Firearm nihilism - does everything actually just suck?

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Anytime I get gear ADHD or GAS, I remember what I heard this old military spec ops type guy say many years ago. It was something to the effect of, "Amateurs worry about hardware (gear & gadgets), but the pros worry about software (knowledge & skills). I try hard to keep that in mind whenever the thought of a new rifle or bow starts creeping in. I need to spend more trying shooting what I've got and improving my skills rather than buying more crap. I'd imagine most guys would be better off buying a bunch of ammo and enrolling in a long range shooting class rather than buying a semi-custom rifle.

There's also the saying about the old guy that's been hunting forever and only has one rifle probably knows how to use it. Again, software>hardware.

JCS271

FNG
I got to a point with all of my guns and gear that I realized I no longer had stuff, but stuff had me. I made the decision right there to sell off about 20 nice rifles that I hadn't shot in years and take that money to book an African hunt I had dreamed about for over 30 years.

It ended up being the greatest adventure of my life and I look at the pictures in my office and home everyday.

cc8ce37a.jpg

951b1a04.jpg

It has been some years now and while I literally could not name half of the guns that I sold, I still get a smile every single time I think about that Adventure.

c492cc57.jpg

I'm at a point now where I probably only have 8 or 10 guns of all variety that I actually use regularly. I think it's about time to thin The Herd and take another grand Adventure while I'm still healthy enough to get it done.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I got to a point with all of my guns and gear that I realized I no longer had stuff, but stuff had me. I made the decision right there to sell off about 20 nice rifles that I hadn't shot in years and take that money to book an African hunt I had dreamed about for over 30 years.

It has been some years now and while I literally could not name half of the guns that I sold, I still get a smile every single time I think about that Adventure.

I'm at a point now where I probably only have 8 or 10 guns of all variety that I actually use regularly. I think it's about time to thin The Herd and take another grand Adventure while I'm still healthy enough to get it done.
That’s awesome. I had a similar realization a while back. My initial cut was to sell everything that hadn’t been fired in the last two years.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
Im right there with you. Me and a buddy were just talking about this subject getting ready for hunting season. The more money, gear, and time thats spent just seems to add complications and frustrations with diminishing returns on convenience and lethality. Ended up short on time this year to prep my new rifle before the season and ended up with a baffle strike on my new/first suppressor. Meanwhile my old 700 bdl 7mag hunting rifle and savage axis 243 truck gun shoot dimes every time I double check them at the range.

Too bad I suffer from a debilitating inability to leave well enough alone....... (currently swapping rails and gas block on a ruger sfar and building 2 other 223 just for fun)

SwiftShot

WKR
Lots of people get the gear thinking it will result in the outcome. I will get a mountain rifle so I can go on a hunt in the mountains. Why because it is easier than getting in shape to do that hunt. You are the most important tool. Take care of that tool. Shoot, workout, train to hunt. I drive around with a bunc of elk calls. I would drive my kids nuts with cow calling while driving. Small things make a huge impact on success. Workout, call, and shoot often will make you more successful than a new rifle.
It is sort of like those gram wennies for hiking and backpacking. Sure your new 100 stove shaved off 4 ozs, but your still 30 lbs overweight man.

I will preach it all day. Gear can disappear but your skills and training remain. So go shoot, shoot and shoot, while your driving to the range try calling ect maybe stop off at the gym too.

Macintosh

WKR
When you can buy TIME to go cool places where this stuff is useful I’ll be a poor man. I’ll preorder all of it, already signed up for the notifications. Until then it’s all cosplay at some level.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kinda like the African hunter, I realized having six usable rifles and scopes I barely shot could be sold to buy one custom rifle and excellent scope that I love to shoot.

I change barrels rather than guns, and only when the new barrel can really be justified as a different caliber.

Unrelated to buying or selling guns I also realized that going on a cheap adventure was better than buying another something. I loved my Kowa, but it was $1300 locked up in something I wasn’t taking on hunts so I sold it and put it to Alaska.

Some just don’t realize they can live their dreams if they focus on them. They don’t know how or don’t have a partner. A good portion would go for it, but they don’t know how. Don’t judge them.

Others, well, “judge them” lol.

The “why people buy rifles” is the same for any collectible, it gives them pleasure. Guns are cool. Guns are pretty. A lot of those guys are like sports nuts who collect football jerseys. It’s not like they are gonna go out on the football field to play. They like the idea and sport of it but they are spectators rather than participants.

They may go out to the park and talk about throwing a football, and toss around a genuine NFL football. It gives them pleasure. But, they don’t want to get it messed up and aren’t there for the excitement and work of being in the game.

Dented

WKR
I've got 1 center fire rifle that I use for everything. A 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotguns. A couple e of 22 rifles and a revolver. I've got carry pistols that double as bear protection. Everything else is gone. And now all of my toy money goes into travel and hunting. I've never been happier. 😊

It was a change of philosophy and it wasn't exactly easy, but it was absolutely worth it. I get toy lust constantly, but if I can't see a high use for a new toy, it doesn't get bought.

I do miss the joy of buying new firearms, and I love to wander gun shops. I hope I never get over that part of the change in approach.