Not hunting related-Need info on Sevierville, Tn

Family is renting a cabin in Sevierville, Tn for a Christmas function. Any suggestions on activities or "must do's"? We will be there about a week starting Dec 18. Not sure what to expect for weather since rain/snow has been forecast. Any places/things to avoid?? Thanks for any help. Any possibility of fishing places accessible for small kids, weather permitting of course. We will be cooking a big pot of pastalaya and another pot of gumbo to see if we can attract some bears (just kidding).

KHNC

WKR
Bass Pro is right there of course. Take a trip to Cades Cove if you have time. Lots of wildlife to see and a nice view scenery wise. The French Broad river is nearby. Public access but not sure how the fishing will be right now from shore. Gatlinburg has dinner party options if you are into that. The medieval themed ones can be fun.

OP
L
Thanks KHNC. Fishing is usually artificials from the shore?? Or fly rod?? Are rainbows and browns in that area? We have a stream across from the cabin, so I'm thinking the kids can harass the fish there if nothing else. It should be a good time. It will be the first Christmas we are spending out of Louisiana-We wanted to try something different this year.

jayhawk

WKR
I’ve been there many times.
Cades Cove, Dollywood, theres some good fishing in the National Park, there are a few ponds in town, and Douglas Lake isn’t far from there.
Basically just avoid the hoke tourist things in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.

OP
L
Thanks. I've been warned about the tourist traps-too crowded and too expensive. That's one of the reasons for my post, hoping to get a few tips on what to do and what to avoid.

ETtikka

WKR
Rieys aquarium in Gatlingburg is the is the o ly man made attraction worth visiting.

Best part of the national park:
South section near Fontana dam
Newfound gap road
Any of the creek side trails, such as tremont

Cherohala skyway: one of best two high altitude scenic roads east of the rockies

tony

WKR
Yep Smokey mountain knives is a must stop.
There’s a big gun shop next to it, buds I think?
Cool outdoor shop in gatlinburg, has swinging bridges, tunnels to go over and through inside.
We went to hike a few years back, climbed chimney top, where the huge fire started a few years back.
Clingmans dome is pretty neat.

OP
L
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm making a list to check the close proximity to where we will be staying. Lots to see with not a lot of time. All weather dependent of course. We might be snowed in, but it's a big cabin (3 floors) with lots of video games to keep the 3 grandkids out of our hair.

DWinVA

WKR
Been going there for almost 30 years. It is for tourists, that’s why it’s there. Be ready for some serious crowds but take a deep breath & enjoy. We never go on a weekend, usually Mon-Tues. If you like pancakes hit the Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg. Like others have said Cades Cove is nice but can be very crowded. There is a real neat fly shop in Townsend, Little River Outfitters.

God Bless.

ethan

WKR
I’m not much on Gatlinburg, but the Log Cabin Pancake House is worth the hustle and bustle. I’ll second Cades Cove for sure. The hikes will likely be crowded but Chimney tops, Mt LeConte are both good ones. Be sure to check out Clingmans Dome and New Found Gap also!

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Family is renting a cabin in Sevierville, Tn for a Christmas function. Any suggestions on activities or "must do's"? We will be there about a week starting Dec 18. Not sure what to expect for weather since rain/snow has been forecast. Any places/things to avoid?? Thanks for any help. Any possibility of fishing places accessible for small kids, weather permitting of course. We will be cooking a big pot of pastalaya and another pot of gumbo to see if we can attract some bears (just kidding).
Dollywood at Christmas is really wonderful and if you have kids, they’ll love it. I agree with an above poster that the Cherohala Skyway is definitely worth doing but it’s perhaps a little out of your way. Traffic will be bad in Sevierville and likely at a standstill in Gatlinburg. If you can get them, I’d recommend getting dinner reservations in advance. Finally, I understand that the stream that runs through Gatlinburg (and maybe Pigeon Forge???) has pretty solid trout fishing right in town. I think you need an additional town permit to fish in Gatlinburg. I’d recommend buying Don Kirk’s “Flyfisher’s Guide to Tennessee” on kindle and then you will have all the area fishing info on your phone. Other than John Holt’s two part guide series on Montana, it’s probably the best and most comprehensive state specific angling guide that I’ve ever purchased. I hope y’all have a Merry Christmas up there!
I’m not much on Gatlinburg, but the Log Cabin Pancake House is worth the hustle and bustle. I’ll second Cades Cove for sure. The hikes will likely be crowded but Chimney tops, Mt LeConte are both good ones. Be sure to check out Clingmans Dome and New Found Gap also!

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
My kids were 4 & 8 last year when we went over spring break. They loved the aquarium and we did the pirate dinner show; don't think either of them blinked the entire time. Buy tickets now if you want to go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Thanks KHNC. Fishing is usually artificials from the shore?? Or fly rod?? Are rainbows and browns in that area? We have a stream across from the cabin, so I'm thinking the kids can harass the fish there if nothing else. It should be a good time. It will be the first Christmas we are spending out of Louisiana-We wanted to try something different this year.
I like to throw small curly tail swimbaits on 1/4oz jigheads. Mostly smallmouth bass in the river. There probably are some trout streams around, however, the fishing license is outrageous for trout fishing. Kids may be young enough to not need one tho. I havent trout fished around there but its popular so im sure there are some creeks or rivers close to hit.