Favorite Terrain WY

Gonewest

WKR
What’s your favorite country in Wyoming to hunt antelope? I’ve hunt or hunted with friends in units 22,43,45,46 and 63. I’m of the opinion that you can find a good buck in any unit. I’m looking at burning my 4 points this year. I’d like to hunt some cool country. What unit and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
With the G&F cutting over 10k Antelope tags, choose your hunt area wisely. It make take a lot more points to draw than it did last year most of the hunt areas.

My favorite terrain is literally any terrain that holds Antelope!

With the G&F cutting over 10k Antelope tags, choose your hunt area wisely. It make take a lot more points to draw than it did last year most of the hunt areas.

My favorite terrain is literally any terrain that holds Antelope!

It’s only 3600~ type 1 or 2 tags but yea units with less than 100 non res tags could definitely see some point creep

Curious where you got your info. Is there any published info as to how many tags will be reduced in each unit? If so, could you please post a link? I can't find anything...Thanks

It’s an article from go hunt saying

“For 2021, WGFD is recommending a reduction of 3,650 any antelope licenses and 5,775 doe/fawn licenses. “

Not sure how many tags in each unit. But if non res tags go from 100 to 80 in a unit you will need more points for sure but if they take a lot of tags from like 23 which has almost 1000 tags at low points it may not hurt guys with 4-6 points

BuzzH

WKR
This isn't just about the loss of the tags due to quota reductions that are going to decrease NR odds.

Resident interest in pronghorn tags has been increasing substantially as well. With fewer tags for Residents first choice, they are going to put in for second and third choice tags that they will draw.

That means a lot less tags rolling from the leftover Resident tag pool to the NR pool in the initial draw.

Residents that normally don't apply for second and third choices are going to this year, even if they end up pitching their tag in the trash.

JFK

WKR
This isn't just about the loss of the tags due to quota reductions that are going to decrease NR odds.

Resident interest in pronghorn tags has been increasing substantially as well. With fewer tags for Residents first choice, they are going to put in for second and third choice tags that they will draw.

That means a lot less tags rolling from the leftover Resident tag pool to the NR pool in the initial draw.

Residents that normally don't apply for second and third choices are going to this year, even if they end up pitching their tag in the trash.
Why would a guy put in for a tag he doesn’t plan on using?

BuzzH

WKR
Why would a guy put in for a tag he doesn’t plan on using?
Lots of reasons.

Main one being most hunters don't put as much effort into a second choice and apply to either try out a new area, or hunt if they get time.

I've filled all my second choice tags except last year. The pronghorn numbers were low enough that I thought it was better to for-go killing one. Didn't seem appropriate to kill one based on what I was, or more to the point, what I wasn't seeing. Passed maybe 40-50 buck pronghorn in 2.5 days of hunting, which is pathetic from what it was even 5 years ago. I'd pass more than that in a half day hunt.

I've also bought additional buck tags every year in the second draw or OTC. I've hunted maybe 50% of them if I had nothing else going on. If I was busy with my own, higher priority hunts or helping others, I just considered them a contribution.

I have shot some pretty good bucks on those additional and second choice tags but they just get put lower on the totem pole than a good first choice tag.

wytx

WKR
Rolling hills with sage grouse . Too old for crawling a mile now in the flats.

There are some years where we do not fill our tags, no mature buck found, no tag punched. I pass on the young bucks, would rather take a mature doe than a young buck.