elk hunting trip. It's just ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
would you help him pack when he came back later with a load of meat? if so, you sound like the perfect hunting partner... wait in the pickup until meat hits the ground!

would you help him pack when he came back later with a load of meat?
You mean after he’s done helping search in the dark all night and the next morning? Lol

I’m not procrastinating. I’ve been there to witness what an elk does when shot with a .243. And yes it was a good shot. She didn’t go to far before bedding down but sitting head up and alert. If I didn’t see the shot I wouldn’t have known there was one. A head shot at 65 yards finished the job. Not pretty.

BuzzH

WKR
These 3 elk were all shot with a .243/6mm...only problem was having to pack yet another dead elk.

My nephews first elk hunting season before last...368 yards, .243 with a 100 grain nosler solid base. One shot, great blood trail.

IMG_20201118_131740132.jpg

IMG_20201118_140539876_BURST001_COMP.jpg

One I shot a couple years back, 120 yards 95 grain ballistic tip, Ruger M77 6mm, went maybe 50 yards after a lung shot:

IMG952463.jpg

Last fall, 194 yards 90 grain accubond, Ruger M77 6mm took maybe 5 steps, one shot in the lungs, done deal:

21407.jpeg

I've shot a few others when I ran into elk hunting with a .243 and 6mm both, all those were with nosler partitions of the 100 grain variety. Never had a problem killing elk with anything I've shot them with from .243-.338 and a bunch in between.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
My friends wife has used a .243 most of her life and has taken elk, moose, and caribou with it. Picking the bullet that will do what you want for your preferred placement is a huge part of success.

I won't hunt elk with a 223 if I have options, but I can tell you a 25-06 works fine. Different situations make for different preferences. Most of my elk hunting is a close up dark timber proposition, and I've been really happy with a 250gr bonded bullet for most of my hunting. However, there have been times when I have used lighter faster flatter shooting and it's also worked. Pick the right bullets, the rest doesn't matter as much.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I think a well versed hunter with a small caliber gun is less of an issue than a novice who's over confident because they are using the latest in vogue magnum.
Couldn’t agree more! Used to sight in my 243 every year with my neighbors private hunting club buddies. Most everyone had “macho” guns: 300 win mag, 300wsm, 30-06, ect. Most shot their guns a couple times a year and it showed as they struggled to get groups at 100 yards and couldn’t consistently hit the 300 yard gong… why? Bc they were all scared as hell of their gun kicking their asses.

Competent hunter who has put a lot of practice rounds down range and is comfortable make a good accurate shot trumps anyone with poor shot placement hoping that the gun will make up for it. Not to mention the meat loss that a lot of magnums can cause.

My old timer hunting mentor told me story after story of game they killed all over the country with 243 back in the 70s and 80s. He always said it’d kill almost any NA big game with the right load and accurate shot. His other favorite caliber 270… fan of fast, flat, accurate

tracker12

WKR
I have seen numerous elk taken with these. I already limit my shots to 300 yards and home some neck/shoulder issues. Thinking about retiring my .270/muzzle brake and carry a 25-06 or .243. Anyone else have experience with these rounds?
When your hunting elk you will most likely be shooting one shot. Use a break install a good recoil pad and hunt with a gun meant for elk.

When your hunting elk you will most likely be shooting one shot. Use a break install a good recoil pad and hunt with a gun meant for elk.
...and if you don't have good shooting form/mechanics, find somebody that can teach you. I can't believe guys on here are concerned about recoil from the .30 calibers mentioned- 06, WM, etc... My 14 and 16 year old daughters weigh 130-140 pounds and can accuratley shoot my .308, .35 Whelen, 06, and muzzleloader without flinching. There's nothing "macho" about these guns at all. If you're worried about flinching or getting scope bit, practice your ass off with a .22, hone your mechanics, and then get a scope with generous eye relief for your hunting rifle.

Amen!

I can’t understand why anyone would go through so much research and trouble to try to use the smallest gun that will “get the job done”. Just because the elk will eventually die doesn’t make it the right tool for the job.

I’d like to replace the word elk with the word grizzly bear and see what they decide to use when it’s their life on the line. Yes you can use a butter knife to take a screw out. Yes you can use vice grips if you don’t have a wrench that fits. But any grown man knows that there’s a proper tool for every job and you’ll do yourself a favor by using it.

I have pictures of cows shot with pea shooters. The stories aren’t pretty and the pictures are meaningless when it comes to the facts and proving a point. How can a guy say this little gun should do just fine on a bull elk and tomorrow talk about how darn tough a whitetail deer is?

Usually it’s the new elk hunters considering a new rifle for their new sport. Hunters who had to give up looking for an elk usually see things differently.

Amen!

I can’t understand why anyone would go through so much research and trouble to try to use the smallest gun that will “get the job done”. Just because the elk will eventually die doesn’t make it the right tool for the job.

I’d like to replace the word elk with the word grizzly bear and see what they decide to use when it’s their life on the line. Yes you can use a butter knife to take a screw out. Yes you can use vice grips if you don’t have a wrench that fits. But any grown man knows that there’s a proper tool for every job and you’ll do yourself a favor by using it.

I have pictures of cows shot with pea shooters. The stories aren’t pretty and the pictures are meaningless when it comes to the facts and proving a point. How can a guy say this little gun should do just fine on a bull elk and tomorrow talk about how darn tough a whitetail deer is?

Usually it’s the new elk hunters considering a new rifle for their new sport. Hunters who had to give up looking for an elk usually see things differently.
^^^

…and especially for NRs coming out west that aren’t used to a lot of long range shooting to begin with…. “Adequate” is not the same as ideal, and if you’re spending the money to hunt elk anyways bring more than enough gun in case you get an opportunity.

I have to agree... unless he pulls out his 500 yard target with 10x hits all over it with his $4,000 223 "long barrel" hunting rifle; AND the wind isn't blowing-- pretty rare possibility, eh? ;)

But some guys just like to buy gear and push their limits (and luck)... I'm not one of those guys either.
You're right about that.

Nobody who claims they can cleanly take elk with a .223 at longer ranges would tell you they choose it because larger calibers aren't as effective. It's a stupid game to play IMO.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You're right about that.

Nobody who claims they can cleanly take elk with a .223 at longer ranges would tell you they choose it because larger calibers aren't as effective. It's a stupid game to play IMO.

Define “more effective” please.

crossone

FNG
I have a recurring nightmare where I shoot at a cow in a big herd of elk and they all gather together. I can't tell which one I shot at, so I have to sit and watch as they walk or run out of site. Did I hit it? Did I wound it? How am I ever going to figure out which elk I shot if I did wound it and am able to catch up to them? If there is snow, that will help but a weak blood trail can be hard to follow, especially in a big herd. If she's hit hard, will she slip away from the herd and go lay down and die? Will I be able to find her if she does?

If you play the game long enough, you will live this. It might not bother some people, but I really bothers me. I load up every time with the intention of killing an elk as quickly as possible. My choices are my own, but I've proven to myself that I'm carrying enough gun with a suitable bullet to take an elk down fast. Maybe not always instantly, but fast.

I think that's important.

Zappaman

WKR
I’ll bite…. “Effective“... at longer range with marginal shots, made by hunters without the experience or means to own (and thoroughly understand) the “specialized“ equipment required to execute a very well calculated shot with high confidence.

And I again have no issue with how people chose to hunt. The poster with the large family suggesting his (many) children could use 223s vs. non-existent large calibers was the reason for my first post.

I wasn’t saying don’t do it, or that it was a bad idea…. but I WAS giving him some tips for considering doing this with his young hunters and managing that process if he chose to. I was suggesting “limits” be both understood and put in place. The last thing I’d want to see is a gut shot elk with the “red dot” dad said a kid could use… at 200 yards.

I wanted “dad” to know it’s not that easy as HE also may be thinking at first… but within a “set” range (limit) the 223 kills anything. My goal was to explain the whole “deal” to him and remember: you sometimes have to tell younger folks there are limits. That’s what parenting is and was trying to help with “arming” him with information.

Last edited: