Epic Pack Outs

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
As far as an epic pack out goes, that last one takes the cake! Cudos goes out to ohhiitznik for saving a mans life and pulling off what most mortal men could never pull off. I know I couldn't do it at this point in my life but in that situation I would try...

As far as an epic pack out goes, that last one takes the cake! Cudos goes out to ohhiitznik for saving a mans life and pulling off what most mortal men could never pull off. I know I couldn't do it at this point in my life but in that situation I would try...

You'd be surprised what you can do when you're feeding off adrenaline. It didn't hurt that I'm a monster and he wasn't very big. He was just very lucky he had my grizzly bear self walking up the mountain and being the one who found him.

Nik,
I'd heard you mention you carried an injured guy off the mountain in your pack this year, but hearing you write it out like that is nuts! Kudos for you... I would've contemplated dropping my gear and using the SPOT or running the 6 miles back to the trailhead to get cell service instead of hauling him out just cause I'm not sure I could've done that. Kudos bro you'll have a good season this year! :)

Mike

You'd be surprised what you can do when you're feeding off adrenaline. It didn't hurt that I'm a monster and he wasn't very big. He was just very lucky he had my grizzly bear self walking up the mountain and being the one who found him.

All I have to say is wow! I had no clue I bought a frame that went through that. I almost think it needs to be in a museum. Haha I have a huge bar to meet with that frame!

All I have to say is wow! I had no clue I bought a frame that went through that. I almost think it needs to be in a museum. Haha I have a huge bar to meet with that frame!

I almost thought about keeping it just because of what it did. But alas when Aron said the Bikini can do 95% of what the Duplex can do, and at half the weight I had to let her go. Not enough room in the stables for 2 frames!

Snyd

WKR
Well, I got a late start in life sheep hunting. I was 45. I've been on 8 DIY Dall Sheep hunts. 7 of them 20-50+ mile 8-10 day walkin hunts. One "easy" one of about 12. Gutted and packed 7 rams. Lowered the boom on 2, polished off another wounded one. All have their own "Epic Haul Out" stories. Last year we got 2 rams after hiking in to the Brooks Range 12-15 miles off the haul road. Not bad for 2 53 year old old farts :D But, the most epic is probably mine and my buddies first rams back in 06

Gotta post the story so it's in perspective even though it's a little long. Here's a few pics. http://s1079.beta.photobucket.com/user/pbsnyd/story/14911#

2 friends, 12 days, 50+ miles, 2 first rams DCUA Walk In Hunt

The Initial Plan:

Hook 2 homemade game carts on the back of our mtn bikes, bike in 6 miles up the old road, stash the bikes in the brush, throw our packs on the carts and pull the carts overland on the atv trail to the Gerstle, hike the up Gerstle to July creek, drop the carts and head up to an area that I was at 3 years ago with another friend who shot his ram. About 20 miles.

Reality:

Terrain and rivers change. We could only get our carts about two miles before reaching Bradford creek. Gerstle had a deep channel next to the mountain. No prob. Stash the carts and keep walking. Problem, still 8 miles or so from July creek and 11 or 12 miles from where we wanted to go. New Plan: Hunt Bradford Creek.

The Hunting Expedition.

8/8/06 Day 1: Got a late start. Left the rig at 11am. Biked in 6 miles pulling homemade game carts on a muddy road. Tough work pulling a cart with an 85lb pack on it. Stashed bikes, pulled carts almost to the Gerstle. Camped for the night.

8/9/06 Day 2: Pulled carts (slow going) as far as we could go. Stashed carts a couple miles before Bradford creek where the Gerstle ran up against the bank. Went on to Bradford creek. Hiked up Bradfrod creek about a mile to a spot we could get up the ridge. Camped for the night.

8/10/06 Day 3: Opening day- still not in sheep country. 1 day behind OUR schedule but... we were right on HIS Schedule. Hiked/climbed up the gnarly ridge and up into sheep country. Took us 8 hours to get up there. Steep, technical slow going. No way we were going to be able to come back down this. We would have to come back out via Bradford creek. Finally we arrived in a nice saddle, found water, pitched the tent- sheep camp 2006. We have arrived. Spotted 1 legal Ram and 1 maybe from the tent that night. Right on schedule.

8/11/06 Day 4: We were wasted and still had the whole hunt ahead of us. Spent the day resting, eating, guzzling water and gatorade and glassing. Spotted Rams. Right on schedule.

8/12/06 Day 5: The Third Day of sheep season, got up and felt rested and excited Spotted the "maybe" ram on across the drainage. Went after him, by the time we got there he vanished. Explored the country, glassed distant bowl and ridges, saw sheep everywhere. Hunted along the edge of a high plateau that dropped off into steep, did I say STEEP chutes full of craigs, etc. Ram country. Came across a maybe (the earlier maybe??) and a 3/4 curl just off the edge in the craigs. They made us and took off. We waited a bit and then pursued. While in pursuit I spotted another ram who was legal. Just at full curl, feeding on the edge of the plateau. I made a short stalk. Close as I could get was 300-350yds. At least what I figured at the time. I had a good rest, shot, knocked him over behind a little rise. I could see flashes of him as he flailed. I figured I lung shot him and hit some bone thus knocking him over. All the sudden he jumped up and gave two kicks or so, he was above the rise, below the rise, above the rise below the rise. No way to get another shot. He jumped over the edge into no mans land.... It happened in a matter of seconds. We got there and peered over the edge, took a breath and "went under"... down into STEEP no-mans land. He had taken a nasty fall but was still alive looking up at me, I couldn't believe it. About 200 yds, all I could see was the top of his back/neck and part of his head as he peered over the rocks. The only shot I had was off hand. Hit him just below the spine and knocked him down the chute. He took a nasty fall several hundred feet. My first shot was a little low. Slightly up hill, hit him high in the lower leg, up through the brisket and up threw the far shoulder. Missed any vitals. Went back to the same area two days later looking for another ram and figured he was further than I initially thought. Maybe a range finder

next time. Getting down to him was a very high pucker factor. Steep, steep, steep. Loose, wet, muddy. If you fall, you go a thousand feet or more. No way to self arrest on that terrain. When I started down the chute the fog rolled in. We went from being at the edge of a grassy, sunny, green "happy/ friendly" plateu to a gray lifeless, unforgiving place of nothing but rock and mud within one or two minutes. The fog just added to the atmosphere making it surreal. That combined with the steepness of the terrain, adding the element of danger took us into that unique once in a lifetime kind of place. It was awesome to me, I took my time and paused and soaked it in. Plus I had to find good foot and hand holds!! Times like that really make me feel alive. I was at what I would consider my limit. What stopped him from falling was that he finally hit a small pile of larger rock on a little less steep terrain. I GOT MY FIRST RAM!!! Couldn't hardly believe it. After years of dreaming and months of preparation there he was, full curl, 34 inch, 12 inch bases, 9 years old. Not a whopper but a trophy to me. We got back to the tent that night at around ten. Pretty grueling hike back. Stashed the meat in the cool creek bottom below our ridge. One down, one to go. Right on schedule.

8/13/06 Day: 6 Woke up to socked in fog. Just as well. We rested. Started to clear a little around 2 or 3. We didn't venture to far that day. Went up our ridge a ways and glassed another bowl and a different part of the plateau. Saw Caribou and sheep grazing side by side. A truly unique thing to see. The sheep were youngsters with a few 3/4's. Tomorrow we go for number two. Right on schedule.

8/14/06 Day 7: The plan: go back up to the plateau area where I shot mine. Possibly venture back further a couple miles to some far bowls and ridges we glassed a couple days before and saw sheep. We went back further this time, same type of deal, sneak along the edge of the plateau above the craigs and chutes. Saw a 7/8ths. Watched him for a bit, he got nervous and moved. We followed and found him hooked up with another ram. Got the binos on the new ram and I said "Shane! He's a broomer! Looks like an old bugger! Even walks with a limp!" You could tell just by looking at him next to the other ram that he was old bugger. Like seeing a young man and an old man standing side by side. After a bit he turned his head and presto... we saw his other horn, broomed. "Take him Shane!". Shane verifies he's legal, jacks a shell into his ol standby Remington 700 BDL 338 and.....the bolt won't close!!! AAAWWW!!! NO WAY!! Years of dreaming, months of planning, days of humping and now at the crucial moment a gun jamb! "Here Shane! Take the Kimber!" I hand him my new Kimber Montana 325, he's laying prone with a good rest, 200yds or so, I have the ram in the spotter, blamo, the sheep didn't even flinch, I didn't see hair or blood fly, nothing. "You missed him!" I said "No way!" says Shane. "I lung shot him". The two rams took off. We saw the 7/8ths beat feet over, down and up another draw. We start seeing rams popping out all over. " There he is!". Get the binos on him and "No, not him!". This happened a couple times. Shane says "I know I hit him" I'm beginning to think that he must have although it sure didn't look like it. We start peering down the steep chutes between the craigs and finally Shane spotted him. One of those deals where if one guy stood on one foot and leaned as far as you dare you cold see him piled up down in the chute. He got him!! We got 2 rams!! He had double lunged him. Even broke a rib going in and out. That .325 200 grain accubond just punched a hole right through him like nothing. We got him all boned out and now headed back to the tent. We were several drainages away and had lost quite a bit of elevation. Darkness fell so we stashed the meat down in the creek bottom of upper Bradfrod creek and siwashed it next to a big rock on the mountainside until daylight. Right on schedule.

8/15/06 Day 8: Humped it down Bradford creek and then up and overland back to camp. Got a few hours of sleep, packed up the tent, dropped down into the creek drainage and got my ram, headed up and down and dropped into Bradford creek. Stashed the sheep, beat feet down stream with gear until dark. Nasty gnarly going. Totally spent and soaked. Found a patch of sand to pitch the tent. Right on schedule.

8/16/06 Day 9: Set the tent with our gear in it on top of a huge pile of rocks above highwater line in case the creek came up. Humped it back up the creek a couple miles or so, passed by my ram and up farther to Shanes ram. Then back down and grabbed my ram. Now we are each packing our own rams. Too cool, and heavy too! Humped it back down to the tent. Dropped the meat, packed up camp and headed down out of the creek canyon to our first campsite on Bradford creek we made on the way in a week earlier. Made it an hour or so before dark. Pitched the tent, built a fire and it stopped raining. What a day, Bradford creek kicked our butts, but we made it... so far, but not so soon... The sheep is still up the creek! But, once again...Right on schedule.

NOTE: Bradford creek is in a steep narrow canyon, it is very technical slow going. More crawling than walking. Fortunalty the water was'nt any higher than it was. As it was we were soaked between walking/crawling in the creek and the rain. It is very fast, some areas are like a natural water-slide with the way the water has worn away the rock. If you fall in with a 130lb pack on, so long... One spot was totally impassable, a massive water-slide that filled the narrow canyon. Water was so loud you had to yell to talk. Fortunately there was one... and only one spot where we could scale straight up a few hundred yards and "portage" our way around the waterfall/chute. We literally had to push and pull each other up. Plus we had to make the trip 4 or 5 times leap frogging our way out!! It was way gnarly, I didn't even take any pictures. All we could think of was getting our butts out of there before the creek rose and trapped us in the canyon. We both still think we left our butts up Bradford creek somewhere!.

8/17/06 Day 10: Time to hump it back up Bradford creek and get the sheep. Back down to camp. We're fried now. All socks are soaked and we have had a good case of sloshfoot for 3 days and we are still 13-15 miles from the rig. But finally we have both rams and all gear in the same spot. Hung the sheep in a tree. The sun came out for about and hour. Time to head to the Gerstle! Packed up camp and humped it down Bradford creek to the Gerstle past our carts a few miles into the low land. Pitched the tent next to the ATV trail by the creek in the trees. Right on schedule.

8/18/06 Day 11: Turned around and humped it back up to the Gerstle to Bradfrod creek once again ugg.... Bradford creek. Got the sheep, humped it back down Bradford creek down the Gerstle to the carts. Yes! Pigged out on canned stew and peaches we had cached at the carts, threw the sheep on the carts and hiked to camp. No packs or weight on our backs!! Got there about 6pm or so. Rain had stopped. (oh ya, it has been raining most of the time for about 4 days) Built a fire and ate sheep for the first time on the trip. Both sheep and our gear is now at the carts for the first time- yes. Right on schedule.

8/19/06 Day 12: Packed up gear and sheep on the carts. Hiked for about a mile or so and then had to unpack the gear and hump the sheep up a steep rutted area. Drop back down throw pack with gear on and pull empty carts up the spot. Only took about hour and a half. Not bad. From there, all gear and sheep back on to the carts. 4 or 5 miles of pulling the carts on terra-firma. Up and down but not bad. Followed HUGE did I say HUGE griz tracks on the trail for about 2 miles. Getting close to the bikes now. Arrive at the mineral lick and there is a cow moose that will not leave. We finally chased her off. 5 minutes later we are back to the bikes, YES! Hook the carts to the bikes and ride the 6 miles of gentle downhill grade back to the rig. What a trip. I love it when a plan comes together! So long as it's...Right on schedule.

I thank the Lord, my wife and my friend Shane for an awesome once in a lifetime hunt in the Alaska Range. We saw a helicopter and two small planes the first two days. After that, nothing and no one. It was a true wilderness experience. The most demanding rewarding hunt I have ever been on. We had a plan but the Lord had us on the Schedule. It all worked out perfectly. I trained hard for the trip. Hiked once or twice a week all summer and worked up to making at least six 2 hour hard hill hikes with an 85lb pack and one with 110lbs. That along with rigorous cycling, squats and other weight training. We had good gear and I will post some reviews as time goes by. During the trip we had many decisions to make. We took our time, prayed and rested when we needed it. No room for error when you are 25 miles from the nearest road. If you ever get the chance and have the ability to go on a walkin sheep hunt... do it. Nothing like it.

Last edited:

doin1

FNG
Ohhiitznik.
I have a question for you. What was the factors considered when deciding not use the SPOT? I have always thought I would buy a Delorme 2 way communicator. But maybe I haven't considered all the factors.

Ohhiitznik.
I have a question for you. What was the factors considered when deciding not use the SPOT? I have always thought I would buy a Delorme 2 way communicator. But maybe I haven't considered all the factors.

The storm, being only about 3.5-4 miles from the trailhead, adrenaline, young, strong and dumb enough to try, and worried how much it would have cost the guy because he wasn't insured on my SPOT plan. The last reason was the biggest one. I know I paid for the SnR insurance to cover me in case something happened. But I didn't know if it covered anybody. If he was 5+ miles I would've set him up a camp and got help. I also found him in the early stages of hypothermia. That had some play into it as well as he had already spent the night with his injury. The fastest way to get him to definitive care was to just carry him.

That has me thinking. Is there any procedures or self splints that are recommended for someone with a broken leg? I've broken a few bones and imagine if I
Could splint my leg and fashion a crutch of some sort I might consider the idea of attempting to get myself out... I carry a handful of hydrocodon with me just in case which could help, but getting yourself out on your own with a broken leg seems nearly impossible.

Mike

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike i think the pain of a broken leg puts most people into shock which effects thought process and the ability to take care of situation yourself

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
That has me thinking. Is there any procedures or self splints that are recommended for someone with a broken leg? I've broken a few bones and imagine if I
Could splint my leg and fashion a crutch of some sort I might consider the idea of attempting to get myself out... I carry a handful of hydrocodon with me just in case which could help, but getting yourself out on your own with a broken leg seems nearly impossible.

Mike

Having been there done that, I would say that it is pretty much impossible to hike with a broken leg at least depending on the terrain and type of fracture. I broke both bones in my left lower leg in steep mountains on kodiak, and when I even tried to stand upright the pain was so excruciating that I passed out. Luke and our friend Steve splinted my broken leg to my good one with an ace wrap, a trekking pole and a rain jacket and then dragged me a considerable distance downhill to a place flat enough for the USCG chopper to pick me up with a basket. I took two vidodin from our first aid kit, and can tell you they dulled my senses a little bit at best, but couldn't touch the amount of pain I had with movement due to those unstable fractures. I guess on flat terrain a person could drag themselves some distance, but I doubt you could get far and if you had hills to go up or down, forget it.

Mike i think the pain of a broken leg puts most people into shock which effects thought process and the ability to take care of situation yourself

Shock was a very real concern, and my blood pressure was so low in the chopper flying out that they wouldn't give me any more pain medicine until I had been rehydrated with a bag of IV fluids. If I had been stuck out in the elements that night I would have been in very bad shape.

Becca I forgot that I'd read that story... sounds like a nightmare for sure but thank God you made it out OK! Could've been a LOT worse obviously...

I think you're probably right, unless you're on a solid trail with easy terrain it'd be next to impossible to haul yourself out any distance! Not fun to think about that is for sure.

Mike

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca I forgot that I'd read that story... sounds like a nightmare for sure but thank God you made it out OK! Could've been a LOT worse obviously...

I think you're probably right, unless you're on a solid trail with easy terrain it'd be next to impossible to haul yourself out any distance! Not fun to think about that is for sure.

Mike

Grateful everyday it turned out as well as it did. 2 and a half years post fracture now, it took some permanent "accessories" in the form of titanium hardware and a lot of physical therapy, but I can hike farther and carry more now than before my accident. I still don't recommend it to anyone!

And I know I sound like a broken record, but my experience has made a me a huge believer in Sat Phones...expensive yes, but when you really need one they are worth their weight in gold.

Having been there done that, I would say that it is pretty much impossible to hike with a broken leg at least depending on the terrain and type of fracture. I broke both bones in my left lower leg in steep mountains on kodiak, and when I even tried to stand upright the pain was so excruciating that I passed out. Luke and our friend Steve splinted my broken leg to my good one with an ace wrap, a trekking pole and a rain jacket and then dragged me a considerable distance downhill to a place flat enough for the USCG chopper to pick me up with a basket. I took two vidodin from our first aid kit, and can tell you they dulled my senses a little bit at best, but couldn't touch the amount of pain I had with movement due to those unstable fractures. I guess on flat terrain a person could drag themselves some distance, but I doubt you could get far and if you had hills to go up or down, forget it.

Shock was a very real concern, and my blood pressure was so low in the chopper flying out that they wouldn't give me any more pain medicine until I had been rehydrated with a bag of IV fluids. If I had been stuck out in the elements that night I would have been in very bad shape.

Was yours compound Tib/Fib becca? I palped his pulse on dorsalis and he still had a decent bilateral pulse. So I was assuming it wasn't much for internal bleeding/damage. With this type of injury I don't think you could make it out yourself. The pain from walking would have you pass out like Becca said.