Equipment versus practice posts and Rifle practice/shooting

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Humbled. Shot this today with my 6.5CM. first time back to the range in a while. Scored an 11/20.
great eye opener and great practice.

woods89

WKR
Humbled. Shot this today with my 6.5CM. first time back to the range in a while. Scored an 11/20.
great eye opener and great practice.
That was my score last Sunday when I shot this. And that was not using a timer but just shooting the timed portions as fast as I could. Like I've said before, this one is hard on the ego.

I used to think I was pretty good, because, you know, I could lay down prone, wiggle everything around until nothing moved, and hit stuff. This drill was a bit of a shock the first time I shot it. I see some definite improvement but I have a long ways to go. Offhand and sitting unsupported are really tough.

It is a fun one to shoot, though!

Antares

WKR
I was thinking about the "on demand 1.5-2 MOA 10-shot group" prerequisite for this drill, so I made this target. It's 25 half inch squares. I shot it prone at 50 yards with a .22 on a bipod and rear bag. Will post up results from shooting the actual drill next time.

Attachments

• IMG_2955.jpeg
    IMG_2955.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 83
Amazing thread; thanks for all the wisdom here, esp. Form.

Have not taken the full on test (will do and post it up once I have a more reliable source for .30-06 ammo), but y'all inspired me to start practicing with all my kit on and timing myself getting into various shooting positions. As many have said, the results were humbling (in other words, I found I have no business shooting at a live animal off hand at anything besides point blank range).

Y'all also inspired me to consider buying a .223 bolt gun for practice (I also have a little one who I'll start teaching to shoot in a few years, and I know from experience that a .30-06 is a rough way to break into rifle shooting).

My question is: should I just go buy the $200est used .223 at my local pawn shop? Or is there a reason to hold out for a specific gun with a specific twist rate? (I'll never do competition or long range shooting. But maybe a first gun for a youngster's deer/antelope.)

Dobermann

WKR
Some tricks with the $200 pawn shop gun are that you don't know anything about its history, may have little recourse if it's not precise, and it may not be the best option in terms of action, trigger, barrel, and so on.

Many of us here prefer a Tikka T3X with a 1 in 8 twist, topped with an SWFA 3-9 - this is a fairly cheap and dead reliable combination.

This twist rate will handle 77 gr just fine.

For fun, I recently used my stock T3x in 223 at a local invitational match and came second in two events. The bar wasn't very high - and I'm not a great shot - but it was interesting seeing some of the folks who'd been condescending about such a 'boring' factory gun change their tune.

Bluumoon

WKR
tempImagednmcP6.jpgtempImagec6iQyU.jpg

As others have said humbled. T1x .22lr at 50yards. 8/20 first run. 10/20 second. I was definitely pulling high right (reconfirmed zero at 25 yards) in my supported positions, second run through I held at 6 O'clock on the line when prone.

Blaw

WKR
ok I finally stopped shooting prone.....my unsupported standing shot was downright embarrassing....like barely even hit the target with 1.

how are you guys shooting standing...my reticle makes me feel like I am trying to aim while having a seizure lol

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
I'm rarely able to keep my wobble zone within the target for any predictable amount of time while standing. Most of the time I'm timing the trigger pull as the reticle passes over the target zone, but that requires not anticipating the shot (not flinching).

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ok I finally stopped shooting prone.....my unsupported standing shot was downright embarrassing....like barely even hit the target with 1.

how are you guys shooting standing...my reticle makes me feel like I am trying to aim while having a seizure lol
Sling for support...

Natural point of aim for reducing wobble...

If you close your eyes, your rifle will point right or left of the target. Move your feet until when you close your eyes you don't have to muscle the rifle.

Elevation is part of it, but if you get your body pointed to the target with the rifle as part of you as a system, you will cut wobble by eliminating the left to right twist in your hips and shoulders.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
*******. Humbled.

100m with Tikka 223/SWFA 10x.

5kHJGpD.jpg

This was a huuuuge eye-opener. I need a lot of practice. Offhand was a joke. Considering getting an actual shooting sling now instead of just a carry strap.

It was not a good feeling going from shooting off pack/bino harness and putting up itty-bitty groups to doing this. I know the rifle is dialed in, so the only excuse is "me".

*******. Humbled.

5kHJGpD.jpg

This was a huuuuge eye-opener. I need a lot of practice. Offhand was a joke. Considering getting an actual shooting sling now instead of just a carry strap.

It was not a good feeling going from shooting off pack/bino harness and putting up itty-bitty groups to doing this. I know the rifle is dialed in, so the only excuse is "me".

10x off hand at 100 yards is tough duty. That wobble zone is gonna be fierce

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
*******. Humbled.

5kHJGpD.jpg

There is a massive learning curve, but good news is you can shrink them!

Take a look at my Sling on www.thunderbirdlongrange.com. I have a arm cuff option.

bpctcb

WKR
As a longtime firearms instructor I appreciate Form starting this thread and now seeing guys getting out to practice from field positions.

Standing offhand shooting is definitely tough. I practice for it myself but also use a set of long grass style shooting sticks (they also serve as a good hiking staff). The sticks are FAST to deploy and allow me to keep my shots inside a paper plate out to 300 yards. Give them a try.

BP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthPaw

WKR
Great thread, thanks @Formidilosus

Anybody know what the backorder timelines are from SWFA? Any recommended alternatives to the 3-9 for a mountain hunting rifle? (or if any of you are open to part with your extra 3-9 SWFA :) )

lak2004

WKR
Great thread, thanks @Formidilosus

Anybody know what the backorder timelines are from SWFA? Any recommended alternatives to the 3-9 for a mountain hunting rifle? (or if any of you are open to part with your extra 3-9 SWFA :) )
Keep an eye on the classifieds here and 24hourcampfire

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Yep, and if you're ordering directly from SWFA, Ilya mentioned a while ago that they'd had a couple of orders come in, and go straight out to pre-orders - so didn't even show as in-stock on the webpage.

In other words, pre-order so you know you'll get one; don't keep checking their site.