Federal premium ammunition availability.

Good day. I’m sure this question has been posed numerous times. I know that hunting ammunition is readily available for the hunting population in the lower 48 states, compared to your friends up here in Canada.

For the better part of a year i’ve been checking from one end of the country to the other with no luck. Looking for Federal Premium ammo 300 win mag Nosler partition??

Have they been available down south, or are they as rare as hens teeth for you also.

If they can be sourced is the pricing outrageous. It just seems odd they are so scarce?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I shoot Barnes 180 gr. TTSX, 300 Winmag. I get mine from sportsman's wearhouse. I order them and get them about a week later. Are there any sportsman's up there? Not what you are looking for, but a damn fine round.

My classified ad still has a few premium 300WM cartridges. Just sold off my 4.5 boxes of federal Nosler AB for $50/box but have plenty of others...

Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
I have on occasion seen Federal 300 mag Nosler Accubond but no Partition. I've been shooting the Federal 200 gr. Terminal Ascent in my 300 mag and it shoots well under MOA and has been readily available.

I think Federal manufacturers in large batches of specific loads. I have been waiting for the trophy bonded tip to be back in stock anywhere for the past year.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I think Federal manufacturers in large batches of specific loads. I have been waiting for the trophy bonded tip to be back in stock anywhere for the past year.

I'll second this.

Seems to me that since COVID they (and almost every other major manufacturer) severely limited their offerings.

The variety just isn't there anymore.

I think they quit making the TBT and switched over to the Terminal Ascent bullet for the 300 WM (Haven't seen anything official but it appears so.)

I can find tons of different TBT ammo in other calibers, (but not 300WM). The Terminal Ascent is basically the same design as the TBT, but in the 300WM it's a 200gr bullet as opposed to the 165 or 180gr.

I used to shoot Federal's 3" Barnes Blue Tipped Expander 12ga slugs for deer, but I haven't seen them in 4 years, so I had to switch slugs. Federal makes THEIR version of tipped copper slugs which I tried, but after trying different slugs, the Remington Accutips grouped the best, so I switched.

Federal used to make ammo with almost everyone's bullet--they're even now loading Hornady bullets--but they have def cut back on their different loads.

I think they quit making the TBT and switched over to the Terminal Ascent bullet for the 300 WM (Haven't seen anything official but it appears so.)

I can find tons of different TBT ammo in other calibers, (but not 300WM). The Terminal Ascent is basically the same design as the TBT, but in the 300WM it's a 200gr bullet as opposed to the 165 or 180gr.
This certainly seems to be the case and I tend to agree. They haven't changed their website to show as "discontinued" however. Not a huge deal, it just shot particularly well out of my rifle and it performed well for me. I've moved on with my life and found another load that shoots well. I have learned that once I find something that works, buy an absurd amount of boxes because it will likely become out of stock as they move on to produce the next batch of ammo.

Rich M

WKR
Yup, if it works get at least a case and dont waste it target shooting. If yer young enough get 2 or 3 cases.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
I was a die hard Federal Premium fan up until covid for just about everything—now I’ve switched to Barnes, Boss, and Winchester Long Beard XR; I’m not looking back…

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
I think the biggest thing the past 3 years was availability (and extreme prices!)

Like the ammo binge during covid and component and worker shortages meant people couldn't go buy 3 boxes of ammo before deer season like they used to. You couldn't "test out" ammo to see if it worked in your gun. If you found a stock of ammo and it was similar weight. Guys bought it just to have something that shot. And if it grouped well, they just used that ammo.

I honestly think that's why Federal Terminal Ascent was readily available. If you go back it was brand new ammo a year or 2 before covid and I doubt a lot of people tried it. And people held out looking for their specific ammo.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up on Nosler. Could never find what I wanted over the past few years. Plenty of other options out there now.

MadeInTheRain

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about to make the switch from Federal premium after I run through my current lot. I haven't been able to find my preferred cartridge in two years.

LostArra

WKR
I'm a Federal/Partition fan and I've wondered why they advertise. If the customer can't buy it why spend the $ on ads.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'm a Federal/Partition fan and I've wondered why they advertise. If the customer can't buy it why spend the $ on ads.
It was my friends ammo of choice until he couldn't get ti. I talked him into Barnes, and he hasn't looked back.