First month of 2021 and it went downhill quickly

260madman

WKR
2020 was pretty good for us. My daughter qualified for a national figure skating event. We camped a lot at my parents farm which I posted alot of pics from in the photography section. My daughter finally killed her first deer which was a small 8 and a second one during rifle that was a much bigger 8. My wife finally connected with a big 7 (broken time from fighting) during rifle.
I left my basement for FL over Christmas and rung in the new year with some awesome food and drink at home with my wife and daughter.

2021 starts out fine and I order some scopes hoping to do an optics comparison on some LPVOs. I reassembled my first AR to the way it was in 2007 hoping to do accuracy testing again with photos for proof.

My Daughter once a agin qualifies for a national event on Friday. Came home Saturday had supper and went to bed.

Sunday. 1/31. I woke up dizzy and had Vertigo that got worse as the day went on along with some minor cold symptoms. Woke up Monday and Wife said we were going to Urgent Care which I said sure thing because this isn’t right. Urgent Care treated me for Vertigo and set with PT to get my ear crystals lined back up on Tuesday. They weren’t worried about a stroke because I wasn’t stumbling down and had decent coordination. Went to PT Tuesday and failed 3 tests and was sent to ER immediately for a MRI which revealed a stroke. During this time my vision became blurred a bit and sometimes double vision that floated clockwise. Over night my heart stopped 3 times for 3.4, 4 and 6 seconds. No rhyme or reason why but my room door being busted open by nurses scared the hell out of me as I was asleep.

So here I am at mid 40s with a stroke feeling dizzy and double vision at times and a left arm that occasionally feels light and coordination is at 90%. No driving or work for several months until my symptoms go away (hopefully) possibly longer. We feel fortunate it wasn’t worse. They figure a small piece of plaque came loose and went to my brain.

Moral of the story is go for regular physicals and get the lab work done, which I do, and if the doc wants to start cholesterol meds to just do it, which I didn’t. It wasn’t very high but just a little is enough to cause an issue.

• Banned
OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
I can’t promise I won’t push the limits with regards to memes but I will back off from them for a while. I realize this site is different than others and I’ll save the toilet humor for other sites. I probably like this place better than the others I frequent.

optics reviews will have to wait until my vision comes back 100%. I have 4 scopes to compare. I can actually see out of each individual eye but not both very well. It’s like having googly eyes.

Dang man, will send a prayer up for ya. Hang in there. You will be OK. Going in and letting the pros do what they do was the most important thing. They will get you fixed up

Scoot

WKR
Prayers sent from MN!!! I hope you heal up quickly and put this all behind you. Good luck!

Billinsd

WKR
Sorry to hear. I got vertigo on a hunting trip at night in my tent and it was scary. I do go for regular physicals and get blood work done every few months. My heart should be good, but you never know. I take meds for high blood pressure to control it. I'm sure it was real high for a couple months, because I check it often. I wish you the best and quickest recovery!!!

mmw194287

WKR
@260madman -- I took a trip to the ER about a month ago after experiencing vertigo, vomiting, tingling on my arm and leg and ringing in my ear... ended up stuck on the bathroom floor vomiting blood and called 911 on myself as I was home alone. Turns out it was a stroke. Not much to speak of in terms of lingering symptoms, but still a pretty strange start to the year. 34 years old, no obvious underlying cause yet...had my bubble test yesterday to look for a PFO and lined up with a heart monitor for the rest of february.

Hang in there and take care of yourself.

fwafwow

WKR
So sorry for your experience and glad that you survived and are on the mend. I suffered a life-threatening accident in September (resulting in a TBI), so while not the same as your experience, here are my $0.02:
  • Don't rush your recovery. I was told this, but I ignored it. Take the longest time estimate and go with that. I thought I was different and that I could beat the estimates. I didn't, and the days that I didn't take it easy turned out to be mistakes.
  • A possible silver lining - your brush with death may help put things in perspective and let you see more easily what matters vs. what doesn't.
  • I wouldn't beat yourself up about not taking cholesterol drugs. There is some debate about whether cholesterol causes heart disease or strokes (with the naysayers admittedly in the minority), and while I'm not a doctor, you couldn't pay me to take statins. (Another benefit of having my accident was that I've had more time on my hands to dig into stuff I had not focused on before - and I'm not saying I'm right - my wife thinks I'm crazy.)
Best of luck on your recovery!

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
My echo came out fine. No hole. I had 2 doctors in ER and after being admitted I had 8 docs and 3 nurses in my room.

Thanks for the wishes and thoughts. I personally don’t know of anyone my age or younger that’s had this but I know there’s alot of people that have. I hope it’s a wake up call to some of my friends because they are in sad shape.

OP
260madman

260madman

WKR
@fwafwow

i had my brush with death a bit less than 2 years ago with an accident. I’m no where near 100% recovered and never will. I’m hoping this is the last thing I need to deal with for a long time.

If I had all the money for medical bills we’ve paid out over the last 10years I’d have an extra 70k in my account.

fwafwow

WKR
@fwafwow

i had my brush with death a bit less than 2 years ago with an accident. I’m no where near 100% recovered and never will. I’m hoping this is the last thing I need to deal with for a long time.

If I had all the money for medical bills we’ve paid out over the last 10years I’d have an extra 70k in my account.
I'm so sorry to hear - and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Let me and the rest of us know if we can do anything.

MattB

WKR
Very sorry to hear that. The brain and its recuperative powers are amazing, wishing you a full recovery.

I had a similar event at 48, mine ended up being a “widow maker”
and I barely survived.

Study the symptoms for stroke, heart issues and if you have any of them get to medical help immediately. Don’t think it will go away.

I was only lightheaded and had a medium feeling pressure on my chest and they darn near sent me home. Lucky for me they didn’t as I wouldn’t have made it back.

Best wishes to you and get better soon.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
260madman, I hope your 2021 gets better and you're on your way to a speedy recovery.

Take all the steps the doctors recommend to get yourself back on the mend. Think of it like a wall being built...one brick at a time. Hang Tough and stay positive.