Firearm nihilism - does everything actually just suck?

TaperPin

WKR
I have given up and went to a switch barrel set up. I like my chassis, like my action, like my scope.....so I have two bolts and two mag styles and just play the game a barrel at a time. It makes the neurosis slightly more affordable.
I’m waiting another year before only owning a couple of rifles, but a switch barrel gun has become as much or more fun than a dozen normal ones. It’s the grown up erector set, or box of legos, from my youth. As soon as it seems there are more barrels than are needed, a used barrel in an obscure wildcat, like a Gibbs, comes along and I learn an entire history lesson on something old, yet new. A 300 H&H barrel popped up on eBay and it’s something I would never in 100 years buy as a complete rifle, but it makes me want to dress up old timey and shoot a Canadian moose wearing a thick plaid lumber jack shirt and wool pants. I’m not a 30-06 guy, but an old beat up 06 barrel reminds me of the school maintenance guy who killed a near record book polar bear that was breaking into houses in his village. A good friend smoked a lot of elk with his 8rem mag - another rifle I would never buy. An old timer - the best elk hunter I’ve ever known - uses a 257 Roberts - another gun I’d never buy on purpose.

I have four stocks, but in the history of Lego sets has anyone purposely reduced the number of any one type of block because it’s rarely used? 🙂

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
We’re all buying nice sportscars when we really want to be race car drivers. Meanwhile there’s a guy with a beat-to-hell Miata track car that could outdrive us in our fancy cars any day of the week.

Stop collecting and start racing.
That's true in so many hobbies. I have friends with $60-$80K built RZRs that take them out 5 days a year and drive them like a golf cart.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever get frustrated looking in their safe and feel like you’re spinning wheels as fast as you can to get nowhere.

My swanky AR is realistically no better than if I’d just bought a basic ass 6920 and possibly less reliable

My custom hunting rifle doesn’t kill anymore animals than the old rifle it replaced that cost less than 1/2 as much, or an off the shelf tikka.

My suppressor is nice but it sends me down a rabbit hole of aftermarket stocks trying to get the balance back like I want it, and I still really need to wear ear pro anyway.

My large frame gasser was the coolest idea that I haven’t even considered shooting in years.

All pistols blow in general.

It all just feels like golf at this point. Buying more crap to pretend that’s gonna make me chip better. Always some change in equipment I need to do to perfect a build almost nothing is ever just like “yeah, I wouldn’t change a thing on that”

Damnit this post is as useless as my 18 pound gasser
There is the saying about the happiest people are those who do the most for others. I am without a hunting rifle right now and I am sure one of your safe queens would bring me immense joy. I could even have my family film my excitement during the unboxing. Just putting it out there…

PS - your match rifle looks great

Jonoton

FNG
In terms of human existence, we are not far removed from when the bow and arrow was a sea change for humans. So yeah, I get what you are saying; the differences between my own niftybits AR and my 6920 (unfailingly reliable) are rather meaningless, or what advantage a 300 prc has over a 30-06 over a 308 over a .300 Savage over a 30-30...
The differences are only in cost and effort we put in to chasing that last performance increase. Not in the end result and purported purpose of our efforts.

Jonoton

FNG
There is the saying about the happiest people are those who do the most for others. I am without a hunting rifle right now and I am sure one of your safe queens would bring me immense joy. I could even have my family film my excitement during the unboxing. Just putting it out there…

PS - your match rifle looks great
Where ya at?

There’s probably a 12 step program for this stuff. I have had or currently have more addictions than I care to talk about, this is no different. I heard a clip from that guy from friends that just passed say, after he takes one drink, he can’t stop. I can relate, with everything from alcohol to this.

Fatcamp

WKR
Tikka, Glock, Benelli Nova.

I'm very happy with my choices.

But I'm driving myself nuts with boat motors.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think we tend to worry the most about the things that matter the least. This past year or so I’ve focused on fitness and stopped ~ 20lbs, I’ve focused on breaking in boots, carrying heavy packs and climbing hills. My rifle choice isn’t going to be an issue

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think we tend to worry the most about the things that matter the least. This past year or so I’ve focused on fitness and stopped ~ 20lbs, I’ve focused on breaking in boots, carrying heavy packs and climbing hills. My rifle choice isn’t going to be an issue
That is because the things that actually matter are easy to conclude such, and rather than coming in a shiny package with a tracking number they come from sweat and pain and decay quickly without continued investment.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Some people really seem to dig collecting tons of guns they know they'll never shoot (or only rarely). Some don't care about the tool in the slightest, they're focused on the task and it just doesn't register for them beyond whether or not it works like it needs to. Some dig jumping on the latest trend or "builds" for flexin' on social.

I'd say that, in my mind, pride of ownership matters. Enjoying the service provided by the tools you own matters. It's beyond utility. Own things you enjoy and enjoy using... just remember that form follows function. ;-)

SwiftShot

WKR
They are only as good as you are. Stop buying guns and buy ammo. Spend some serious range time. I mean go put a few hundred rounds over a month through your hunting rifle.
I know people say, " I shoot". People are full of crap. I reload and pound out some ammo. Stop spending money on toys and spend some developing skills. People will say they shoot but fire less than 200 rounds a year. Shooters shoot in 4 digit numbers.

The spend trend is easy. You see the new shiny. Well its like buying home workout equipment. You need to really use it. I mean really use it.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
They are only as good as you are. Stop buying guns and buy ammo. Spend some serious range time. I mean go put a few hundred rounds over a month through your hunting rifle.
I know people say, " I shoot". People are full of crap. I reload and pound out some ammo. Stop spending money on toys and spend some developing skills. People will say they shoot but fire less than 200 rounds a year. Shooters shoot in 4 digit numbers.

The spend trend is easy. You see the new shiny. Well its like buying home workout equipment. You need to really use it. I mean really use it.

This is the best advice.

Everytime I want a new chambering I buy all the rounds for the end of life (suspected) for a barrel I have. When I smoke that barrel out I can have a new one. Its a one for one program.

And if people do have to spend money, they may benefit from looking up precision rifle classes in their area and going to one. Lot of people out there with rifles that fall into that category but they don't have the skills to take advantage of their own gear.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve always kind of done the opposite of what most say to do - I rarely hang onto rifles I’m not totally in love with, sold my 7mm RM, sold my ruger .308. I have two now (6.5 shirt action and 7mm long) and only way I’d consider adding another is a mini bolt gun for practice/son/daughter. Same goes for optics.

wyosam

WKR
I’m waiting another year before only owning a couple of rifles, but a switch barrel gun has become as much or more fun than a dozen normal ones. It’s the grown up erector set, or box of legos, from my youth. As soon as it seems there are more barrels than are needed, a used barrel in an obscure wildcat, like a Gibbs, comes along and I learn an entire history lesson on something old, yet new. A 300 H&H barrel popped up on eBay and it’s something I would never in 100 years buy as a complete rifle, but it makes me want to dress up old timey and shoot a Canadian moose wearing a thick plaid lumber jack shirt and wool pants. I’m not a 30-06 guy, but an old beat up 06 barrel reminds me of the school maintenance guy who killed a near record book polar bear that was breaking into houses in his village. A good friend smoked a lot of elk with his 8rem mag - another rifle I would never buy. An old timer - the best elk hunter I’ve ever known - uses a 257 Roberts - another gun I’d never buy on purpose.

I have four stocks, but in the history of Lego sets has anyone purposely reduced the number of any one type of block because it’s rarely used?

This is where I’ve landed. I’ve got a few rifles still, but each has a few barrels. I enjoy load development, and just shooting in general. Used barrels in oddballs are the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'm basically an optic revolving door, for some reason I buy and sell optics almost impulsively. Slowly getting all my rifle glass to NF though.

Nighforce, SWFA and Trijicon is where I ended up.

I'm open to others but that is where I am now.