First and Last Rifle - New Hunter

We truly are blessed to have rokslide. The amount of knowledge that you gain from so many people has helped me a bunch. With that said, everyone here has given you some great information.

I bought a rifle that I knew has very good reviews as far as how accurate and well made it is made. I ended up with the Bergara B-14 in .308. I believe I bought the cheapest version of it because I knew I would throw everything away and just keep the barrel of course. Buying a more expensive version this rifle wouldn't have given me a better quality barrel. It would only have given me a better stock and it would come with a scope. Out of the box this thing shot better than I thought it would. I am guilty of being skeptic of reviews no matter how good until I try things myself.

I bought the folding HNT26 chassis from MDT. You can get this chassis for a Tikka as well if you have made your mind about a Tikka. I have never owned one but with everything you read about them I don't doubt that they are excellent. I then bought the best scope I could afford, and one that I more than likely will never be able to need a more expensive version of. So I went with the Leupold VX-5HD. That thing is incredibly amazing. I have only shot it at 300 yards so far but in reality I don't think I would shoot an animal at over 400 yards if that.

Next up was the trigger. I went with a trigger tech Remington 700 diamond. Super premium feel which you could expect to be as crisp and smooth for the price you pay, which is definitely expensive.

Which brings me to my next point. I really, really like how the Bergara is a remington 700 clone. In case you don't know what that is, it just means that all of the holes for a scope and trigger and everything are an exact match of a remington 700. Meaning that you will be able to find tons of different parts for it since the R700 is one of the most popular rifles in the world.

Last but most importantly, is how ridiculously light this rifle is. Definitely built for a hunter! I was truly shocked at the amount of recoil you get too. It feels like the most gentle shove lol. You really could shoot this thing for hours and never feel like you've had enough as far as recoil goes. On top of that, one never stops to think about how cold a rifle is in the winter because it's normal for things to be cold. With the HNT26, the rifle is never cold. Which my hands are thankful for 😁.

Sorry for the long post 😅

You have literally the most un-rokslide combo imaginable. There are multi page threads arguing against every single piece of that setup.

Jon_G

WKR
You have literally the most un-rokslide combo imaginable. There are multi page threads arguing against every single piece of that setup.
Lol OK. So my chassis, scope and trigger are all shit then Hu? It's a good thing we all have our own opinion. Not everyone will find every setup perfect. I haven't found an issue with mine. You must have built the perfect rifle then since you read every post.

I would say functionally compromised in all respects. I'm glad you like your stuff, but promoting it as consensus recommendations from rokslide writ large is just false. That's where most of us started, not where we end up.

Jon_G

WKR
I would say functionally compromised in all respects. I'm glad you like your stuff, but promoting it as consensus recommendations from rokslide writ large is just false. That's where most of us started, not where we end up.
You literally called out even the scope and trigger. You said every single piece. There are some things that some roksliders have said they would modify here. I didn't find anyone saying it's complete trash. I guess I'll have to write to Leupold and triggertech to tell them that their products must be shit because you said they are.

270quest

WKR
Some version of the tikka easy button...I own many tikkas, killed a lot of game with them - IMHO as good as it gets off the factory shelf under $12-1500....

For the OP - Go buy a tikka superlite from sportsmans - 6.5, 7/08, or even a 270. Put a good pic base on it, some low profile pic rings (SWFA makes really good lower cost option) and top it with a solid optic - my vote would be a Zeiss V4 - 3-12X44 if your not dialing, 4-16x if he want to dial. Setup like that would cover a lifetime of hunting the lower 48.

You literally called out even the scope and trigger. You said every single piece. There are some things that some roksliders have said they would modify here. I didn't find anyone saying it's complete trash. I guess I'll have to write to Leupold and triggertech to tell them that their products must be shit because you said they are.

there are multiple threads here talking about the failures of leupold scopes, in rigorous testing and normal use. most of us who've used leupold scopes have experienced it, and it seems normal until you use a scope that actually works. feel free to write them, but i doubt they'll listen.

"bergarbage" is a fun thing to google, that term appears on multiple forums.

rem 700 style triggers (save the giselle super) are not drop safe, and are well known to allow uncommanded discharges. They also perform very poorly in wet/dirty/dusty environments, that's an easily demonstrable fact.

metal is more thermally conductive than wood, plastic, or carbon, which is problematic when used in cold temps and noticeable even when wearing gloves.

308 ballistics are inferior to 6.5 creed, which is itself inferior to 6 creed and 22 creed. in exchange for the poorer ballistics, the larger diameter bullets also reward you with more recoil, and a reduced lethal range.

guess i skipped the scope mounts, are they by chance talley lightweights or warne vertical split? those issues (cracking, damaging scopes) are also well known and documented around here.

we all like what we like, i singled your post out because you claim to be representing the community, yet your set up does not reflect that at all.

we all like what we like, i singled your post out because you claim to be representing the community, yet your set up does not reflect that at all.
I didn't read his posts that way at all. I took it as this is a great community to share and learn from and this is what I like. Now those that have been on here a while have a good idea for what works and what doesn't based on testing and feedback shared but I think we can be a little more civil and respectful in conveying that knowledge to newer members. Maybe share some links to educate instead of what feels like a personal attack.

Last edited:

Jon_G

WKR
I was giving my opinion and talked about my setup. I never said other setups were shit and mine was the
I didn't read his posts that way at all. I took it as this is a great community to share and learn from and this is what I like. Now those that have been on here a while have a good idea for what works and what doesn't based on testing and feedback shared but I think we can be a little more civil and respectful in conveying that knowledge to newer members. Maybe share some links to educate instead of what feels like a personal attack.
Thank you man!!! I never claimed to represent the rokslide community. Nor that 308 was superior to 6.5 creed. This dude does nothing but put words in my mouth. I was just giving my opinion on the route that I took. I never said my setup was superior or that it was the best route to take. And you're absolutely right, when someone chooses a setup with issues or makes a mistake, we're all on here to learn and be educated respectfully. Not to be called out and damn literally call my products shit. I'm super respectful and plenty of times I've shared my opinion about why any given product may not be the correct product because it's been known to fail. But I would never call someone's choices trash like this dude has done. I'm sorry, but what an asshole honestly.

Since one person wants links to discuss gear:
First, leupolds:
Post in thread 'Scope adjustment lag' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-adjustment-lag.318434/post-3277939
Post in thread 'Leupold Drop Tests' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-drop-tests.264662/post-2681873

Bergara
Post in thread 'UK gunsmiths and custom rifle builders refusing to work on Bergara rifles because of their poor quality' https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...use-of-their-poor-quality.333793/post-2846707

Rem 700 style triggers

Post in thread 'Fire on bolt closing' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fire-on-bolt-closing.317672/post-3170904
Post in thread 'Fire on bolt closing' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fire-on-bolt-closing.317672/post-3171022

Chassis for cold weather hunting

308 vs 6.5 creed
Kill thread just for fun

The rokslide special and related threads about popular rifles around here:

Reactions: NSI

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
would the fixed 6x be limiting in any way for northeast deer?

Yes. You can probably make a 50 yard shot if they stand still, but anything closer is going to be a lot harder. I would never put a fixed 6x on anything. I tried a 4-12x for a while and even 4x is limiting on the closer shots. 2-7 or 3-9 is my choice. The $500 Leupold VX3 2.5-8X is as good as it gets unless you spend a ton of money.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Lol OK. So my chassis, scope and trigger are all shit then Hu? It's a good thing we all have our own opinion. Not everyone will find every setup perfect. I haven't found an issue with mine. You must have built the perfect rifle then since you read every post.

Who cares what they think? Its a forum, not a cult. The idea that there is some unified consensus is absurd. I'm sitting out in the middle of nowhere right now hunting antelope with my aperture sight Springfield M1A. I can only imagine the problems people on this board would find with my setup.

I haven’t bought a factory rifle in years so I can’t make a recommendation there but a .308 will be more versatile for a various range of animals than a 6.5CM will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Who cares what they think? Its a forum, not a cult. The idea that there is some unified consensus is absurd. I'm sitting out in the middle of nowhere right now hunting antelope with my aperture sight Springfield M1A. I can only imagine the problems people on this board would find with my setup.
The only problem with that, is the ergonomics of the M1A are dogshit. Like shouldering a fence post.

ElPollo

WKR
First, leupolds:
Post in thread 'Scope adjustment lag' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scope-adjustment-lag.318434/post-3277939
Post in thread 'Leupold Drop Tests' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-drop-tests.264662/post-2681873

Bergara
Post in thread 'UK gunsmiths and custom rifle builders refusing to work on Bergara rifles because of their poor quality' https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...use-of-their-poor-quality.333793/post-2846707

Rem 700 style triggers

Post in thread 'Fire on bolt closing' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fire-on-bolt-closing.317672/post-3170904
Post in thread 'Fire on bolt closing' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/fire-on-bolt-closing.317672/post-3171022

Chassis for cold weather hunting

308 vs 6.5 creed
Kill thread just for fun

The rokslide special and related threads about popular rifles around here:
RS, there is some really good info in that post, but I think Jon_G was honestly trying to be helpful and sharing the knowledge he has. Lots of people are happy with equipment that has issues because they don’t push it to the point those issues become a problem or because the evil goddess of probability hasn’t bit them in the ass yet. I wouldn’t hold either against someone.

And, while I’m a big proponent of Tikkas and SWFAs, does anyone else think it’s hilarious that people are calling this combo a Rokslide special given how much crap Ryan Avery has talked about both over the years? I know he’s now using Tikka actions for his custom rifles after having trigger issues with his custom 700 actions, but he still talks about SWFA scopes being butt-ugly. I’m okay with ugly as long as my gun is still hitting POA after riding in the back seat of my truck on washboard roads all the time.

Jon_G

WKR
😂😂😂 Just let it go bro no one is asking you for all this info you're on the wrong thread. You're just proving yourself to be a dick for the sake of being a dick by continuing to bash on my setup. Read the room. People are going to hunt with what they feel comfortable with or what they are able to afford or simply because they like the damn product that's what you're not understanding.

I joined this forum a few months ago and I've sold a lot and have bought a lot. I have also learned some great, invaluable information that I've applied to my gear, or to the way I do things. I had yet to see someone come on here just to tell someone their products are shit. But no matter what, there's always that one dude, unfortunately.

Jon_G

WKR
RS, there is some really good info in that post, but I think Jon_G was honestly trying to be helpful and sharing the knowledge he has. Lots of people are happy with equipment that has issues because they don’t push it to the point those issues become a problem or because the evil goddess of probability hasn’t bit them in the ass yet. I wouldn’t hold either against someone.

And, while I’m a big proponent of Tikkas and SWFAs, does anyone else think it’s hilarious that people are calling this combo a Rokslide special given how much crap Ryan Avery has talked about both over the years? I know he’s now using Tikka actions for his custom rifles after having trigger issues with his custom 700 actions, but he still talks about SWFA scopes being butt-ugly. I’m okay with ugly as long as my gun is still hitting POA after riding in the back seat of my truck on washboard roads all the time.
You couldn't have said things better man. This dude swears he's a professional or something. That's why I told him that since he knows so damn much that he must have the absolute best setup on the planet lol. Where I'm from when someone is a shit talker, offers their opinion just to shit on someone, or is nosy as all hell we say that they are everywhere but in church lol. I appreciate your comment though 🙏