Fieldcraft is about to be back on the menu boys

Grumman

WKR
I guess it was my understanding the Forbes 24b was the long action.

The 24B is the long action. I believe all of the Colt Light Rifles were the long or magnum action. Opinions vary but the short action in the Forbes\Nula was the sweet spot.

OutKast Arms is doing the upgrades and service work now and are getting very good reviews from what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen several very clean ones on GB over the last couple years going going in the 800-900 range. I think a lot of folks would buy them and send them to Melvin to get a near Nula at a cheaper price. Not sure if his shop is still upgrading the old Forbes and Colt Lights or not...

Yeah I think you've confused Forbes with CLR, which are less desirable. They were basically a model 28 with an injection molded stock, bolt components had issues and the trigger wasn't great. Melvin would do a conversion, adding his stock, trigger and making changes to the bolt.

I’m just here to show off my ULA. Turns out my wife’s grandma was Melvin’s secretary back in the day and had one made for her husband. No one in the family hunted, so it just sat in the gun case. Along comes me, and I talk my father in law into letting me take it to Montana, and I’m yet to return it. What a dream to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.png
    IMG_0110.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 167

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just here to show off my ULA. Turns out my wife’s grandma was Melvin’s secretary back in the day and had one made for her husband. No one in the family hunted, so it just sat in the gun case. Along comes me, and I talk my father in law into letting me take it to Montana, and I’m yet to return it. What a dream to shoot.

That's a nic one, what's it chambered in?

gtriple

WKR
That's an awesome story along with an awesome rifle!

sneaky

"DADDY"
The S/A FC is easily the best over the counter Killing Rifle,ever offered................
Lol. I've shot multiple Kimber Adirondacks in 6.5CM and 7-08 that gave up absolutely nothing to a Fieldcraft. Shorter, lighter, cheaper... and tack drivers all of them. FC is a good rifle, but it's not the best OTC killing rifle ever offered. Day drinking is nice, but stay away from the keyboard when doing so.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I have an 84M and a FC. Like ‘em both. The 2.82” limit on the 84M can be an annoyance. The FC tends to shoot much better. Though both shoot some loads well enough.

ianpadron

WKR
Lol. I've shot multiple Kimber Adirondacks in 6.5CM and 7-08 that gave up absolutely nothing to a Fieldcraft. Shorter, lighter, cheaper... and tack drivers all of them. FC is a good rifle, but it's not the best OTC killing rifle ever offered. Day drinking is nice, but stay away from the keyboard when doing so.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
The momentary lapses in Kimber QC used to bug me (still kinda do) but now I appreciate that it's led to dudes swearing them off as inferior to Tikkas, Fieldcrafts, etc.

Keeps the prices low on the used market and my collection growing nicely.

Big fan of the Montanas in particular. My 6.5 Montana is the most accurate rifle I own!

Need a kill with my .308 Mountain Ascent to top off the Kimber triple crown this season, 6.5 and .243 Montanas have had their glory already 🙌🏼

No frills killin' rifles by every metric, agreed!

I wish my Kimber would have been half the rifle my Fieldcraft is. But that is working with a sample of one for each. Glad the word is Kimber has their QC issues worked out - but will be excited if/when the Fieldcraft comes back out, especially given the Wilson Nula disappointment.

Any news on the FC? SHOT show unveiling maybe?
I talked to Talley this week as I was looking for a extra set of 1” lows for my Fieldcraft and the guy I talked to said that production on the Fieldcraft rings stopped a while back, but he was at some show in Texas recently this fall and Barrett told him that the Fieldcraft was coming back into production 2024 . The guy at Talley told me they are holding off on producing Talley light weight rings until Fieldcrafts are starting to be made again. Will they come back? I’m not sure but there is some promising news.