Firearm nihilism - does everything actually just suck?

Anyone ever get frustrated looking in their safe and feel like you’re spinning wheels as fast as you can to get nowhere.

My swanky AR is realistically no better than if I’d just bought a basic ass 6920 and possibly less reliable

My custom hunting rifle doesn’t kill anymore animals than the old rifle it replaced that cost less than 1/2 as much, or an off the shelf tikka.

My suppressor is nice but it sends me down a rabbit hole of aftermarket stocks trying to get the balance back like I want it, and I still really need to wear ear pro anyway.

My large frame gasser was the coolest idea that I haven’t even considered shooting in years.

All pistols blow in general.

It all just feels like golf at this point. Buying more crap to pretend that’s gonna make me chip better. Always some change in equipment I need to do to perfect a build almost nothing is ever just like “yeah, I wouldn’t change a thing on that”

Damnit this post is as useless as my 18 pound gasser

bnsafe

WKR
yep, just bought a new rifle, put a new stock on it and new scope. Now wonder if I shoulda just bought some 77 gr tmk and took the ar out instead. it goes on and on. and I dont even wanna kill anything anymore.

I found my nirvana in calibers finally. I landed on a 25-284 with 133 bergers. I went through several fazes before I landed here. It's on a tikka action with a 21 inch steel barrel and a 5 inch Suppressor. It's not a magnum but it has speed like a magnum. It's not a big bullet but it's not a small bullet. Recoil is mild as far as I'm concerned and I can spot my impacts. It wears a nightforce Atacr in seekins rings on a 419 rail permanently bonded to the action that sits comfortably in a folding xlr chassis.

Idk if this is YOUR end all be all. But if it isn't mine It's damn close. I've played the scope and caliber games, the heavy and light games, and others in between. Turns out the more I play the more I find middle ground the place to be. Not just with guns either. Went ultralight ...regretted it. Went heavy...regretted it. Damn middle ground is boring but it's a hell of a place to be.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Anyone ever get frustrated looking in their safe and feel like you’re spinning wheels as fast as you can to get nowhere.

My swanky AR is realistically no better than if I’d just bought a basic ass 6920 and possibly less reliable

My custom hunting rifle doesn’t kill anymore animals than the old rifle it replaced that cost less than 1/2 as much, or an off the shelf tikka.

My suppressor is nice but it sends me down a rabbit hole of aftermarket stocks trying to get the balance back like I want it, and I still really need to wear ear pro anyway.

My large frame gasser was the coolest idea that I haven’t even considered shooting in years.

All pistols blow in general.

It all just feels like golf at this point. Buying more crap to pretend that’s gonna make me chip better. Always some change in equipment I need to do to perfect a build almost nothing is ever just like “yeah, I wouldn’t change a thing on that”

Damnit this post is as useless as my 18 pound gasser

You should take up bows.........

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps you should compartment the rifles/builds in the same area as the hunting its self.....In my mind its very similar......
research of an area = research of components and or combos
tag acquisition = Parts gathered
load developement = Stalking
Developed load and awesome groups on targets = Animal down.......

restart process 😂

I get it! I can spend a year planning the “perfect” build. Buy all the parts over time after a lot of research. Then you get done and sit back and think cool now what. I think some of us just like to tinker and are always looking for slight improvements.

This is me for sure. A new build is cool when planning, buying all the parts, having it chambered and assembled and working up those groups. When it shoots bug holes I get bored again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Good warning, my goal is to avoid that, but I'm certainly susceptible to it. I'm just poor'ish and it is knives and packs that I could afford to churn through.

My rifle churn, so far has been to solve unacceptable problems. I'm planning to be done with that, other than perhaps playing with barrels.... and damn it, there goes that idea.

jimh406

WKR
It all just feels like golf at this point.
The problem is you golf. Just joking ... there is an expression for fishing. The fishing equipment isn't designed to catch more fish ... it's designed to catch fisherman.

Maybe you could try simplifying your hunting equipment and sell some of what you have to buy a few well chosen firearms with accessories. Or maybe, you are trolling ... back to fishing. ;)

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
I have given up and went to a switch barrel set up. I like my chassis, like my action, like my scope.....so I have two bolts and two mag styles and just play the game a barrel at a time. It makes the neurosis slightly more affordable.

I totally get it. I’ve been back and forth and forth and back, custom and factory, factory and custom, standard to magnum, magnum to standard. If you end up finding nirvana, let me know how you got there.
I'm not at Nirvana but I started improving mentality-wise when I stopped spending my entire budget on rifles and instead started building out my other gear like tripod, binos, pack, etc. I don't know about the OP but I had spent probably over $20,000 on three rifle setups (in 2 years) and had almost no other good gear that I would need to hunt.

OP
DangerRanger
Maybe you could try simplifying your hunting equipment and sell some of what you have to buy a few well chosen firearms with accessories. Or maybe, you are trolling ... back to fishing. ;)
Yes, I’ve been selling guns to build out one better gun for each area I actually use. I just can’t get the hunting rifle how I want it. Or maybe I don’t actually know what I want? Or maybe I just need to use what I have.

Stock too heavy… move to lighter stock… balance with can sucks… spend another grand on a ti can…. Round and round we go

My current comp gun is the only one I’ve had yet that I truly don’t daydream of changing at all. So I guess it is possible!
BA303963-3FFB-4FD5-8CFC-7BEB202358E0.jpeg

Stock too heavy… move to lighter stock… balance with can sucks… spend another grand on a ti can…. Round and round we go
God it feels good to not care about the balance of my rifles, it seems like a major headache. Mine tend to balance just forward of the mag-well unintentionally, which happens to be good for my type of shooting/hunting anyway. But no forethought or effort went into making it that way.

All of my rifles are stock. The only requirement I have is that they hit where I am aiming. But, I have too many. I actually hunt with five different rifles and they all get their turn.