First real pack

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Was planning on frame/bag. I like the feature of cinching things between while keeping your bag full of your gear and safe from blood potentially. But idk. It’s all theory to me since I do t have the experience.

j33

WKR
Some people like the new Kuiu packs.. The older ones weren’t great. The knock on Kuiu is they are made in China.

Wrong. Frames made in USA, bags made in Indonesia. Very little of Kuiu is China, mostly Vietnam, unlike Stone Glacier which is mostly China except for bags.

I prefer my Kuiu over my Seek Outside but ordered a bigger belt size and need to spend more time to give the Seek a better shot as I’m sure it’s mostly setup.

To the OP: I would just buy a barely used Stone Glacier, Exo or Kuiu and call it good. As a new hunter I would prioritize ease is setup of your pack vs more complex setups (Seek Outside). Get your measurements dialed so you know what size fits you and watch the classifieds.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
We’re you saying seek outside is easy to use or it’s complex?
Wrong. Frames made in USA, bags made in Indonesia. Very little of Kuiu is China, mostly Vietnam, unlike Stone Glacier which is mostly China except for bags.

I prefer my Kuiu over my Seek Outside but ordered a bigger belt size and need to spend more time to give the Seek a better shot as I’m sure it’s mostly setup.

To the OP: I would just buy a barely used Stone Glacier, Exo or Kuiu and call it good. As a new hunter I would prioritize ease is setup of your pack vs more complex setups (Seek Outside). Get your measurements dialed so you know what size fits you and watch the classifieds.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside’s suspension has lots of adjustment points, which in my opinion is a good thing, but it can get confusing for a new backpacker. They will help you dial it in though if you call them with questions.

I’ve tried Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Kuiu. Currently running the Kuiu pack, but after trying a friends Seek Outside I’ll be ordering the Goshawk 6400. Kifaru frames and bags are just too bulky and strappy for me. I really wanted to love the Stone Glacier I had, but I couldn’t get the Xcurve frame comfortable, so I sent it back. As for the Kuiu, it’s ok. It’s a comfortable pack, but it isn’t as great at hauling weight as some of the other packs. Durability on the bags themselves isn’t great either. If you can get one on sale, which happens couple times a year, it’s a great pack honestly. Mine has a 2300 Pro bag and it’s mainly a day hunting pack now. Had the 5500 bag on it prior but that bag has absolutely been shredded (horse trampled, mice ate through top lid, and dog needed a candy bar I left in the bottom).

As far as carrying stuff between the bag and frame, that’s also personal preference. It’s nice when you don’t have a full backpack, but if you’ve got camp in the bag and meat between frame and bag, it tends to pull the weight away from your back and makes uneven terrain a bit sketchy and unbalanced. This is why I’m going with the Goshawk 6400, it’s got the meat shelf on the frame but also one on the inside of the bag, and with the larger bag I can carry meat and my gear on the inside of the bag and not have all the weight pulling away from my back. I’ll still have the frame meat shelf if I want to use it. I went back and forth on wether I wanted integrated or breakaway. Finally decided why not have the option to use both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
That option sounds pretty awesome.

I just read that about the weight pulling backwards elsewhere too. I have a bum knee and lower back so my eyes and ears are open to that one.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’re right. I do that too much. I think I should pick the exo, SO, SG in 4800-6300 and move on. I have 3 or 4 things I wanted and they all have them.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
The bags with two "pontoons" that will swing to the side exposing the meat shelf looks interesting as you can load it with camp gear or meat and your bag weight isn't hanging off the back and pulling you backwards. Kifaru , Eberlestock and Badlands all have a pack in this design. As if you need more to think about! I too am looking for my first top quality pack - great conversation and appreciate all the knowledge from fellow Roksliders!

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Can you link or list which bags those are? I’ve also watched videos where even though people had a frame they still put the meat in the bag but wrapped in a plastic bag. Dry bag?

I see seek outside also has integrated bags.

I had a SG Talus 6900 in a cart today and also a SO Goshawk 6300 in a separate cart today. Held off for now.

Last edited:

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Can you link or list which bags those are? I’ve also watched videos where even though people had a frame they still put the meat in the bag but wrapped in a plastic bag. Dry bag?

I see seek outside also has integrated bags.

I had a SG Talus 6900 in a cart today and also a SO Goshawk 6300 in a separate cart today. Held off for now.
Kifaru straightjacket, badlands MRK 3 and eberlestock F1 frame with batwings.

Gone4Days

WKR
The bags with two "pontoons" that will swing to the side exposing the meat shelf looks interesting as you can load it with camp gear or meat and your bag weight isn't hanging off the back and pulling you backwards. Kifaru , Eberlestock and Badlands all have a pack in this design. As if you need more to think about! I too am looking for my first top quality pack - great conversation and appreciate all the knowledge from fellow Roksliders!
all of the packs discussed in this thread are designed to keep the meat right on the frame close to your back. With or without a batwing design.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve noticed the 357 mag and the integrated SO line as well. Little simpler and cheaper.

I keep coming back to wanting good storage with a zipper that makes it all accessible, a way to keep meat separate and close to my back, and fairly light weight, and big enough to expand or cinch down small.

I keep coming back to SO Goshawk and SG sky 5900/Guide 6900.

Love the option of adding the spectra on the So. You can conch things between it and the pack or take it off and use it as a light and small day pack.

It ends up like $900 with all the options but something like the Straightjacket needs extra pockets and a camp bag and lid as well as a frame and I believe ends up over $1000 or close. Not that it’s not really nice as well mind you.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
all of the packs discussed in this thread are designed to keep the meat right on the frame close to your back. With or without a batwing design.
Right but the bag, albeit MUCH lighter than a sack of meat, is positioned on behind the meat carrying area contributing to the pack pulling backwards.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
So we’re you thinking mostly of doing an integrated pack and putting meat inside? The SO Unaweep integrated 6300 offers the same options as the Goshawk but without the breakaway frame. It ends up like $150 cheaper.
Right but the bag, albeit MUCH lighter than a sack of meat, is positioned on behind the meat carrying area contributing to the pack pulling backwards.

Last edited:

Phaseolus

WKR
So we’re you thinking mostly of doing an integrated pack and putting meat inside? The SO Unaweep integrated 6300 offers the same options as the Goshawk but without the breakaway frame. It ends up like $150 cheaper.
You want the option of putting the meat between the frame and bag. I have used many packs over the years and am currently using a Seek Outside with a Peregrine 3500 bag, I also have a larger Goshawk bag for when I am going longer or during cold weather. Seek Outside is made in Grand Junction, Colorado if made in America is important to you. Their fabric is almost all sourced in the USA too.

Stay away from the low end Eberlestock and Bad Country packs unless you want a low end backpack.

OP
N

Novice

Lil-Rokslider
Seek outside goshawk 6300 and stone Glacier sky talus are my final 2 picks.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I for one am DONE over-analyzing! Ordered a new EXO K3 with 3200 CI pack and Lid in Fusion camo. The 10% off for ONX Elite membership takes some of the sting out!! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I appreciate the honest konwledgable feedback from fellow Roksliders - in fact that is what sealed this deal. Thanks!
Go to the Badlands website and look at the MRK 3 video and you'll understand what I am talking about.