Favorite/best headlamp?

If I were interested in Zebras, these are the models I would look at. I took their comparison sheet and narrowed it down based on battery platform of 18650 and also high CRI. Hope this helps someone. It narrows it down a bunch. Personally, I would not consider any other of the Zebras. Your left with two options for a handheld and 4 for a headlamp.
1644959550159.png

Like everyone else I have a ton of different lights but use 3 primarily. I use a Nitecore NU 32 rechargeable for most of my hunting. It has both white and red light and it is about perfect for me. I have a Nitecore HC60 rechareable that I keep in my small game vest. Bright white light, in case I need to go find my dog or truck. I also have an old small Cabelas light that weighs next to nothing but is great in a hammock or tent and middle of the night breaks. Not too bright for close quarters and a red light to retain my night vision. It normally stays with my sleeping gear.

Did no one notice the LED's are different in the Sofirn and the PEAX??? I got excited for a bit, added a few to the cart, then read the specs on the two. The PEAX is an XM-L2 @ 1000 lumens. The Sifrn D25LR has an LH351D 5000K CRI 90 @ 500 lumens. Definitely not the same headlamp. Same shell, different guts. Peax may be terribly marked up, but it's also twice the power (for those looking for max performance vs budget option).

I've run a Zebralight H600w Mk IV 18650 XHP35 (@1400+ lumens) Neutral White Headlamp for several years. Great battery life, good color, and super bright. They have one with an XHP50.2 @1600+ lumens light that looks intriguing, but I have zero experience with it. *My needs mostly revolve around a super bright light for grizzly country*.... which is not what everyone needs.

Fair warning if you are stepping up to high output 18650 battery headlamps: those puppies can get hot 🔥! (I have two pair of Kuiu pants with patches covering holes in the pockets)

In researching a little after i bought the sofirns, i think all the d25 lights are about the same, you can google d25 and whatever led you want and someone will be manufacturing it. Boruit makes a d25 with the xm-l2 in it for cheaper than the Sofirns. It says 77outdoor on the bottom of the sofirns, which I guess is the manufacturer.

For another d25 style steal, this black slonik one is discounted about $10 more than the other colors, and there’s a $20 coupon. So this one, while probably not as nice as the sofirns is $6. Might be worth a shot, I bought one.

SLONIK 500 Lumen Rechargeable LED ...ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_WHHBCF1P34YMMSGY84B9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did no one notice the LED's are different in the Sofirn and the PEAX??? I got excited for a bit, added a few to the cart, then read the specs on the two. The PEAX is an XM-L2 @ 1000 lumens. The Sifrn D25LR has an LH351D 5000K CRI 90 @ 500 lumens. Definitely not the same headlamp. Same shell, different guts. Peax may be terribly marked up, but it's also twice the power (for those looking for max performance vs budget option).

I noticed the lumen difference but ended up getting the Sofirn model without the red LED so it's also 1000 lumens. I've mostly given up on red/green lamps. I actually have an all red Zebralamp but don't find myself using it very often, and any other headlamp one owned the colored LED's haven't been bright enough to be worth using for me. The Peax and Sofirn might be different but I've been getting by just fine without that feature so it's not important to be. I know for others it's a very important feature and I get it, just not critical for me so that's why I went with the Sofrin I ordered.

I don't expect to like it as much as my trusty Zebra but for the cost it's worth a shot as a backup/loaner headlamp for the wife and kids. Time will tell.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Recently bought a Black Diamond Storm 400 to replace my ~seemingly~ 5lb rechargeable headlamp from Amazon.

This thing is sweet! Coming from the world of engineering, IP67 is a big deal to me. Also, having a power lock feature to keep the batteries from draining in my pack was a necessity. Dimming feature is really cool allowing you to pick the perfect brightness. I think they're still on sale at most places for around $37. Moosejaw?

Cons- Requires 4 AAA batteries making it a little heavier than most name brand models. (still only a drop in the bucket compared to my rechargeable Amazon headlamp)

I used one of the D25LR's last night putting out hay and feeding stock after dark, in the rain. The 500LM is more than enough light for me. I understand if someone is searching or needs the extra distance and view but for my hunting/field use of hiking in/out the lowest and next to lowest levels will cover my needs (usually in red). Of course the higher white light will be nice to have as well if needed. For my use, the 1000LM is way more than I would need...the 500LM is more than I would normally use.

When I started the post asking about recommendations I really had no idea where it would go. After reading all the responses and looking at the recommendations there were a lot of good choices. The D25LR seemed like a lot for the $, especially with the discount, so I went with it. Thanks to all for the recommendations, I really do appreciate it.

Trying not to repeat too much of what has been said about zebralights, but I love them. Converting to 18650 batteries costs a bit, but they are great, they last a long time and have a great ratio of weight to available juice.

For a backup I was carrying a petzel tikka, but when you look at weight, I put a second zebralight handheld with a spot lens and battery in my pack. If I loose my headlamp I have a great backup, if I need the throw of a spot, I have it. I also have a backup battery for the headlamp inside the handheld. The two lights make a light versatile package.

Look a the zebralights with neutral white high CRI to narrow down, but really they are all better than standard lights. For a headlamp I like floody as a lens. For a handheld, I like a spot. There aren't that many options when you look at them once you narrow to lens type and battery type.

If the light is backordered, just order it, they will ship in a couple days, I've never had a hold up on a backorder.

One of the best things about the lights is how easy they are to lock off, just turn the cap 1/4 turn every time to take it off and 1/4 turn when you put it on. It is a very natural motion.

I used one of the D25LR's last night putting out hay and feeding stock after dark, in the rain. The 500LM is more than enough light for me. I understand if someone is searching or needs the extra distance and view but for my hunting/field use of hiking in/out the lowest and next to lowest levels will cover my needs (usually in red). Of course the higher white light will be nice to have as well if needed. For my use, the 1000LM is way more than I would need...the 500LM is more than I would normally use.

When I started the post asking about recommendations I really had no idea where it would go. After reading all the responses and looking at the recommendations there were a lot of good choices. The D25LR seemed like a lot for the $, especially with the discount, so I went with it. Thanks to all for the recommendations, I really do appreciate it.

You are welcome... I am glad you like your Sofirn. I hope to hear from others as they use them more here soon.

I've used my fenix HM50R on every trip I've been on for the past 4 years including day hunts and it's still going strong. packs small, rechargeable and brighter then the sun when you need it.

I got the Sofirn D25L and have used it a little around the house to test. Admittedly I know nothing about good headlamps but when compared to my latest cheap one from Black Ovis (3 triple AAAs) it's not even close. The Sofirn is much brighter and feels way more solid. I'm pretty happy with it.

Back