Elk Rifle Advice... again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and I promise you I have shot more in my life than you... probably more in a single day than you... Since we use to regularly put 5000+ rounds down range a day when I was training up.

You could only kill one out to 700 yards? I would watch on this forum talking about taking long shots at animals like that... A lot of people are "ethical nazis" on here... But 700 yards is just a starting point for my shooting :)
Dude are you messing with us🤣
Everything you write is utter BS

My only advice is not to get too hung up on barrel length. If we were all looking for the most performance out of a barrel everyone would be hunting with 28-30" barrels.

madcalfe

WKR
hahah ohh boy read his too much bullet thread:rolleyes: i wouldn't be taking advice from someone that says his starting point at shooting is 700 yards when he misses 4 deer within 200 yards and complains he cant check the zero of his rifle due to not having a proper place to shoot or being able to use a lead sled or bench rest....

here's my advice on a elk rifle, and i generally kill a 6 point every year. Buy something you can afford, light enough to pack and your confident enough to shoot it. Do you need a 300wm or a 338 no... absolutely not. I've seen elk killed with a .243. Your obviously not gonna want to make a 600 yard poke on a elk with a .243. every caliber has its limitations find one you like and what distances you ideally want to shoot at and go hunting. i can hit steel out to 1200 yards but would never shoot at anything over 700. I personally use a .300wsm ive owned 4 now and every elk, mountain goat, black bear, deer and so on I've shot has been DRT and I'm actually quite interested in going down to a 7SAUM. Ps my current rifle build is a .300wsm with 20" proof barrel.

This quickly turned into the "Is a .22 ok for elk?" thread again. Except that one was satirical (maybe?)

CorbLand

WKR
The fact that in 200 posts he came to the conclusion that Rokslide is pretty anti shooting 700 yards should really sum everything up for anyone.

OP
NJDiverDan
LOL, thanks guys. Yes I did find my rifle. No, I am not shooting anything at 700 yards.

I ended up with the Savage UL in .280AI. Shooting really well with factory and I am waiting to do some load work up until the summer and hopefully better availability of components.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well I guess all the books and barrel engineering, written by PhD scientist is hog wash... Damn I am an idiot for listening to them. Oh wait I have actually experienced all three of those things too. Was I dropping acid?

Dude did YOU FREAKING READ what I wrote. Your example is a short action caliber... and a very easy on the barrel one at that (6.5 C). I swear the drive by authors on here drive me nuts. READ WHAT I WROTE.
Better to let others think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it. You are so out of your element here it's funny. But, do tell,sensei, what your books have told you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
LOL, thanks guys. Yes I did find my rifle. No, I am not shooting anything at 700 yards.

I ended up with the Savage UL in .280AI. Shooting really well with factory and I am waiting to do some load work up until the summer and hopefully better availability of components.
Which factory loads are you running in your 280AI? The new Federal Terminal Ascent 155s are quarter minute in my Cooper 280AI... with a thin damn barrel. Guess that'll never hold up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
My old Vietnam Vet buddy always says that's it's funny how you never met any ex- military cooks, truck drivers or janitors.....

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My old Vietnam Vet buddy always says that's it's funny how you never met any ex- military cooks, truck drivers or janitors.....

@wildernessmaster said he was a special forces medic here. Maybe he actually was 🤷‍♂️

post 10. man this guy nailed in in july 2020

TK-421

FNG
tenor.gif

I'd be inclined to take wildernesses advice. He knows elk hunting, should know a thing or two about rifle selection for it.

"Thing is I know I have game because I have taken elk 5 out of the 6 years I have hunted them - and have doubled up with my brother 3 out of those 5 years. I went from knowing nothing about elk or elk hunting to having to move to bow hunting elk to keep it challenging."

-Wildernessmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.