Family trip to Colorado

Planning to take the wife and kids to south fork the week after Christmas. As of now the plan is to spend 2 days at wolf creek ski slopes. And maybe a day or two just letting the kids play in the snow and just hangingoutaroundthe cabin. Is there any must do's or any other recommendations for that time of year? We have been to the area before in the summer, but the winter will be a new experience for us coming from the tx gulf coast.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Good choice staying in South Fork to ski vs Pagosa. When the snow flies and they close the pass all the people coming from the Pagosa side are hosed. That said Pagosa has all of the hot springs which are nice to visit after a hard day of skiing as well as any possible night life or restaurants. South Fork is pretty quiet, there is one restaurant/bar that I can think of, another one or two pop up every year or two but don’t last long. The only other winter time activities in South Fork would be snow shoeing, cross country skiing, and fishing.Oh yeah, bundle up, it gets cold there at night.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
Have you been to the Sand Dunes Nat’l Monument? An hour or so from SF, you can rent sand boards (if the place is open) to use in the dunes. Pretty neat place.

Poser

WKR
-Decent set of AT tires

-winter windshield solution

-ice scraper and snow brush with long handle

-Use a low gear coming down Wolf Creek pass (nothing worse than a set of Texas plates riding their brakes down WC pass).

-wolf creek can be very cold and windy in storm conditions. Make sure you have lots of layer options for the family as I’ve seen many a kids crying in the lodge there on powder days.
Get there early and you can park right next to the lodge to have easy access to your vehicle.

-the food at wolf creek is actually respectable and very reasonably priced by ski resort standards. It’s the only ski hill that I actually buy food at.

-Ramon’s Mexican restaurant is pretty good, actually surprisingly good for the area. Mountain Tap pizza is probably your only other option. It doesn’t seem to be ran very well, but maybe that has improved. Del Norte will have a few more options.