FCS Playoffs

Southeast

FNG
It was a pleasure to get to see this SDSU team in person several times this year. Definitely one of the FCS all-time greats! They've done a lot to grow the fanbase here in SD over the last 3-4 years.

kpete

FNG
Casual NDSU fan here, we made it farther than expected but Montana put up a great fight. Congrats to SDSU on a good win!

Had prior plans with the kids so didn’t catch the last two rounds. Did watch highlights. Congrats to MT and SD. Imagine the dominance NDSU would’ve had during the dynasty run if they were allowed to keep their players an extra year 😉 But seriously, kudos to those guys for staying committed and sticking it out.

Now we get to see how SD and MT fair fighting the portal and NIL. Hard to imagine the SDSU QB sticks it out having his whole starting D and O moving out and likely a 7 figure payday waiting. Read an article last night their OC already took a job at Northwestern and everyone thinks QB will follow. That same OC is from Anchorage and had the AK Gatorade player of the yr from here in the valley committed to SDSU. Will be interesting to see if he changes course now.

Scoot

WKR
I didn't realize all of that was happening at SDSU. I imagine you're right and there will be a mass exodus. Most schools that see some success are dealing with this mess now. I know I'm getting long in the tooth when I say things like "this stuff is BS and wrecking the game", but it's true.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah not a big fan either.

We (Grizzlies) have benefited from the portal, but also the opposite. I think one tiny advantage to MSU and U of M is that both are located in pretty nice areas, so some kids stick around for that. Others I'm sure couldn't give a tinker's damn about nice country :D

I said it earlier in the thread, but both the Bobcats and Grizzlies field a lot of "home town" kids- both in the ballpark of 45-50 kids each. Not sure about the Dakota teams- I know the Bisons recruited heavily (and successfully) from the MN & WI areas.

Scoot

WKR
Yep, NDSU's roster is filled with kids from the general area- ND, SD, MN, and WI. They certainly pull in kids from elsewhere too, but those four states make up a lot of the roster. Unfortunately for NDSU, the scenery around Fargo isn't quite what you have around the MSU and U of M campuses.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
Well now NDSU has an "Associate Head Coach" instead of an OC in the coaches transfer portal. :rolleyes:

I don't like the portal either, but coaches can leave for million dollar pay raises, "student athletes" should have similar rights..

jmez

WKR
NDSU and SDSU will also get a fair number of kids from Omaha metro.

Rick Neuheisel had a good take on this on the radio a couple months ago. The portal and NIL are here to stay, it's the new normal. FCS schools would be wise to contact a few FBS schools. Try to set up a cooperative. Steer players back and forth both directions to the mutual benefit of both. Work with it rather than against.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

MT257

WKR
Well now NDSU has an "Associate Head Coach" instead of an OC in the coaches transfer portal. :rolleyes:

I don't like the portal either, but coaches can leave for million dollar pay raises, "student athletes" should have similar rights..
What does that even mean? Associate head coach? I didn’t realize there was a coaches portal too..

NDSU and SDSU will also get a fair number of kids from Omaha metro.
Ya, as a former Nebraska coach, Bohl kept those relationships with Omaha high schools alive and it they have stuck. My wife is from Omaha and a husker fan. I give her a lot of shit about all the Omaha talent the Huskers leave on the table for out of state kids. Easton Stick (Chargers backup QB and NDSU multiple national champion) is from Omaha. Cole Payton who will take over QB for NDSU in 2024 and who everyone keeps saying in a future NFL guy is also from Omaha.

I think the associate head coach thing was just a nod to keep Tyler Roehl around. He probably felt like he deserved the head spot and was understandably a bit bitter. So they worked out a way to still give him a promotion. And I think keeping him in town was a very big part in keeping all the players he recruited out of the portal. Maybe that means he won’t be calling plays next year and we don’t have to watch some trick play for a two point conversion with the game on the line in 2OT when you can run for 3 yards at will…..haha

I’ll add that I don’t blame these kids really for taking NIL deals. It stinks as a fan, but good for them. I’ve had employers train me up and give me a chance, but it was still on me to excel. And when I do, I see nothing wrong with going and looking for a new and better offer and giving a current employer the chance to meet the offer and pay my true worth. A lot of these kids will be physical Ed teachers in 3 years. If they want to put a few hundred grand in the bank to boost their career, who am I to judge.

For the SDSU QB, it’s an interesting decision. He’s already on NFL’s radar. So do you stay at SDSU another year and dominate lesser competition and put up numbers the NFL can’t ignore. Kinda go the Carson Wentz route. Possibly get injured and have no payday. Or go to a mid tier P5 school and run for your life in the new B10, maybe have a few big games, but possibly lose the interest of the NFL. But you have a cool million at least locked up.

74Bronco

Lil-Rokslider
What does that even mean? Associate head coach? I didn’t realize there was a coaches portal too..
Coaches Portal.... They can move at anytime to anywhere. In fact, the national conference for coaches is this week, plenty of networking going on right now. Along with some headaches...
Some of the assistant coaches or position coaches are the main recruiting influence to a certain kid. No difference if my boss leaves and I don't like the next one, I can leave. Kids should be as free as the adults to ignore the contract they sign.

jmez

WKR
Associate HC is simply a tag to justify a higher salary to keep someone on staff.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
I don't agree. I flatly don't get that rationale at all.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If Harbaigh does take a head coaching job in the NFL, Michigan can always hire Conner Stalions, he knows how to win. :)

KurtR

WKR
I don't agree. I flatly don't get that rationale at all.
Why should the ncaa get to make multi millions off the players and they live on nothing. If they would have used a little common sense it would not have came to this but the ncaa is getting to sleep in the bed they made.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
The current way of NCAA sports will soon be a different animal all together if they don't come up with an equitable way to settle the portal and NIL issues.