Elk Tag

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Can’t even say the state anymore! What is this world coming too. Pretty soon it’ll be “I shot an elk on planet earth. If that’s not allowed please delete”
It wasnt about the where, it was about the How. But congrats to the one guy who sleuthed his way to figuring it out and posted for all to see.

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm gonna be honest, I understand the secrecy. I have found out the hard way that people will stab you in the back in a half a second for a bull elk. I wish everybody would keep their spots to themselves. If you have a way to routinely get a non resident tag, hold it near and dear.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I'm gonna be honest, I understand the secrecy. I have found out the hard way that people will stab you in the back in a half a second for a bull elk. I wish everybody would keep their spots to themselves. If you have a way to routinely get a non resident tag, hold it near and dear.
This is exactly correct!! Many do not know the additional ways to acquire a Limited Entry tag. Then you have the ones that just cant wait to educate everyone about the options. Then, before you know it, those options disappear and people start complaining again. I probably shouldnt have even mentioned having a tag.

Geewhiz

WKR
This is exactly correct!! Many do not know the additional ways to acquire a Limited Entry tag. Then you have the ones that just cant wait to educate everyone about the options. Then, before you know it, those options disappear and people start complaining again. I probably shouldnt have even mentioned having a tag.
Man, I don't even post pics of dead animals until they are euro'd on my wall. Even then for some reason it still makes me nervous, especially if they're big enough to draw attention. You dont give people drainages, road names or numbers, water bodies, rivers, even mountain ranges, weather events/isolated showers or storms, dont tell them how long it takes you to get there, pack out distances/topography, wash the mud/dust off your truck, dont tell them timber/sage/other foliage, don't tell them if/where you stopped to get gas/groceries, I don't tell people a freaking thing.

Might be suprised what somebody can figure out with simple deduction based on the color of the mud on your truck and how long you were gone.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
Man, I don't even post pics of dead animals until they are euro'd on my wall. Even then for some reason it still makes me nervous, especially if they're big enough to draw attention. You dont give people drainages, road names or numbers, water bodies, rivers, even mountain ranges, weather events/isolated showers or storms, dont tell them how long it takes you to get there, pack out distances/topography, wash the mud/dust off your truck, dont tell them timber/sage/other foliage, don't tell them if/where you stopped to get gas/groceries, I don't tell people a freaking thing.

Might be suprised what somebody can figure out with simple deduction based on the color of the mud on your truck and how long you were gone.
Hell yeah! Cody will have his guides on you quick!!! LOL

Gila

WKR
The internet has changed the dynamics of hunting. Some advantages and some dis-advantages. Before the Internet, it was boots on the ground scouting or you hired an outfitter period. I don’t think there are more hunters. Just that it is too easy to get online and find out which unit to apply for and which units have the highest success rates. Bull Elk tags are hard to come by in every state there is elk. Some states are very conservative with how many tags are available in the draw. In New Mexico it is quality over quantity which I can appreciate. Just that it is very difficult to draw a decent bull tag even for residents. In hind sight I probably shouldn’t have asked. Just that in New Mexico the leftovers are only cow tags and only youth can get those tags. However not posting pictures or sharing our hunting stories sort of defeats the purpose of having a forum. I think it wise not to put any info out there though.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
The internet has changed the dynamics of hunting. Some advantages and some dis-advantages. Before the Internet, it was boots on the ground scouting or you hired an outfitter period. I don’t think there are more hunters. Just that it is too easy to get online and find out which unit to apply for and which units have the highest success rates. Bull Elk tags are hard to come by in every state there is elk. Some states are very conservative with how many tags are available in the draw. In New Mexico it is quality over quantity which I can appreciate. Just that it is very difficult to draw a decent bull tag even for residents. In hind sight I probably shouldn’t have asked. Just that in New Mexico the leftovers are only cow tags and only youth can get those tags. However not posting pictures or sharing our hunting stories sort of defeats the purpose of having a forum. I think it wise not to put any info out there though.
I love hunting New Mexico. I drew a bull tag 3 of 5 years from 2015-2020. Every year since i figure im never going back. Unfortunately, that just may be the case now. Hopefully one day I will draw again.

Gila

WKR
I love hunting New Mexico. I drew a bull tag 3 of 5 years from 2015-2020. Every year since i figure im never going back. Unfortunately, that just may be the case now. Hopefully one day I will draw again.
I hope you do get a chance to come back and hunt. There are no preference points so everyone has the same chances each draw. Some times the guy ahead of you bails out for whatever reason or someone just donates their tag. But it is really rare to get a tag that way.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
It wasnt about the where, it was about the How. But congrats to the one guy who sleuthed his way to figuring it out and posted for all to see.
It didn’t take any sleuthing (I was hoping for one too) but I deleted it so that only me and you and the other 807 people that viewed this post will know about secret tags in that one state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
Some of you guys need to chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And some of us need to start scouting! I did some PM on the side by yesterday. Has wonky eye on the winch cable. Last week of July, all of August is critical for scouting down here. That is if you have a decent bull tag, which I do.

m4ddis

FNG
So i got an elk tag!! Its not the best elk tag out there , but its better than the one i didnt have when i woke up yesterday!!! At least now I get to archery hunt a bull in September now!! After striking out on 3 draws im pretty stoked!!
Congrats!

ElkNut1

WKR
Kenny, congrats again sir, but, I bet there's a part of you that wishes you didn't start this thread! (grin) I'm sure you were excited but not everyone needs to know about it or how & where! Good luck sir!

ElkNut

Oregon Roosevelt tags may be one of the last OTC choices soon, then you need to win the lotto to get a permit for a bunch of the private timberland in those units.

Things have sure changed a lot fast

Elk tags are a real hot commodity.