Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

TX_Diver

WKR
@Formidilosus

Is there an online resource where a person can learn the proper fundamentals of shooting a hunting rifle?

In archery, a beginner would do well to go through the School of Nock videos put out by John Dudley. He lays down fundamentals all the way from basic to more advanced in a systematic way so that a beginner is at least going to have a solid foundation.

I'm looking for something similar dedicated to shooting a hunting rifle.

I've watched some things by Ryan Kleckner (sp?) and it seems pretty reasonable/credible but thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

Also interested in this.

School of Nock was extremely helpful to my archery (and continues to be). Would be great if there was something similar for rifes.

Reactions: Stu

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Saturday is for the boys

23E5BEDB-B6BE-46AD-8FA6-1B79CC0A754D.jpeg

@Formidilosus can you share your supported sitting/kneeling position? Getting sticks deployed and sitting is what I’m doing and it’s the hardest for me of the positions in terms of time.

Blaw

WKR
that is probably way faster to get into then what I was doing, and more stable.

got any pics of other positions, grip on rifle, trigger finger angle (everyone is saying 90 degrees?)
Generally use the pack like this-

View attachment 242112

If using sticks, cross them, put the forend in the V and hold as above.
that is probably way faster to get into then what I was doing, and more stable.

got any pics of other positions, grip on rifle, trigger finger angle (everyone is saying 90 degrees?)

TX_Diver

WKR
11/20 today w/ the semi-auto.

T3X is backordered apparently. Just used cheap FMJ ammo today PMC Bronze.

Didn't run out of time on any strings this time although all were close w/ the timer going off right after I finished each round. Still need to work on both seated positions a lot as those should be easier points to pickup than offhand. I put a sling on the rifle after the first round which helped w/ the offhand shots. Also forgot to take the scope off of 15x magnification (used to check hits between rounds) so that made the seated a bit harder on the timed round.

TYTWBLAh.jpg

KsmR8tgh.jpg

Blaw

WKR
I drank the Kool-Aid hard today. bought the tikka 223. putting my swfa 6x on it. and bought the LRHS for my t3x 6.5

selling everything else :D

now if you people down south would stop buying all the ammo that would be great mmkkk?

Blaw

WKR
I like it when Form gets us to think.

I love it when Form changes our minds.

What I love even more is seeing people hang in there, with the right mix of challenging questions and an open mind, and then decide to give something a go. :)
You know what I don't like...
because of Forms great info I have now bought a 6x swfa, a 10x swfa, now a LRHS, a tikka in 6.5creed and a 223....oh yea and a KRG BRAVO.....I am trying to SAVE money...its impossible on this forum lol

TX_Diver

WKR
because of Forms great info I have now bought a 6x swfa, a 10x swfa, now a LRHS, a tikka in 6.5creed and a 223....oh yea and a KRG BRAVO.....I am trying to SAVE money...its impossible on this forum lol
Ha! I bought a 6x and 10x as well and the tikka .223. But I covered all of it with the sale of a scope I don’t use (replaced with the 10x) Simultaneously getting back into reloading was what was expensive!

Blaw

WKR
Ha! I bought a 6x and 10x as well and the tikka .223. But I covered all of it with the sale of a scope I don’t use (replaced with the 10x) Simultaneously getting back into reloading was what was expensive!
yea im having a big internal debate if I need the LRHS or if the 10x will suffice for my 6.5 creed hunting rifle.

nice thing is I bought it for 1k and they sell for 1600 up here right now. So I could sell it.

I really would like to check out the 3-9 swfa....but one slipped through my fingers on the used market. and your laws don't allow them shipped here :p

Dobermann

WKR

But now you've pretty much got everything you need ... :)

I know this is the practice >>>> gear thread. Well, I've got some new gear and I'm ready to learn how to shoot better!

Tikka T3X Lite - .223 Rem - 1:8 Twist
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1

I zeroed the rifle at 100 and shot out to 450. Shooting prone, sub-MOA at 100 (ten shots), and at 200, 325, and 450 (5 shots). Zeroed w/ Black Hills 77 gr TMK; averaged at 2920 fps. (I've got a bunch of bulk 55 grain stuff too).

Looking forward to learning, shooting better, and practicing the challenge that form posted.

New to me: Tikka, Mil/Mil, FFP, and TMKs. I'll be commenting on these soon enough.

tikka.jpg

Excellent advice.

I’d like to point out that small game like gophers, rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes deserve your respect just as much as an elk or an elephant. if you wound one they suffer just like an elk or deer. They are living critters just going about their business and if you choose to hunt them they also deserve a quick clean death.

WKR
I got my rifle (Tikka T3x superlight, 6x42 SWFA, Sportsmatch T084 rings, vertical grip) set up as per instructions in @Formidilosus thread on mounting the optics. I was a bit surprised by how much oil was on everything.

Shot some bulk ammo just to get used to the feel and get an approximate zero last week.

Today was the first day shooting good ammo, HSM "blue thrill" 55 gr.

Just trying to make sure the rifle is a good shooter so I shot a pair of 5 shot groups from a bench/bags.

First group20210108_142401.jpg

Second group:

20210108_152628.jpg

So, I'm pretty happy with the rifle/scope!

Then I went back to some bulk ammo to shoot off hand, kneeling, sitting and realized that I'm really bad at all of those positions and I have a lot of learning/practice ahead of me...

But, it's a start!

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I know this is the practice >>>> gear thread. Well, I've got some new gear and I'm ready to learn how to shoot better!

Tikka T3X Lite - .223 Rem - 1:8 Twist
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1

I zeroed the rifle at 100 and shot out to 450. Shooting prone, sub-MOA at 100 (ten shots), and at 200, 325, and 450 (5 shots). Zeroed w/ Black Hills 77 gr TMK; averaged at 2920 fps. (I've got a bunch of bulk 55 grain stuff too).

Looking forward to learning, shooting better, and practicing the challenge that form posted.

New to me: Tikka, Mil/Mil, FFP, and TMKs. I'll be commenting on these soon enough.

View attachment 248980
Those TMK are smokin! I need to play with some different powder, can’t seem to get reloads over 2800 with varget.

Those TMK are smokin! I need to play with some different powder, can’t seem to get reloads over 2800 with varget.
Surprised me too. Atomic Ammo with same bullet, albeit .223 stamp, was 200 fps slower. I'll reload them soon, but for now I'll buy the Black Hills ammo when available.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
First night on the forum and I'm already learning; thanks Form!

Currently don't have the ammo to run this with my 6.5 but I plan to shoot this 2/week (on average) over the course of this winter with my new rimfire setup. I'll see if I can get my GF and her dad to join in.

Question (for anyone) on scope setup. When setting up my guns I make sure to fit the scope to me (instead of me to the scope) but what shooting position should I set it for? I've found my head is in a different place (mainly just fore/aft) on the stock depending on my shooting position.

Blaw

WKR
First night on the forum and I'm already learning; thanks Form!

Currently don't have the ammo to run this with my 6.5 but I plan to shoot this 2/week (on average) over the course of this winter with my new rimfire setup. I'll see if I can get my GF and her dad to join in.

Question (for anyone) on scope setup. When setting up my guns I make sure to fit the scope to me (instead of me to the scope) but what shooting position should I set it for? I've found my head is in a different place (mainly just fore/aft) on the stock depending on my shooting position.
I believe you want to be in the position you are most likely shooting from.

although that being said most do it from prone if I am not mistaken, as that is the preferred position for longer shots.

if there is someone with more experience I would go with their advice as I have just recently really started working on fundamentals.

roughnecknine0

Lil-Rokslider
I believe you want to be in the position you are most likely shooting from.

although that being said most do it from prone if I am not mistaken, as that is the preferred position for longer shots.

if there is someone with more experience I would go with their advice as I have just recently really started working on fundamentals.
Yep. Prone is what I've traditionally done for all my other rifles but now that I'm doing more field/positional shooting I'm finding that it's not always the best. Guess I can cheat and move it somewhere between the two? Or just spend more time out and see what position I shoot from the most. Thanks Blaw

There has been a trend away from the traditional very low prone position to having your rifle higher and head more upright, which allows using the center of your eye rather than the upper quadrant to look through.
Give it a try and you will probably find you want to move your scope back a bit and it will be more comfortable from all positions