Elk hunting rifle optics and accessories advice needed

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys been pretty busy the past few months and haven't had the time to post anything. So I recently bought my dad a Kimber Hunter Pro in 308 Win with a 22 inch barrel from Cabelas in Octane camo. It is 5 lbs 9 oz out of the box. It has a Kimber 84m stainless steel action. I am going to be getting him a leupold VX6-Hd 3-18x44mm scope. He has used duplex scopes his entire life so I was thinking about getting him the firedot duplex with the Custom dial system. Or should I get him the Boone and Crockett BDC and can also use the CDS in conjunction with the Boone and crocket reticle. Also what scope rings would you guys recommend. I was thinking talley or Warne in medium height. Also should I put a bipod on his rifle. We want to keep it as light as possible but want to be able to take longer range shots. We are both taking a long range hunting shooting class in Nevada in 2 weeks from a guy my dad knows so we're in a bit of a hurry to get his rifle ready. We are getting him a new rifle for our 10 day Wyoming elk hunt next year. He had a heart surgery recently and his old 300 R.E.M. Ultra mag is just to heavy at over 10 lbs. any tips on boots would also be appreciated and horseback hunting gear. We will also be taking MOA dials to to shooting course and dope cards.

Rings and mounts are personal. But, I'd use a Talley or Warne two piece set or, a dead nuts one piece. Medium height should work. I'd carry sticks instead of bipod because after the scope is added, a bipod is going to put you close to or over 9 pounds.

Fitzwho

WKR
I use Talley. If I was going to upgrade from there I would go with Iota one piece rings.

There are some lightweight bipods (Javelin, etc).

I like the warne mountain rings. Mediums are 3.9oz in 1inch. I also really like the Swarovski Z5. Imo Swarovski glass is a nice upgrade but pricey. Bipod is great to have I use the atlas and throw it in pack or pocket while hiking. It detached really easily so if you are concerned about weight on the gun that is my suggestion if you have a rail.

WKR
I put a swaro z3 with the 42mm bell on on my kimber hunter. I tried the talley one piece lows but the bell was touching the barrel. The talley mediums worked just fine with the 42 bell.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like bipods are not necessary. How many situations can you visualize needing a bipod and having time to deploy it, could you just lay your pack in front of you and shoot off that, or your bino harness if you need to get lower? I’d say practice shooting off your pack in the prone. Get a shooting sling like the Wilderness Langlois-Rhodesian sling for sitting and kneeling stability.

LaGriz

WKR
cambo0420,
On a sub-6# rifle I would want to put a fairly lightweight scope. I too like the Swarovski 3X10X42 scope at or near 12 oz. The VX-6 might be better for dialing but will have a weight penalty. Any 2X10 or 2.5X10 or the VX-6 2X12X42 if your Dad really has to dial for long range. Sounds like you know what you want already. Should be a great rig in either case.

If its going to be cold have your dad get some pack boots. Remember to have the stirrups fitted to his boots. For safety he must be able to kick out of them if needed.

I'm envious of this trip you planned with your dad. Best of luck!
LaGriz

I don't think you need to go that large for a scope. If he is shooting a .308, long range shots aren't really much of an option. Once you get over 500 yards or so, there isn't a whole lot of energy left in a .308. With that being said, I'd focus more on a 4-12 setup. As mentioned, that will also be lighter. The custom CDS dials would be a good option since any dialing will have to happen fairly quick at those ranges.

I agree on not using a bipod. The added weight doesn't help when hiking through the mountains. And I think you'll find that the opportunities to use a bipod for a shot are few and far between in the mountains.

Warne and Talley rings will work great.

I like the weight of the gun but as someone mentioned a 308 with a 22" barrel would surely be limited range wise. Consider a zeiss conqest something like a 3-15X42 with the rapid Z reticle. Low Talley lightweight rings should work and will keep the scope low to the rifle for good eye allignment. If you plan to stay with that gun and if you reload consider buying some 152 gn hammer hunter bullets as you can load them to a higher velocity than standard lead core bullets,

LightFoot

WKR
I like the weight of the gun but as someone mentioned a 308 with a 22" barrel would surely be limited range wise. Consider a zeiss conqest something like a 3-15X42 with the rapid Z reticle. Low Talley lightweight rings should work and will keep the scope low to the rifle for good eye allignment. If you plan to stay with that gun and if you reload consider buying some 152 gn hammer hunter bullets as you can load them to a higher velocity than standard lead core bullets,
What is the range limitation of the 22" barrel?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Simply put, a shorter barrel creates less speed than a longer barrel. A .308 already doesn't have a ton of speed and energy, even with a 24" barrel. A 22" barrel slows it down even more. Not anything too significant, but either way you aren't going to be taking extremely long shots with that setup.

Generally speaking you loose approx 25 fps per inch. It might be slightly less than that with a 308 win. So a 26" barrel would net you maybe a max of 100 fps more velocity. I'm thinking 4-500 yards max for Elk sized game in 308. Sure it will shoot paper farther. A 30-06 would be a better choice. Or a 280AI would get you to 600 with the right bullet and they don't kick a lot. 7mm rem mag is a little hotter than the AI., so could do 6-800 yards. The browning x bolts aren't real heavy even in a 26" model.

Hhardrockminer

Lil-Rokslider
Just my .02 but some guides in Wy., Mont. and Colo. want 30-06 or larger or they don't work for you.
Hhardrock

Wrench

WKR
I'll take a guy who can land a 308 in the 10 ring at 600 over a guy who's in the 3's with a RUM.

People who think 308 bullets bounce off elk spent too much time on the net and not enough time cutting meat.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I'll take a guy who can land a 308 in the 10 ring at 600 over a guy who's in the 3's with a RUM.

People who think 308 bullets bounce off elk spent too much time on the net and not enough time cutting meat.

This right here. A lot of elk are taken every year with a traditional bow. If you cant do it with a .308 might want to re-evaluate your hunting skills not the tools.

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
I wouldn't pay the added price for a B&C reticle with the CDS with Leupold. Kinda useless to have both imo..

ace4

FNG
I wouldn't pay the added price for a B&C reticle with the CDS with Leupold. Kinda useless to have both imo..
Depends on what your hunting. Faster game like predators at distance don't always give you the chance to adjust the CDS. B&C requires no adjustment. But yeah a agree that it's more of a luxury. If you already took the time to master the B&C you're probably not gunna use the CDS.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk