First Pack

ahard.270

FNG
My first of many backcountry hunts coming up soon this year and can’t decide on a pack. I need one that can do it all from 3-7 days easy. I am interested in the SG Evo 40/56 and the MR Beartooth or Metcalf. First time posting here thanks for the help!

cjhall72

FNG
Following along with great interest. I am also looking for my first pack. So far, the MR Metcalf is my first choice. Looking forward to hearing from those who have used a variety of packs. Good luck.

Admittedly I haven’t used a huge variety of packs. I started with an old external frame pack sized wrong for me and it killed me on a backpack trip a few years ago. I bit the bullet and bought a high end pack and don’t regret it at all. Stone glacier sky 5900. Takes weight well, and I use it for all hiking and hunting from day trips to multiple night trips. I use it probably 3-4 times a week with weight inside at the gym as well and a good long hike in the mountains every weekend if possible in the off-season.
I’m not saying it’s the best one of the high end packs, I’d really like to try kifaru. Big fan of the people that work there and as you can see on here a lot of experienced hunters have a kifaru pack and love it. But I bought stone glacier and don’t see myself buying (2) packs of that caliber until I decide to go with something else. Great pack and I recommend it.

OP
A

ahard.270

FNG
Admittedly I haven’t used a huge variety of packs. I started with an old external frame pack sized wrong for me and it killed me on a backpack trip a few years ago. I bit the bullet and bought a high end pack and don’t regret it at all. Stone glacier sky 5900. Takes weight well, and I use it for all hiking and hunting from day trips to multiple night trips. I use it probably 3-4 times a week with weight inside at the gym as well and a good long hike in the mountains every weekend if possible in the off-season.
I’m not saying it’s the best one of the high end packs, I’d really like to try kifaru. Big fan of the people that work there and as you can see on here a lot of experienced hunters have a kifaru pack and love it. But I bought stone glacier and don’t see myself buying (2) packs of that caliber until I decide to go with something else. Great pack and I recommend it.
Thanks for the input!

Lots of good options out there. I have a Kifaru Nomad 2. Lots of versatility and it can easily go too seven days plus or trim it down to just a day pack.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned 3 packs. MR beartooth, MR Marshall and Kifaru Duplex. Sticking with the kifaru. The beartooth on the guide lite MT frame was great at carrying 50+ lbs. Really no complaints other than it didnt offer the size and modularity kifaru has.

The Marshall was a different story on the guide lite frame they are phasing out. Just didnt fit my body as well. Sucked with anything heavier than 40 lbs. The lumbar pad would sag and place the load on my shoulders. Common problem for my body type if you research. 5'10" 160 lbs 18" torso and 31" waist.

That was my experience. Packs can be like boots...they all fit everyone different. Buy a couple to compare and return the one you don't like. Or sell it here in classifieds. That's what I did. Packs retain most of their value.

One brand might fit you marginally better but I dont think anyone can go wrong with a properly setup kifaru. Their customer service is next to none.

Mt Al

WKR
We're fortunately spoiled with lots of good choices and you really can't go wrong. I've only owned an MR Selway, same frame as Metcalf, as a "high end" pack for the past few years and love it. Have friends who own Stone Glacier and Kifaru and are just as happy if not more.

mvrk28

WKR
I have heard of people buying and not liking their MR pack for one reason or another. I have not heard of people buying and not liking their stone glacier.

bozeman

WKR
I’ve had them all: MR, Kifaru, Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside........honestly, buy, try and re-sale til you find the one you like best which may mean coming full circle........best of luck!

*zap*

WKR
Decided to get my first 'high end' pack frame and I am trying an x curve, guide light and have an old style krux on the way….just spent a few hours fine tuning the harness adjustments on the x curve and I wish the attachment point on the shoulder straps for the load lifters was adjustable...….

Last edited:
OP
A

ahard.270

FNG
Thanks everyone. I think I’ll go with the sg 40/56 if I can score one for a good price.

OP
A

ahard.270

FNG
I am curious as to the reasons that you are choosing the SG bag?
Primarily due to online research. I like the fact that the bag and evo frame come together and there’s not a whole bunch of bells and whistles. Other pack sites I’ve been to you need to pick everything out independently. I still haven’t ruled out the mr beartooth but I like the added room in the 40/56, it’s compressibility for daypack use, lighter weight, and stronger material. My concern is I’m 5’8 200 broad shoulders and most of the people I’ve seen running the pack are pretty slender. I’m really looking for any help I can get. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed either way but I’d like to buy one and use it for 3-5 years and not be wishing I had something else.

cjhall72

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I also like how the bag is compressible and can be used as a daypack. I think that any of the high-end packs will serve a hunter well. At this point, I think it's about which one fits you the best and has the features you like.

TannerS

FNG
I like the thought of not having all the bells and whistles, too. Some things that should be simple get overly complex and challenging to use in the intended application. Interested to hear how you like the SG, after testing it for a season.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the reply. I also like how the bag is compressible and can be used as a daypack. I think that any of the high-end packs will serve a hunter well. At this point, I think it's about which one fits you the best and has the features you like.

This should really be the take home message. It’s a buyers market for high end packs right now with stone glacier, exo, week outside, kifaru, mystery ranch etc. all of them are good and none of them are inherently better than the others, you just have to pick the one that has the features you want and fits you the best.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the thought of not having all the bells and whistles, too. Some things that should be simple get overly complex and challenging to use in the intended application. Interested to hear how you like the SG, after testing it for a season.

I’ve been using a stone glacier solo on an x curve frame for about a year now and love it, I also have a kifaru fulcrum and tactical frame but more and more I lewn towards the stone glacier, probably going to grab the 7900 bag for my stone glacier pack.