Favorite 300 Win round

DMurphy

FNG
I am taking a 300 Win Mag to hunt elk this coming fall. I had planned to shoot a variety of manufacturers and weights to find the one that I liked best, but the ammo shortage has put a damper on my ability and financial willingness to try too many different rounds. I am thinking I will narrow my experiment list to three or four. Is there a specific round that you suggest I be sure to put on my list?

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
My X-bolt Max Long Range has a 1:8 twist and shoots 212 ELD-X well. 76.1gr H1000, 215M Primer, 3.595" COAL. Ammo scarcity makes reloading attractive

I’m shooting 200 grain Eld-x out of my Bergara 300 win. I have harvested 2 elk with this bullet and have been satisfied with performance. Accuracy is excellent.

Depends if you are looking for Factory ammo or re-load. My gun shoots factory ammo well.
I use 180 Grn. Barnes X Vortex ammo from Barnes for Copper states. I also like 180 Grn Nosler partitions from Nosler.
I think the Barnes X flies better for longer shots but the NP has better hitting power in my opinion.

wyodan

WKR
180 gr Sierra Gameking. I've been using them for the last 20 years, always work great.

Clarence

WKR
200grain nosler accubond is my preference to 500 yards. Not the best choice for much further than that. My

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Yeah, I should have specified....looking at factory loads.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
For availability sake, I would looks at 180gr nosler partitions and accubonds

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Thanks. Looks like I better buy a bunch and hide a bunch more the next time I see these in stock!

Ralphie

WKR
I use 200 partitions that I hand load, but for factory and with today’s shortages I’d be happy with just about any reasonable load.

Forest

WKR
Can't go wrong with 180gr accubond or partition. Available in a few factory loads. (Nosler, federal, etc.)
I used the new 200gr terminal ascent from federal this year. Very impressed and will use it again on elk no problem. Factory ammo with a bonded bullet that shot just over 1/2 moa is a winner in my book.
Might also check out the semi-custom ammo guys. Like choice ammunition, pendleton, etc. Broadens your bullet choices and availability is as good or better than factory at this point.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Can't go wrong with 180gr accubond or partition. Available in a few factory loads. (Nosler, federal, etc.)
I used the new 200gr terminal ascent from federal this year. Very impressed and will use it again on elk no problem. Factory ammo with a bonded bullet that shot just over 1/2 moa is a winner in my book.
Might also check out the semi-custom ammo guys. Like choice ammunition, pendleton, etc. Broadens your bullet choices and availability is as good or better than factory at this point.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Great info. Thank you.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
I have been shooting barnes 180grain Ttsx's (300WM) for the last several seasons with effevtive results on game out to 600 yds so far. Specific to elk, I shot a decent 5x5 raghorn at 435 and he never took a step.

I am in the same boat with the ammo shortage and will be trying out the new Norma bondstrike long range in 180 grain. Haven't done any testing yet but will report back if I ever get to the range.
I look forward to hearing what you find.

willidru

WKR
My gun likes the 200 gr ELD-X

I would say grab 5 boxes of different ammo and see what you specific 300 likes. My Tikka liked the 180 gr Barnes and my custom liked the 200 gr ELD-X and the Federal Premium.